Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]After swimming, can't use any glyphs in combat or out of combat

Discussion in 'Release 38 Bug Forum' started by Sheamus McGuinness, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Reproduction Rate: 50%
    Blocker? YES
    Details: I jumped into bloody bay to swim to the clockwork dragon island and when i got out of the water ally glyphs were greyed out. I went into combat and they are also greyed out. I can't cast anything or use skills.
    [​IMG]
    Steps to Reproduce: Swim to the dragon island in blood bay.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4) System RAM: 24517
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 GPU RAM: 1990
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.541.Date.01.25.17
    Area: Novia_R3_Island01_01
    Area Display Name: Blood Bay
    Loc: (-712.6, 19.2, 0.4)

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Reloading the scene will fix this for you as a workaround. This issue has been reported infrequently across releases, and no concrete reproduction case has been found to force this state in a way for our team to review and fix.

I ask that the community work to find as close to an exact step-by-step repro case for our team to finally bring this problem to a close. I will even provide an honorary nickname for whoever discovers a concrete repro case to this bug, because i want it dead. :p

Previous reports:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ed-out-after-exiting-water.75223/#post-729780
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...yed-after-exits-from-water.60420/#post-636394
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...hen-i-have-plenty-of-focus.76913/#post-743992
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/water-locks-combat-out.58157/#post-617887
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/blocker-s-unable-to-cast.58489/

Fister Magee and Alley Oop like this.
  3. Sheamus McGuinness

Yes I did reload the scene and that fixed it. I think it may have something to do with standing in shallow water. What I was trying to do when it happened was get JUST close enough to the shore that I could stand but not close enough for the dragon to aggro me.

Ill work on it!

4. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

This happens to me frequently if I'm attacked while "swimming" in shallow enough water to walk in. If you swim from deep to waist deep water (which you would stand/walk in normally) you will keep swimming until you stop. If you enter combat during this time it seems to be what causes the bug for me. Some shore lines are difficult to climb out of also and less frequently may cause the bug if you're on a shallow 'ledge' at the shoreline (jagged terrain). I've been able to reproduce it pretty frequently in the shores of malice at the little island ruins. swim towards island, get shot by an archer, get bugged combat. It may have to do with drawing your weapon while in that limbo zone also. I think it may sometimes let you draw your weapon while your "swimming" in that type of shallow water.
    @Attenwood

5. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

I take it back, you don't have to enter combat or draw weapon at all, but it does happen seemingly only after you go over an area "swimming" when it's shallow enough to walk.

6. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

@Attenwood
    i used this method to reproduce the bug... ( works a lot of times ) usually i'm on solo mode and i run to the Troll without fight skeletons and jumping down from the rocks to reach troll as faster i can.

in NON COMBAT MODE ... i REACH this point at ravensmoor: Area: Ravensmoor (Dungeon1_Entrance) Loc: (-105.1, 10.4, 15.5) POINT 1
    i swim to the troll : Area: Ravensmoor (Dungeon1_Entrance) Loc: (-217.0, 8.7, 11.5) POINT 3

after that i attack the troll... i wait that troll STUN ME (sometimes i was stunned in water but i think that on the river is the same).... after that ...
    i turn back to the starting point swimming NOT TOUCHING A - S - D keys (ONLY W and mouse with right click to change direction.. this is what i do .. maybe this mean nothing) again to POINT 1

and when i exit from water.. all glyph are GRAYED .. ( TADANN )

the bug happens probably because when i'm on water i lost the "AGGRO" of troll (reaching the river).. but this method works maximum 2 times.. (i dont' know why) after 2 times.. never happens anymore..

[​IMG]

first time this happens to me.. i swimmed to the small HOLE on the image 2 .... but i think it's just necessary to reach river and attack the troll.. (usually i use a chainlighting)

to unlock the GRAYED icons.. i have to reach again the ISLAND of troll.. to stay without doing nothing out of the pillars... (no aggro on me) .. after a while (1 minute?) ... icons came again clickable. (some times i'n on COMABT MODE to ulock the icons.. but i think that NON COMBAT also works)

P.S. .. i already know that the BUG probably doens't appear to YOU :) sometimes i have to exit and enter the scene to make it works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

small thing of note: if you exit water and are standing on a slope while your glyphs are greyed out, the IK won't kick in until they become active again.

8. Sheamus McGuinness

@Attenwood Yeah I had this happen again in blood bay. I do believe now it has to do with taking damage while in the water.

9. Net

Net Avatar

Happens sometiems to me, though usually it is fixed after few seconds... sometimes it fixes itself after a minute or so of running on land, but usually it is fairly quick self fix. Still cannot reproduce it reliably though.

10. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Ok I think I've figured it out. We're looking at the wrong side of the equation. It's not leaving the water, but the way you enter the water that causes the issue.

