Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Combat Focus regen rate is way too low :D

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by GrayFog, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yup, with just two or three in an party, ofc. it works in The Rise for XP ;)

Spinok likes this.
  2. EclipseMaiden

EclipseMaiden Avatar

Well they decreased fizzle chance by 5% but i already dont have a fizzle bc cloth now lets get some focus people!

Gamician, GrayFog and Draugur2 like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

If people didn't spam their abilities so much, they wouldn't have a focus problem. It encourages resource management.

If you're going to be spammy, that means that you get more downtime for the extra oomph that you're outputting... meaning, in situation like PvP, people can use that to their advantage.

I'm not going to be so bold as to say that it's perfect as it is, but I'm liking what I see so far.

4. EclipseMaiden

EclipseMaiden Avatar

I respectfully disagree. And I am assuming you are melee build?

helomech and GrayFog like this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

Your assumption is correct. As someone who is struggling to play the game because they avoid spell-casting, I have a hard time sympathizing with anyone who uses spells. Particularly those who can clear 4-5 skulls areas without breaking a sweat and especially any two-handed-plate-armoured-combat-wizards.

Might I suggest people campaign for more focus points per [Train Intelligence] level instead? So that those who want to focus on spell-casting have enough resources to do what they have to do while still keeping the concept of regenerating said resources as a meaningful practice.

Hopefully, once combat pets get to a reasonable level of competence, maybe having them around will offer an alternative way of playing a spell-caster by allowing them to be more conservative?

All in all, having downtime isn't a bad thing.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  6. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I estimate 25-30 mins every hour spent grinding on mobs is now spent as downtime. I did some times today of how long it takes to regenerate focus out of combat and it was pretty terrible.

helomech, GrayFog, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

While I do agree with you ona plate wearing dual handed swordsman casting, yes manage your resources and keep chipping away with your charged attack or auto attack. It really does not work that way for a mage that is not chipping away hitpoints standing there getting beat on. If we are not casting, we are not doing damage and the Mob is healing faster than our focus can regen.

GrayFog, Numa and EclipseMaiden like this.
  8. EclipseMaiden

EclipseMaiden Avatar

I spend more time in "down time" then i do hunting or killing. I am a healer and I use alittle magic. I understand your frustations in melee combat but I have NEVER hit as hard as melee hits mobs with double slash, cop de grace (w/e that ability is) and thrust. You have better dmg but less range, we have less dmg more range and loss of focus. All I am asking is for the regen rate to be increase slightly.

helomech, Kara Brae, GrayFog and 2 others like this.
  9. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

:( i see the new patch and i thinked: WOW they have fixed the LOW focus!!! ... nope. :( maybe this week i switch my business to something different to SOTA. (real life i mean)

helomech and GrayFog like this.
  10. Shift

Shift Avatar

The game is pretty much unplayable at this point. I ended up switching from mele to a caster because the focus regen was so slow. No one wants to sit around and wait for focus to regen. Thats just not fun. I honestly wish developers would buff other play styles instead of nerfing to match. This video has an interesting take on Buffing vs. Nerfing. Maybe the devs should watch it.

11. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

I agree, If I'm logging on at all now, it's just to do crafting. The focus regen may have been a tad high before, but the game was suddenly drastically more fun. It would have been fine to dial it back a little from there. With the newest change, not only is combat no longer fun at all, but I spend 5x more time out of combat just trying to regen focus than I spend in combat.

If I'm farming a zone for xp, the act itself can become boring in and of itself. I don't need to spend 80% of my time just twiddling my thumbs on top of that.

I'm conflicted if I should even log on for any reason because I don't want to be an 'online client' because the devs could mistake that added user stat and get the impression that I'm enjoying the game in this state. I was finally starting to see more and more people online until this nerf came, some of those people had already left due to frustrations and only came back because of all the fun they were hearing about..... yeah they're gone again and I wish I had a legitimate argument to make them stay after the last patch because it's more fun to play with friends.... but I don't and I wish I did because were having so much fun for a little bit there.

helomech likes this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

(this is also a reply for @Toadster as well)

I understand the problem but if it's a spell-caster specific issue, I'd recommend making spell-caster specific skills compensate for that issue. Like increasing the amount of focus per level in [Train Intelligence] or something along those lines because, then, it becomes a part of your build and not something that globally affects everyone.

I mean, that's what [Tap Soul] is for, right? I mean, you're a healer so you can't use it as effectively as others (although you CAN use it) but... maybe that's by design. Maybe someone who has the ability to increase the up-time of an entire group shouldn't be able to have that high of a sustain him/herself.

Does that make healing more fun? Probably not, but maybe then the issue is about how enjoyable certain archetypes play out and we should re-evaluate THAT instead.

I'm not saying that I can't run out of focus; I'm saying that running out of focus becomes a more interesting aspect of combat that goes beyond the "fight, sit idle for a while, repeat". I mean, you COULD still play like that if that's how you want to play, but it rewards players who builds their characters for sustainability... as they won't burn focus as much as the next guy and (hopefully) deal less damage too.

@runicpaine I'd shy away from the "I see that people aren't online as often, it must be because of THIS exact thing we're talking about" argument. There are many reasons why anyone might want to play another game instead of this one in its current state.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  13. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

:D :D :D :D
    :D :D
    :D

yeah, right, like we all are noobs and spam our focus to zero...
    I don't have to spam my stuff at all to kill stuff in DR for example, and yet the focus still draws too quickly after just 3 to 5 wimpy undeads, no matter what, no matter how many and how often i stack glyphs.

Since you seem to be so pro in Melee and Focus resource management, tell me what i should do that i am prolly not already doing anyway...
    And don't tell me i have to use "tap soul" or even Aetheric Feedback or whatever or i will go into full rage mode :D

And btw.
    Train Strength
    Train Intelligence
    Train Dexterity
    Heighness Awareness

all are at 100 GM Level

Inner Calm is at 80, but + -2.5% less focus cost at 100 won't make an huge difference.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    helomech and Gatsu. like this.
  14. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

maybe my impression but seems that FIZZLE a spell consume much more focus now...

15. Gix

Gix Avatar

You're fighting 3-to-5 monsters back-to-back and you're surprised you're out of focus? Okay.

Look. Read my post. I never said anything of the sorts. That's how I feel about Focus regen. Back off with the snide comments.

16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I did read your post, and the way you wrote it simply sounded like you are the "pro" and all others are the "noobs".

Again, sorry, but the way you just write your comments is just :D :D :D
    Ok i get it, we are noobs, you are the pro player.

Like i always fight back-to-back.... holy s... It was just a random example.

Funny how you always assume others playstyles and then point fingers.

Make a video of how you hunt in DR in the center or The Rise or whatever, i will closely and happely watch your focus.
    In The Rise i actually would be ok with so many pauses, since the mobs are obviously a lot harder there, but in DR?....

17. Gix

Gix Avatar

@GrayFog

18. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

@Gix

i did read that, i mean the other post where you said:
    "If people didn't spam their abilities so much, they wouldn't have a focus problem. It encourages resource management."

Oh well, doesn't matter.

I just think it isn't balanced very well.
    Was way better in R36/37.
    Previous the latest patch it was way too much, everyone knows this.
    But now it's just ugly.

helomech and FrostII like this.
  19. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

The 'fun quotient' for me has decreased from about an 8 to around 3 because of the focus regeneration reduction. I'm glad others agree and I hope they fix it soon.

20. derfus

derfus Avatar

Logging until this is fixed. The continuous grinding for resources is bad enough, no it's too slow to consider.

helomech, Prime2 and GrayFog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.