Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Combat Focus regen rate is way too low :D

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by GrayFog, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And we are all happy that you're happy......
    But it's not especially relevant to the OP, now is it ... ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    helomech likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hey @Gatsu.
    I know that English is not your native tongue, but let me say that in spite of that, you've done an excellent job with your post above ^^^^ in the way of "summing up" the issue at hand. Your numbers are off somewhat, but the point remains....
    What is expected of us in terms of combat vs skill gain - given the new focus regen rates - is simply not reasonable for the average player....
    So, good job !
    I don't always agree with you on all topics - but on this one, we agree completely ! :)

3. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Tested this at level 40 and 80 with stats set to 40 and 80 with a magic build and melee build and this value felt good without food.

Yeah would be nice to know more info about the builds they used to test magic and melee and decided it was fine.

helomech, Numa and Gatsu. like this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

For the folks who don't seem to have a focus problem, what exactly are you doing? I mean I'm grinding content that's been green to me for months and I'm running out of focus constantly, with high passivse, good gear, etc.
    I tried this again on my lvl 40ish character on another account and it was even worse, out of focus every fight.
    If you can get out of combat to regen, fine, but if you're immediately attacked again, well, you're pretty screwed.

Gatsu., Numa, Kara Brae and 2 others like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Try eating cake or pie after yoir meal. Not joking

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im dual wield and almost exclusivly melee. Quick-stacking twice when possible to reduce focus.

Mix offhand attack with other skills for it's 0 focus cost, mix heal potions in with healing touch (1 or 2 glyphs) to reduce both focus use and potion cost (lesser potions cost like 30ish gold to make).

If you have extremely low fizzle, gm passive stance gives you +15 focus regen, but doesnt allow you to cast much of anything unless you are straight up true pure cloth mage

7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is exactly what I thought. The focus regen itself may not be the issue. Make food TRULY worth making/consuming/selling. Especially the higher-tier stuff. Things like spider legs with garlic butter and bear surprise should help significantly in combat so we aren't all fighting for 1 minute, and then standing around for 1.5 minutes. It's not very fun.

Numa, Barugon and Kara Brae like this.
  8. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

:D :D :D i still laughed...

And here is the thing:
    You are making use of dual wield.
    Gives you one quite powerful offhand attack that costs zero focus...

So every Melee should dual wield now to mix offhand attack with other skills? :D :D :D
    What game design would that be where everyone has to be the same in builds?

Enough said...

And i am not joking either...

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You can increase focus regen by eating cake or pie after eating something better.

stacking (2 to 3x) helps immensely, and if your on a fully locked deck that helps too. Saying every melee should dual wield is inaccurate.

10. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yes but i doubt that's working as intended.
    And if it is intended, then it just makes no sense, take a meal + a cake or pie?
    If i would eat so much in RL my stomach would explode and i would rather take a nap instead of fighting :D

Now if it was a meal + Apple or something i would maybe understand :p

Gatsu. likes this.
  11. Retro

Retro Avatar

To me it seems the only real change is you actually need food now and potions aren't just something you throw in a trunk forever..:) (although I still do ;))

This is the first release that I've even considered eating, cooking or using a potion...so the change may need tweaking but it's moving in the right direction imho.:)
    my 2 cents...

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That's fantastic to hear. thanks for sharing. I was hoping to hear things like this helping and I really do think the focus needed nerfed so we use other things to counter the effect of this like food, buffs, armor type and stats, etc and that these need to be viable in helping to do that. ;)

edit - I looked up viable to see if it was a viable word to use to explain what I wanted to say, so yup is was ;)

vi·a·ble
    1. capable of working successfully; feasible.
      "the proposed investment was economically viable"
      synonyms: feasible, workable, practicable, practical, usable, possible, realistic, achievable, attainable, realizable;
      informaldoable
      "it sounds like a viable solution"

Retro and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

As an archer, im actually not having a focuse issue aslong as im running 2h-4h food. Pretty sure the numbers are fine for my build.
    (Rapid / Aimed shot being my main source of dmg )

But i know that numerous people in my guild are basically unable to grind. Especially anyone trying to do a pure mage, or a specialized mage type.

I understand the need to make food viable, and i actually support that idea. But i think new mages might be having a ROUGH time.

Numa and Kara Brae like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I understand, I'm not trying to over-ride concerns and to say focus doesn't need balanced still so all feedback is important as well ;) Thanks for helping in this endeavor ;)

MrBlight likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nobody sells cake or pie! I spent an hour looking for a vendor that sells cake or pie so I could try this out. Nope.

Numa likes this.
  16. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I'm evaluating the focus regen rate but I'll be honest, it feels about right currently. Based on hours of testing and what I'm seeing here, I think the issue is that focus use scales up a bit too sharply with skill level. So players with more skills in the 80 -100+ range, run out more quickly.

Out of combat, the time to go from 50% to 100% focus with no food buffs or special gear is 30 seconds. It is not intended that you end every fight full focus. If that were the intent, we should just remove focus and let you cast endlessly.

In combat, you should not run out of focus in a normal, non-boss type or control point situation in a single fight. If you are having focus issues please try using normal attack some. Try using food. Consider more focus for your gear or skill training. Remember, focus regen is based on a percentage of your total focus. In a pinch, try using a focus potion. The new ones have a decent drop rate and are way more effective than the old ones.

This is the first time I've really been involved with setting a number and I spent a LOT of time trying out different styles. I'm not sure we're doing another patch this release but I play a lot as a real player and every time with a different setup and gear. My last couple builds never ran low on focus. I'll try something like what @HogwinHD described and bump my skills up to his level this weekend and see if I have focus issues. Again, I suspect the reason I wasn't seeing it was that I usually keep my skills at 80 for high end testing and the focus use just climbs fast at high levels.

17. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Can you add expected focus use to the "in 20 levels tooltip"? It's an incredibly relevant piece of information that is missing for some reason.

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree, at least with my character build.

I think it's challenging the way it is, and I like that a lot.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This.

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

@Chris : its not feeling right to me. My focus is fairly high and I'm melee. I'm having to stop playing after yellow encounters and wait until my focus regenerates which is a pause in the flow of fun. I'm reading that a lot of people are feeling the same way. Any chance you can adjust this a little?

Edit: Ps, this is with food buffs, so i think focus regen needs some adjustment.

FrostII, Gamician, Gatsu. and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.