Reproduction rate 100%
    Steps to reproduce:
    1.Kill something close to water (Probably don't have to kill it, just get flagged as 'in combat')
    2. Sheath weapon just as you enter swimming depth water (Must still be 'flagged' as in combat when this happens and not just in combat/war mode)
    3. swim around a while until your peace mode bar comes up and then leave the water.
    4. Can't use any glyphs

It seems a hot-fix workaround is in place that after a while will fix your glyphs after you leave the water (~15 seconds it seems, but if not, then this means the time spent either swimming or in combat prior to entering the water directly effects how long your bar will be unusable after leaving the water if you performed the mentioned steps when entering the water. Either way the bug is still present.

Similar actions that DON'T produce the bug:
    1: Kill something close to water
    2: Enter water with with weapon still drawn
    3: Wait for peace timer and swim back to shore.
    4: Can use glyphs right away.

1: Kill something close to water
    2: Wait long enough for 'in combat' to clear
    3: Sheath weapon just as you enter swimming depth water
    4: Return to shore.
    5: Can use glyphs right away.

This would explain why sometimes if you are attacked at range it could also happen if you have trouble getting out of the water, you may end up reproducing the first steps on accident just trying to get up on shore even though you haven't actually attacked anything yet. EX: You get attacked, you try to swim to shore and are considered 'not swimming' for a split second because you cross over an underwater ledge or jagged edge that is shallow enough to be considered 'on land' then if you draw/sheath weapon or swim away instead and go into peace mode and then return to shore, you may likely be bugged. Again I think it's because of overlapping 'time to peace' timers running at the same time and applying/clearing different player status tags at the same time.

@Attenwood

11. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

It's all about the timing of sheathing your weapon so has to be something in the code for those timers. if you sheath it to late, or to soon. it doesn't seem to reproduce the bug. there's a sweet spot. I've played with the time a bit more, and i'll say it's more accurate to say sheathing your weapon just as you are about to enter swimming depth water produces the bug, if you sheath at the exact moment you enter the water, it does not. But by timing it correctly I can still 100% reproduce this if you want to hit me up in game and follow me around while I do it, to see what's happening, that's fine with me.

12. Sheamus McGuinness

@runicpaine, I actually had this happen yesterday without being attacked first or having my weapon drawn. I think because of the natures of the water in Blood Bay it is easier to reproduce this bug there. Its almost like if you go out of combat in water (for whatever reason) the delay timer that usually gets applied to your bar when going from in combat to out of combat seems like it is being applied only AFTER you finally get out of the water and are standing but since your bar has already gone out of combat while in the water it still applies the delay timer graying out the glyphs and putting it in a logic loop that you are still in the water and not on dry land.

13. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Exactly, it's not about leaving the water that triggers it, but what happens before you go in the water and how the timers/status stacks are applied. We just never considered what happens before we go in the water because we aren't aware of the bug happening until we come out of the water. Though based on what happens if you're already in the water, these same conditions could potentially be applied.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I've had it happen just running around the pot. No unsheathing required.

Net likes this.
  15. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

@Attenwood

Thanks for working with me in game on this. Unfortunately we weren't able to reproduce it even though earlier I was having 100% success. Again I think it's because of latency and when certain sequence stacks are initiating.

To detail reproducing the other bug that may be related for your reference.

Draw weapon wait for a combat glyph to show up.
    Sheath weapon and then immediately use an attack and enter the water at the same time. (note if you stay in combat mode to long you immediately go to peace mode and won't be able to use an attack as you enter the water)
    No matter how long you keep swimming after entering peace mode, when you return to shore next, it will auto draw your weapon immediately.

I suspect with heavy client side lag or possibly heavy network latency, the stacks will get even further jumbled and cause the grayed out glyph bug. I just wasn't able to reproduce that one tonight other than that single occurrence when I was reproducing the above steps. I will work on reproducing it again tomorrow from a slower computer and internet connection to see if the extra client and network lag causes different effects.

16. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

@Attenwood
    Solved it for real this time. Reliable reproduction is still an issue but I found out whats happening at least.

it's an issue with the z-axis. probably random variables may increase the chance of it occurring, (like jagged terrain, going out of combat stance, shallow water you can stand in) but each time the bug occurred today, I observed i wasn't actually touching the ground. in the instances where the bug fixes itself i noticed it was at the exact moment that my z-axis fixed itself and my feet actually touched the ground. I started noticing a slight shift in my character each time it cleared itself, at first I thought my size or something was changing but then I realized I was hovering a very tiny bit above the ground and then when my glyphs unlocked and the shift to my character occurred I was touching the ground again.

So i think it's that you aren't in the water anymore, but you aren't on ground yet.

So unless/until your z-axis corrects itself your swimming status isn't being cleared because you haven't touched land yet!

MrBlight likes this.
  17. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Successfully reproduced about 20 times in Shores of Malice and each time it was a z-axis issue, as soon as my z-axis corrected itself my glyphs came back. And they shall call me Lord/Lady of the Lake

MrBlight likes this.
  18. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

finally :)

19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I still have this issue as of yesterday.
    Can reproduce pretty much on demand in greymark forest. Literally second i swim. In or out of combat, no skills or glyphs till i relog.

20. Net

Net Avatar

I have noticed this few times in Blood Bay. It seemed to me when the glyphs were grey and unusable I was floating a bit above ground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.