Milling balance

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Rennik, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

This might have been covered elsewhere (The forums are far too large for me to keep up with).. but while decorating my home, decided I'd like to make a Fancy Stool to act as an end table (btw, need a recipe for a coffee table and end table). To make this stool, I need 2 boards and 4 poles. So, doing the math (scary!):

1 tree = 1 wood (leaving out high level skills that might give 2 or 3 wood)
    6 wood = 1 timber = 1 board
    2 timber = 1 pole

i.e. it takes TWELVE trees to make ONE pole. Therefore, it takes 60 trees to make ONE Fancy Stool!

In contrast: 1 board + 1 arrowheads (1 ingot) + 5 bundles of feathers = 500 arrows :D

So it takes the same amount of wood (60) to make one Fancy Stool as it does to make 5000 arrows. :eek:

Someone please explain to me how this makes sense. These trees look to be 18" in diameter and 25 feet tall. How is it that we get so little wood from one tree?? One tree should logically be able to make about 24 boards or more! There really needs to be a bit of logic applied here... these recipes are a bit ridiculous.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

3 wood + 12 scrap = 2 timbers = 4 boards.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Okay, did a more research... and my memory is way off, as is my math. Apparently, my recipes were incorrect.

From what I now gather:

6 Wood = 2 timbers
    1 timber = 2 boards
    i.e., 6 wood = 4 boards
    2 timber (equiv. to 4 boards) = 1 pole

Fancy Stool = 2 boards, 4 poles

So, 27 wood to make the Fancy Stool. That same 27 wood = 4.5 timbers = 9 boards = 4500 arrows. While not as bad as I had originally posted, that's still a lot of wood to make one stool.

This is why I'm an artist and not a scientist... I suck at math. LOL

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Consider you can chop a whole tree down under a minute and carry 100+ wood at a time, the number seems reasonable.

I think they base the end value on the time it takes to gather resources rather than the real physical attributes of the wood.

If realistic is what they're aiming for, then we'll be dragging one whole chopped tree from the zone to our home at a time.

5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

As Barugon mentioned in his post, you can cut the wood cost down to 3 by using wood scrap to make timber. Wood scrap is very easy to get/make. The amounts required for crafting are to deter the 'casual' crafter. That way, only those serious about crafting things will bother, thus, making a way for crafters to make money selling their wares.

Rennik and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Basically anything that uses poles is way more expensive than everything else.

Crappy chairs? Best avoided, no one will ever believe they cost you that much to make, and so they will sit on the vendor forever. Gothic chairs? They use boards, and are a reasonable price. They will be bought and sold like there is no tomorrow.

Kara Brae, Rennik, Numa and 2 others like this.
  7. Jarek Aumarr

Jarek Aumarr Avatar

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Go to Sawtooth Thicket, kill and loot all human NPCs.

Lore Derwyddon likes this.
  9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

This was brought up in a post a while back. Have no clue where or how long and I am too lazy to search, but I think it was around the wood cost for making a bow. The devs did reply that there were going to do a final balancing pass on recipes eventually. Not sure if that was done already or not.

Rennik likes this.
  10. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

I'm hoping that when they get around to adding more skills to refining that it will make the material costs more reasonable and give a reason for someone to specialize in refining. Currently the only reason to refine is if you need the materials, the xp sucks and there's no reason to go through the process to sell the materials after refining.

codedragon76 likes this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Bows, and some weapons with wooden handles can be salvaged at any Carpentry Station. Sawtooth Thicket is a little harder than some places but Soltown Catacombs is a great place to get salvageable wood and metal for beginner players. Any place where you fight human NPC's is a good spot for salvaging. Also, some crates that you break open, chests, and other containers you find in the game will have Wood, Metal, Leather scrap and more.

Lore Derwyddon and Rennik like this.
  12. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I sure hope they're not done... I just about passed out when I saw how much wood it was going to take to make a Rock Maple bow! :eek:
    10 Rock Maple Timber = 1 Rock Maple Bow Stave
    4 Maple Timber to make 1 Rock Maple Timber
    6 Maple wood to make 2 Maple Timber

So:
    1 Rock Maple Bow Stave = 10 Rock Maple Timber = 40 Maple Timber = 120 Maple Wood!

Essentially, I need to clearcut a forest to make one bow. This bow better better one-shot a troll. :D

majoria70 likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol well that made me laugh. I think so many recipes need to be looked at. What we need is a list beginning about all of them so when the team gets time they could consider fixing the recipes that need fixes. ;) Then the info would be all in one place. Making a recipe harder to make is one thing but that it is harder to make because it needs an unexplained and excessive amount of wood or resources to do it is just kinda strange. Now making it a high level or degree of mastering the recipe would make more sense than adding a bunch of necessary resources to it that the item wouldn't normally need to make. You could perhaps use of those resources easily in trying to make the recipe over and over, and I know that sounds like not fun, but I'm just thinking out loud ;)

Rennik likes this.
  14. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I think back to my early EverQuest days... to make the super-special "Trueshot Longbow", it didn't take a lot of materials, but it included a very rare ingredient. That might be a way of doing it as well... it could be a drop from a nasty or hard to find mob... or just be a very uncommon drop. The beetle carapace that is used to make hardened leather is kinda like that...

majoria70 likes this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This is why Rock Maple Bows are so special. If you get lucky and find one with some good bow strings snap it up!

Rennik likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And what does rock maple do for you?

17. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

A Rock Maple Bow Stave will give Weapon Critical Damage +5%

Add to that a good bowstring, and you've got a pretty nice bow... then to get it enchanted.... :D

18. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I've built a Hardened Leather bowstring already... still collecting the Maple wood to make the bowstave... gonna be a while...

19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Go take a look at my vendor in PaxLair. Right up the hill at the entrance, Viking 2 Story house. S Mart Crafting Department. I went out on a limb and made a bunch of components, such as bowstaves of various types. They are priced at cost +10% at wood valued at 50g.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, which is better, critical damage or critical chance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.