Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Combat Focus regen rate is way too low :D

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by GrayFog, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

As someone who has life as his second main magic tree i recommend it to have diametral effects.

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Completely disagree! Except you are right that the progress is to much grind to do.

The changes made it more fun to me!
    It's more difficult, it's more need to figuring out things and it's slightly more challenging.
    Playing 2-3 hours on ~5d and week , most of the time doing nothing related to gamemechanics like PvE or crafting, just exploring, socializing, roleplaying, decorating...

And i welcome every nerf that makes powergaming worse or at best obsolete.

3. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

@Chris said your regen per second in combat (and out of combat) is based on your focus pool size - so the bigger your pool, the more you will regenerate each "tick" (i.e. each second). He also said the current design is that half your focus pool will regenerate in 30 seconds out of combat.

So, here's the math. My focus pool is 509. Half of that is 254, and divided by 30 is 8.46. So I am regenerating 8.46 focus per second out of combat. In combat is 1/5 that now, so 1.69 focus per tick.

4 hour food adds 4 focus per second out of combat, so 12.46 focus regeneration per second total. And in combat, it adds .8 per second, so my regen in combat is 1.69 +.8 = 2.49 focus per second.

So food helps a little, but the biggest impact you can get would be from increasing your focus pool. If I double my focus pool, then the math goes to 509/30 = 16.97 out of combat, and 3.39 in combat, plus .8 from food would be 4.19 per tick. That would be a hell of a lot better than 2.49 per tick.

Trying to figure out now what exactly it would take to double my focus pool...and it actually seems to me like in the long run, this math might piss off tanks more than anyone else. Especially once taunt actually works. Because if a tank has to switch their gear to get enough focus, they're giving up a lot in terms of other inportant stats like dmg mit and dmg avoidance, seems like.

Numa likes this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Its a bit harsh though most my skills are 100-120 after 2-3 mobs in the rise im about empty. Thats with constanan gear some +focus inner calm almost gm food.

FrostII likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Then there are two stances, Passive Stance and Spellbinder Stance. I don't know how well they work, because I use mostly melee with some magic thrown in, and so I don't find them attractive for my build. But if these skills aren't attractive to players who are casters, maybe the devs can use more specific feedback on them. I did invest in the Focus tree with some other Focus-managing skills in their 70s, and manage my Focus pretty well in battle, even without eating any food to give me a regen boost.

Numa and Gix like this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Even with a focus pool in the 800ish range, I'm empty after every fight, even having to finish fights with autoattacks; using 4hr surprise food. I wear cloth armor just for the focus pool.
    My husband, who plays a pure melee character in plate, can barely even finish fights before he's out of focus.
    Something's gotta get bumped somewhere, the current system is simply not fun.

Almar, helomech, Numa and 6 others like this.
  7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I don't think focus regen needs a big boost just a slight one.

But education on the game mechanics needs to be given also. I like the idea that this will push people to make more streamlined decks where they can stack the glyphs and use them. For example my whirlwind attack takes +20 focus if clicked alone after stacking to 5 it takes 7 focus. Having a deck that will let you stack your glyphs effectively and not lock up is going to be increasing important in this game with these changes. But in order to maintain a deck that can stack and not lock you have to limit the number of unique glyphs in your deck to 9 at the most. So there is always a spot to put something when it comes up. If you decide to split you deck into groups then you have to take out a unique glyph for each grouping in order to still not lock up.

I use four locked, 1 set of 2, and one set of 4 which allows me to carry 8 unique glyphs in each deck, geared to what I am fighting. I can always stack and only caste when stacked. Unless there is an emergency and I start dumping focus.

GrayFog, Gamician and FrostII like this.
  8. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Yes, with Food. And I'm actually looking at closer to 2 per second without Food and 2.6 with Food. Rounding gets me 3.0. So yeah it is even worse. I believe some people would say the number without Food is closer to 1 but 2 is what I feel comfortable with saying I have. I do however have a long way to go in Train Intelligence, Inner Calm and Follow Through in order to even get a halfway decent regen rate. I figure those three alone will take approximately 4,ooo,ooo, that's right, million experience points or more to get to 100. For me and the time I play that probably means 60 days or longer based on the new Focus Regeneration Rates.

In the meantime I take a step down in what I could do. But I understand how the MOB's feel. I'm sure they have probably contacted their Union and complained how we are killing them too fast and how they feel our being able to kill more than one or two of them at a time is unfair. My guess is it probably was the combination of the Obsidian Bear, Obsidian Wolves and Red Spiders Unions that complained the loudest. But I could be wrong. Those Elves have been taking a beating lately and they may have sent a representative to Portalarium to complain. Once I drop back to level 4 MOBS, I'm sure a group from the Human Fighter and Thug Union will be visiting Portalaium next and demand we only be able to kill one of them an hour.

FrostII and By Tor like this.
  9. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

One thing that works really nicely for me as a pure mage : Elysian Illumination + Soothing Rain + Passive Stance + Life Tap.

Numa likes this.
  10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Focus rate doesn't seem to change much for me. Although most of my skills are prevented to go beyond level 80 due to glyph cost. Do you guys all have GM in those skills?

