Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

2 Handed weapon balance

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Uncle Sven, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Sven

Uncle Sven Avatar

I understand that balance is ongoing, I am just adding my two cents.
    I use both shield and wand, or a bow normally probably a 50/50 mix.
    When damage for 2 handed weapons was reduced, and 1 handed increased, I didn't like it, but I knew I still had a trade off of a lesser fizzle chance. This is no longer the case.

So this is my wish for 2 handed weapons (for the sake of balance)
    My very good wand has 8 bonuses.
    1 from the heartwood 1 from the strap 3 masterwork and 3 enchantment.
    My very good shield has 8 bonuses
    1 from the material 1 from the strap 3 masterwork and 3 from enchantment.
    That's 16 bonuses.

My very good bow has 8 bonuses.

For the sake of balance if a 2 handed weapon needs double the fizzle rate of a 1 hand weapon.
    Either every bonus on a 2 handed weapon should be doubled,
    Or every bonus on a 1 handed weapon should be halved,
    Or the fail rate for masterwork and enchanting on a 2 handed weapon should be less by half so you could have 6 masterworks and 6 enchants, as easily as two one handed weapons,
    Or the fail rate for masterwork and enchanting on a 1 handed weapon should be doubled so it would be nigh impossible to achieve 3 masterworks and 3 enchants as it is 6 of each now.

Chatele, Denied, MrBlight and 10 others like this.
  2. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

If its so bad or so unbalanced i Wonder why most of people are still using 2handed weapons instead of one handed ... Oh btw wands and staves are not considered as weapons, they are like spell channeling objects.
    The only advantage i know from "dual wielding" was dual wands >>> - 30 % fizzle , compared to a staff (2handed) that was - 15 % ... Its is has been corrected now.

3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Btw wands and staffs are weapons, and they are in weapon slots. And they are completely unbalanced same as puremage builds at all.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Uncle Sven

Uncle Sven Avatar

Total amount of bonuses. As I mentioned in my original post, is what we are discussing here.
    Wondering why most people still use 2 handed weapons is kind of an assumption, and neither here nor there in this discussion.

5. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I guess most people who use 2H wepons are GMed in their schools, like me, I use Bow which is 2H as well. I wouldn't like the idea that I have to train on pure mage just for the bonus of 2 wands.

6. Uncle Sven

Uncle Sven Avatar

I just don't see why you are guessing and wondering, or not wanting to retrain. These statements have nothing to do with the total amount of bonuses on one or two weapons.

MrBlight likes this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The advantage of dual wielding is the ability called offhand attack. I do not see any other attacks that cost 0 focus.

8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

you get way better melee damage with 2 hander but as a mage it seems pointless. could throw in some 2 handed only skills in each tree imo

9. mass

mass Avatar

I would prefer something like 1.5x bonuses for 2H but only 1.5x fizzle chance instead of doubling both.

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

I don't know about this - the halberd nicely complements my staff since using pure magic is pretty costly in terms of XP. The added range is useful when you're in cloth specially when you're up against multiple opponents.

mass likes this.
  11. mass

mass Avatar

Might be interesting to have a 'mage' 2H polearm that does less damage than a halberd but also has less fizzle and other attributes that balance it appropriately.

Numa likes this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

I would LOVE this to be ingame. Maybe a smaller intermediate version - longer range than the one handed spear but less than the halberd. And just one gem socket to balance it out.

mass likes this.
  13. mass

mass Avatar

Was thinking about this and my recent use of death magic. We need a scythe!

Trevour and Numa like this.
  14. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Back in the day, when our enchants gave weapons a glow.. A + fire damage gem was twice as powerful on a 2hd weapon. as an example..

Numa likes this.
  15. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Am I the only one who sees what the OP is stating? He wants to know why you can get more enchants on 2 weapons then 1 in a pure form. He is asking why when enchanting a 2hd with 8 enchantments they cant equal the potency of 16 ( on two 1hd items) that is all he is asking unless im mistaken.
    @Uncle Sven is this correct?

And see my above post, it was done in the past..when done 2hd = double 1hd. Release 18ish or so, not going back that far to check..

Sheamus McGuinness and mass like this.
  16. Uncle Sven

Uncle Sven Avatar

@Insinious FizzleThorpe you are correct. Also I acknowledged that less fizzle was a trade off, albeit a poor one.

Sheamus McGuinness likes this.
  17. Numa

Numa Avatar

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    mass and Insinious FizzleThorpe like this.
  18. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

I thought, at least with the wands and staff, that the bonuses from enchant and masterwork were double on the staff vs the wand. In which case the big advantage of two wands over one staff would be in the type of bonuses you got. Instead of 1 focus bonus you could have half the focus and an int bonus on the other wand for instance. Is this no longer the case or is the problem with other types of weapons?

Numa likes this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

The biggest change I'm aware of is the boost of the staff's fizzle reduction rate to 30%. That and the dual gem placement which matches the attunement values gained from wielding two wands. But maybe a GM enchanter here or someone much further along the road than I am can give some insights on this.

Laurana likes this.
  20. Denied

Denied Avatar

@unclesven has a very valid point. I weild a 2 hander because it looks cool. its actually now far better for me to 1hand + wand, i get 10 more attunement (2x +10 attunemnt enchants, instead of just one), 2x the Stat bonuses, the wand offsets my fizzle chance on my earth spells (which is stupid that i even need to worry about fizzle in a magic school targeted at melee classes), a better parry reduction, more bonuses from materials..........

they are "balancing" 2 handers out of the game

Luca Xante likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.