Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R38 is great

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Lazlo, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

In just a couple of hours of play I've already seen more improvements that I really like than in any other release that I can remember. I love the bank improvements, the new enchantment system, and food being relevant again (even if it needs tuning). I also have a much easier time reading conversations in the new dialogue window. I do like the old running animation better, but not exactly a big deal.

I make a lot of critical posts, so I thought I should give credit where it's due. Lots of good stuff here and haven't run into any significant new problems. Very nice.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes it is fantastic and for running animation, I hope we can tweak it a bit to look more natural, but I do appreciate that animations have gotten some love so don't get me wrong. Thank you to the Devs for all their hard work and also for all the awesomeness in R38. :)

3. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

I'm loving it.
    Flames look cool on immolation and the locations are significantly better looking. The play of light on sunsets and sunrises.
    Superb work, devs.

4. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Question: did they fix dusk so it's not insta-change of ambient light?

Hornpipe and Leelu like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's a lot of good stuff. I have to comment that performance (as in framerate) took a significant hit though.

[edit] I found the reason (or at least a major contributor) for the decrease in framerate and made this bug report.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Loving the new sound effects as well.

3 cheers for food buffs working in combat now!

Bow Vale, Nikko, Retro and 6 others like this.
  7. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Sorry, but for me this is the worst release since a while.
    Until now I have not seen improvements, only downsides.
    The walking/running animation is bad.
    Sound is worse than before (e.g. ahrvesting wood).
    The avatar is not centered - awful.
    Enemies are randomly way harder (not all, but quite often), also wolves now always attack me.
    Earth elemental pets are nerfed too much (useless now).
    Pets do not follow orders.
    Enemy respawn rate too high.
    The container limits are annoying, cannot see a benefit to performance as I am opening several in parallel now instead of only one to find what I am looking for.

I hope to still find something nice about this release this weekend....

8. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Xenos is really great !

9. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I love using my food buffs now. Might just be me, but I think my fighting is a wee bit faster as well. Very pleased.

10. Marishka

Marishka Avatar

We should start a betting pool what the revision number will be by Monday ;)

11. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Very sorry you are having such a rough time with the release.

RE: Avatar not being centered. Did you press the "V" key to put the camera over your shoulder by chance?

RE: Earth Elementals: We did fix an exploit where they were immune to other Earth Elementals so therefore could be used to distract and therefore exploit mines but other than that we did not change any stats so not sure what nerf you are referring to.

RE: Enemy difficulty and respawn: These did not change in this release in any systemic way. Do you have locations you can report? If so please post them in the bug forums.

RE: Pets disobedient: Please bug report. We don't know of this.

Nikko, CrazyPhil, Retro and 9 others like this.
  12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Absolutely fantastic release. Load times are amazingly better. Love the scaling of masterwork and enchantments. Digging the rare loot!

Fantastic work!

Stahlknecht, Bow Vale, Nikko and 9 others like this.
  13. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Avatar

I like some aspects of the release and if you are all about looks, then I agree it might be great. However, I am more about content than looks. Fizzle chance has gone through the roof I went from 85% standing still on immolate to 55%. wow!
    I hate that I can no longer toggle auto attack. I like the fact that I can set it permanently, but there are times I do not want to auto attack and now I have to go into a menu to change it. Ugh!
    While I am sad to see the earth elemental (EE) functionality go away, I completely understand. Did not realize it was considered an exploit until you mentioned that DarkStarr. I just figured that was part of the resistance because two similar creatures were battling each other. However, as long as my EE can also damage the EE's in the mines, I do not care.
    I do not like the change where I run through mobs and am now slowed down. That just sucks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  14. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

My guess is you're using a 2h weapon. Before they would give bonus to fizzle as 1h weapon but now they correctly treat it as if both hands are empty. Still, should only be a max of around 20 change so not sure what you're seeing.

15. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Avatar

Yes I am using a 2 handed weapon, thanks. Will the weapon tell you your fizzle chance like the armor?

16. Gix

Gix Avatar

Someone mentioned "sound improvements" and I have to scratch my head on that one... primarily because I hardly hear any now including the music.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  17. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

If you are using bow (2h) with leather armor, yes, confirmed we now have a bit higher Air fizzle chances. Bad news for Air-leather users with 2h weapons but its too early yet, I'll give more time to this change and see how it goes.

Numa, Retro and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  18. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

I agree with the OP. Great release Portalarium!

Nikko, Leelu, Retro and 2 others like this.
  19. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Hi Darkstarr,
    to be clear: I absolutely love this game. Have played > 2000 hrs and put in a couple of thousand dollars...
    I especially like the contact with the dev team and your interaction with the community.
    Even if there are some controversial topics like decay or PvP the discussions had always been beneficial.
    So my comment was not intended as a general offense, but only for my initial not optimal experience with R38.
    I know you put in a huge effort and lots of new content which I had no time to see (and partly most likely will never see as e.g. I am not doing any PvP, except on QA)
    I think I was mainly complaining as I could not continue mining as easily as before to get producer XP -> maybe a different thread on ways to get this XP outside of mining.....

-------

RE: Avatar not being centered. Did you press the "V" key to put the camera over your shoulder by chance?
    -> will try when back at home and update my bug report if it was fault, else provide pictures

RE: Earth Elementals: We did fix an exploit where they were immune to other Earth Elementals so therefore could be used to distract and therefore exploit mines but other than that we did not change any stats so not sure what nerf you are referring to.
    -> my elemental gets easily killed by another earth elemental, should at least last for a while.
    Also damage output is very low compared to the "wild" elementals.
    For the exploit: would have preferred another solution like periodically adding another type of enemy

RE: Enemy difficulty and respawn: These did not change in this release in any systemic way. Do you have locations you can report? If so please post them in the bug forums.
    -> location: Twin foothills, thugs, bear, wolves. I will do another pass today evening; maybe I had just bad luck (like in the previous release when meticulous did not trigger for me). In case I can reproduce I will file a bug report. I almost died from a patriarch bear + elder wolf, should not happen nowadays...

RE: Pets disobedient: Please bug report. We don't know of this.
    a) my fero spider does not attack when requested, only when I command for a 2nd time, but never for the 1st (devensive state, in aggressive it does not follow attack comands at all)
    b) an elemental does not stay as told but always returns to me after a short time even if I did not move far off (guess less than 10 m).

Yesterday I did not have time to do proper bug reports because I prefer to retry and confirm, but I will try to follow up ASAP.

Thanks for your feedback and for the hard work for R38 and for the new lot deed I just won :)

20. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

+ 1

Leelu, Retro and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.