Does attunment really do anything?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gideon Thrax, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I have skills leveled up in every magic school - and wondering if I should unlearn the skills I'm not using anymore so the skills in the opposing school might see some attunement benefit... is it worth it to unlearn for the sake of Attunement?

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I was under the impression that attunement in one school of magic no longer causes a penalty in attunement for another school, so it would have no effect to unlearn skills. Here is the note in the R29 Instructions:

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

it definitly does?

I've locked spells at 40, and leveled up the others taking attunement from 5-10 all way to 50 ish and the original spell has a noticieable boost.

not only that, half your attunement translates to resist ( 50 attunement in fire = +25 fire resist.)

The resist alone makes sense to keep going, especially for a pvp player.

Bow Vale likes this.
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Id also argue that at this point, without high attunement across the board, its very hard to stay competitive in PVP. ( the base resist is pretty huge )

5. Sir Aular Glorthalion

Sir Aular Glorthalion Avatar

It seems cumbersome to me from a system standpoint to have to level trees and skills I don't want to use in order to get resistance to them. I'm shooting for a specific character type - Paladin (heavy armor, swords, shields, life magic, sun magic) - and don't really want to level Fire just to get some fire resistance.

Heavy armor skills also seems lackluster to me. Increase defenses at a cost to armor durability. I would love to see some resist passives (or active abilities, maybe?) built into the Heavy Armor tree. Or some other tree - Tactics? Focus?

Nikko, cartodude, Kambrius and 2 others like this.
  6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Aular, If you dont want to raise anything magic wise other than life and sun then dont. You can always get resistance from warding gems you can put on your sword, armour chestpiece, ring and necklace to protect you from air, fire, earth, death. Easier than raising the other magic school attunement just for the resistance. However, if you do that then you will miss out adding extra attunement to life and sun. R/Boris

Bow Vale likes this.
  7. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

For a few weeks now I've been leveling all my skills to 80, like them or not, just for the attunements. You get a lot of attunement bang for your xp buck at first.

Taking a skill 0-70 doesn't use a ton of xp and you get about 6 attuement for that... 70-80 will take a chunk of xp but you get the last glyph too.

You get 1 attunement point every 11 skill points in your tree, so if you're sitting at 79 attument with 879 points in your tree... it's especially worthwhile to pick any skill and raise it the 1 point needed to hit 80.

I've found a higher attunement helps a lot too.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

While thats solid advice, he still needs to do the resist passives/attunement base resists, if he ever wants to be up to par in a PVP point of view ( is my point )

I can run as a paladin as well .. put in the exact same ward gems, but spend the time doing 70 in each magic tree giving me that bonuse resist.. the difference becomes pretty noticeable quickly.

Of coarse this is only an issue when regarding PVP currently, but i think will be more noticeable as mobs start actually using magic types.
    ( and the passive resists fall under the same tree type, meaning u have to cast fireball 5000x time anyway to become resistant to fire. Might as well dump the exp in it, and get the attunement resist for it also )

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  9. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

Isn't it based off of the number of skills in the tree? An average making it 100 attunement with each skill at 100?

10. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

While I was trying to figure out when my next attunment point would be coming I read about it being based of skill averages & 100 in each skill being 100 attunement too, and it may be.

I started watching my increases carefully and noticed they'd come in a different times , like skill 81 or skill 82... which confused me lol. But I did see they would come every 11 points. When I was trying to hit 82 attunement I did the math, 82 x 11 = 902 and that's exactly when the point came, it didn't matter which skill was used to get the point. That math also worked with other skills at different levels.

So basicly, take the next attunement point you want to reach, say going from 81 to 82 and times it by 11. Then choose the lowest skill in the tree for the cheapest skill point increases to get you to that over all skill tree number.

MrBlight likes this.
  11. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

Actually... its times 11 for trees with 11 skills. For trees like Fire with only 10 skills its times 10.

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  12. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Attunement increases the power of and resistance to negative effects from a specific school of magic. - Sota Wiki definition.

Yeah I would like to get more out of magic and get the resistances to work like they should.

13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Get a trash chest, bow, ring, and neck. Put the same gem on all spots.

Choose the gem based on a tree you have mostly unlocked.

Read all the skills of the tree you gemmed for and take notes as to what they say without the 50 attunement in gear.

Put the 50 attunement worth of gear on and repeat.

Attunement is quite valuable!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  14. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

If you are only interested in PVE, the only schools you really need to level are fire (mage defense) and death (lich defense) for the time being. That's 99% of PVE magic in the game right now.

Also, you get most ROI on lvling the active skills; the Innates takes too much exp after lvl 60 or 80 to bother with if just lvling for resistances.

Numa likes this.
  15. Sir Aular Glorthalion

Sir Aular Glorthalion Avatar

I don't understand this. If I get Fire attunement, this helps Sun and Life? Do skill tree's attunements help other trees as well?

My statement was really three-fold:
    1. I feel I shouldn't have to raise Water skills to be able to resist water. It's not in the theme of the character I want.
    2. I think Resistance skills should be a high-tier skill in some tree or other (Focus, Tactics, or Heavy Armor make the most sense to me);
    3. I think Heavy Armor needs something added to it to make it better;

I'll check on gems - thanks for that suggestion. I still feel like I'm learning this game.

16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Aular; I think Innascual hit it on the head with his reply. I was speaking from a PVE point of view. You can always raise fire (Immolation and Ring of Fire are quite handy in DOT damage) As a paladin you may not want to raise death unless you want to RP a dark paladin (Some of those spells like Death Touch, Death Shield and Corpse explosion are handy as well, as a swordsman which is gimped, i faced 8 bandits simultaneously. Killed two with swords with the help of fire field/immolation and destroyed the other six by casting corpse explosion while healing myself with death touch). If you raise both you can then save the gems you are going to put on your weapon/armor chestpiece/ring/necklage to further gain attunement in Life and Sun and have a more balanced character. It is your call but even from a PVE perspective it is important to take less damage from certain mobs (Fire/Death magic) and you can plow them down and level faster. R/Boris

Numa likes this.
  17. Retro

Retro Avatar

Does this concept of attunement apply to weapons weapon skills also? i.e will my Ranged skills be somehow improved if I spent more total points in Ranged.?

Or my real question, do I really and finally have to put points into Multi Shot? (level to 80) ;) (off topic, does anyone use this skill?!)

18. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

No attunement only affects magic spells and resist. You can have 1 skill in archery at 100 (the main one) and take every other skill in the tree and it wont increase the base damage ( unless it itself is a base damage increase skill) Melee has no attunement.

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Yes, I have it trained up and use it when kiting. Stacking it and hitting 5 mobs all at once does quite a bit of damage (only moderate to each, but added together its a lot).

Its far less efficient than other skills, but when kiting you can't reasonably get off attacks consistently. Therefore, having one that can hit multiples is great. I'd prefer a targeted "volley", but for what it is, its ok.

20. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

There should be a cap on resistances, otherwise you get people who have been playing a long who become nearly invincible. Doesnt make for fun and fair pvp.

An example would be...

1. You can only increase your attunement beyond 25% for 1 element. Once you have one attunement above 25%, all others are capped.

2. The cap only affects attunement, but item buffs can raise your other resistances above 25%.

3. Items cannot raise any attunement above 25% except for your attunement focus.

25% I think would be too generous. I personally would cap it at 10%, but allow it to go up to 20% max from items and buffs.

And they should make it so chaos attunement makes you less resistant to other elements.

They ought to keep the weaknesses to opposing elements thing. otherwise the game is leaning far to the casual creampuff gamer and allows for overpowered characters.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.