Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Potion information for review/discussion

Discussion in 'Release 38 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Umuri, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

So i'll post below some basic info on the potions i've uncovered and recipes:
    The stat potions each give +15 of each stat, and last 10 minutes.
    However some of the potions use really rare ingredients, while others are much much easier to get.
    Something can farm in a 1 skull area (for str potions) should not be equivalent to something that only drops off bosses (for int potion).

The resistance potions as well have 10 minutes but provide a ton(50 resistance). They also have the issue of one requires tier 1 materials, the other tier 5 materials.

The regen potions have 5minutes , and seem to be on the order of 0.5 hp/sec, vastly below food.

The healing potions go from your base 50-100, to 150-250 on the high end potions.
    A marked improvement, just hopefully the expectation isn't that we're chugging focus potions at 500 gold a pop for the ~150 variant, to replace regen.

Chatele, By Tor, Budner and 2 others like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yes but the major factor to look at is do they work in combat? that is the major difference.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Looks like it, however, even at 1 hp/sec, you're talking a single extra heal per minute (60 hp), or 5 extra heals over the duration of the potion.
    And it requires 2 tier 5 resources to craft.
    Or, to put another way, the equivalent of chugging 2 health potions and taking 4 sec out of your combat.

Weins201 likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Can you give some example of rare ingredients?

5. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Daemon Hoof, Pheonix Talon, Lich Skulls, etc.

6. Womby

Womby Avatar

Seems to me if your stats are already high enough to farm those ingredients then you don't need those potions. Unless you want to sell them, of course.

Chatele, Matt Harris, Budner and 2 others like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

I think that's a very good point. They have tremendous PVP application though.

Still, it begs the question, what is the point? It's cool, it's very cool, and it's fun. But is it balanced?

If someone can already go out and solo something to get the ingredients, why do they need the potion? Even in PVP, it seems like it's something that would almost ensure you were the winner, which is an odd way to design a pvp system if you're looking for meaningful combat because it further pushes player skill to the background (and it's already in the background).

I love the concept of the potions, but it saddens me that there's not a clear purpose other than the cool factor. I wish we had more "balance" considerations for pvp and let that trickle down into pve.

By Tor likes this.
  8. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Seems odd that the stat potions are better than the buff spells unless the regs are hard to find.

9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Eh? the buff spells are by far better

hint: attunement increases the effect of most buffs quite strongly

just one random example, Strength of Earth at level 80 with about 100 in Earth Attunement gives you 18 STR and lasts for 3 Minutes

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    discipleofweb likes this.
  10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Thanks for the info, good reason to build your earth tree. It is too bad it can't last 10 minutes like the potion though.

GrayFog likes this.
  11. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

yeah but i think that would be overkill if the spells would last that long, dunno :D
    For potions it makes sense

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ive found that in open PvP, its already hard enough to have all 6 of my usual buffs up much less have the time to also pop a potion (how they are now unless they changed it to an immediate drink with no wait bar). Most the time in this game its a gank when you are already being attacked by a mob (with their huge radius) with half my hp, buffs wearing off. Hopefully the build these new PvP areas so you can stay prepared full time to PvP. I'll bet leagues dont allow potions.

13. Drocis the Devious

Imagine if the person ganking you now has an active potion?

That's what I was talking about.

14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed, its a easier but they also may suffer the same aggro issues.

But if these potions only last 10 mins and take 3ish seconds to drink while also needing very rare stuff to make, one would have to be insane to use them.

I used to absolutely own the 5 skulls in Seq Collosus at adv lvl 70. With all of their changes, its been hard to kill them at adv lvl 89 now and they are green. I really wish these potions would give you +10 stats for 3+ hours like food so that it makes killing greens easier (which actually makes sense).

15. Drocis the Devious

I think having them for when you're pretty sure you'll be involved in pvp is a good move.
    From a PVE standpoint, I like that they're very limited. I can see using them to go solo a dragon or something like that.

I do plan to use them. So hopefully everyone thinks like you do and they'll be cheap to buy from other players. :)

16. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I don't know, I almost wish that the spell buffs lasted longer just so i don't have to keep re-applying them every 3 minutes. I believe their duration increases with level, but I cannot speak to how much (my highest spell buff is probably at level 50/60). Of course, I may just be misinformed if the spell level determines duration and 100 is a good amount of time (5 or more minutes).

discipleofweb likes this.
  17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

In first patch Regen potions each last 10 minutes and 1 point and 2 points per second for regular and imbued.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

lich skulls.. great. more cannibalism. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.