Stundorn likes this.
  11. helomech

helomech Avatar

They've ruined it. The focus rate for a swordsman is screwed. Noob , Pro.... it doesnt matter. Its absolute crap. Forcing me to play with other people is pretty much what this is. Its beyond explaining whats happening, video's or anything else. There are a lot of people that had built their character into a certain play style. This patch has completely nerfed my character. I was never strong enough to chill in the Rise or any other place where groups and elite players can go. But Ulfheim is now a guaranteed death sentence for me.
    So I built my character for my game play. I adjusted all of my skills to be used as efficiently as possible. What once was a 5 patriarch bear killing machine now has to run like hell after killing 1 bear. Maybe 2. I have almost more down time than playing the game waiting for stamina to build. Like i said... its garbage. So I guess its back to level 3 areas with my Level 80 adventuring character.

(oh yeah... I did read the disclaimer about this being an unfinished game.. Blah blah blah).... The patch is garbage,

Prime2, Montaigne and By Tor like this.
  12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Passive stance is the solution to your focus problems. Learn the skill, lock it on your combat bar, use it when done killing everything around you, then exit combat mode.

Your focus regen will build right back up very quickly and if you need to heal up, that's the time to cast a few heals on yourself.

Sure, this skill has a lot of bad negatives (damage resistance, attack speed, move rate, fizzle chance penalties) but as soon as your hp/focus bars are full, you right click and dismiss the the buff under your name. Or, switch to another stance that cancels Passive out.

At only level 24 in Passive stance, I get +7.4 focus regen for one minute (in and out of combat) but even from near empty on both pools, it only takes me about 10 seconds or so to fill up both my bars.

Now combine that with food, natural regen rates, and pick up Aetheric Feedback... you have only seconds of downtime after a fight.

In-combat regen is another animal altogether, but if you're waiting around after fights for your health/focus bars to regen then try these skills out.

Stundorn likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I used to solo several Obsidian cultist at one time at adv lvl 60. Yet, they have nurfed us so hard that at adv lvl 89 I can barely do 2 at one time and they have been green mobs for some time (all my attack skills (melee/earth) are GM (blunt 107) and most my passives are between 80-90). This weekend, I shifted my char to a reagent free deck and took off all my +8 / +9 gear. I put on basic +1 matercraft versions as well as a +1 2h axe.

I can barely kill one GREEN 900 HP obsidian cultist. 2 is difficult and Im usually out of focus (yes, I stack). Even at that, I have to wack on the thing for several minutes. My XP pool is now getting decimated...

And yes, it looks like nurfed focus even more in one of the last patch's late last week (one of several it seems, because it was not so bad earlier in the week).

I have to agree now, focus regen is ridiculous and left me standing around for a lot of time.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I hope the dev's are reading this. Simply put, my guess is that they are trying to put limits on a stat such as xp/hour. I can COMPLETELY understand this but what you are doing with focus does not make the game fun. I would suggest that if you are trying to hit a xp/hour target that you simply lower mobs xp and increase focus.

People are going to be happy running around slaying stuff continuously with less xp per kill then making them wait 1 minute between ever battle standing around doing nothing. They probably wouldnt even notice less xp.

Kara Brae, HogwinHD, Numa and 4 others like this.
  15. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Seems that the vast majority are hating this change..and several have stopped playing because of it. I hope the devs take notice soon and remedy this.

Kara Brae, helomech, Prime2 and 3 others like this.
  16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i cant compare, maybe its really about the skills >80 - and i just have Ice Arrow and Discharge at 80 and everything else 40-70.
    I have no issues, to me focus usage seems less, and i sometimes run oof and then have a downtime like chop one tree or gathering one cotton or just loot the 5 bandits i killed.

Yes i feel focus is nerfed, but if i read what i read about farming or grindong highlevel Mobs it sounds that the nerf was needed and that it never was intended to grind e.g. obsidian bears like this.

17. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

This deserves more than a simple 'like'. People hate 'hurry up and wait' IRL, why would that be fun in-game? I'm sure the dedicated power gamers would notice (and care about) some modest nerfage in the mob xp, but that's not the bulk of the players who are going to pay the bills. Interacting gamer = happy gamer. Bored gamer = unhappy gamer headed somewhere else.

helomech, Prime2, By Tor and 2 others like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Interesting read there @2112Starman .
    Here's a couple of tips for you from Friday afternoon:

GrayFog and Caree Death like this.
  19. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

That's a very, very important point. This game seems to be all about grinding and waiting. We wait for scenes to load, we wait for horribly slow harvesting and skinning, we wait for focus regen, we wait for skill cooldowns, we wait for slow crafting of items, we spend endless amounts of time just running around trying to get to where we want to be even after waiting for the dang scene to load, we are expected to stand still and wait even while we fight, since we can't be effective without a non-movement stance buffs . . . . there's not a whole lot of fun happening during these times. That's a big problem when you are competing for gamer's time and interests.

I don't expect a 'wait-free' game, but geeze, this is getting ridiculous to the point of absurdity. I don't care how detailed and realistic a game is, if it's not fun, it's just not fun.

Yes, we are still in development, but with less than a year from release (supposedly), it's not like these systems are going to change dramatically when they have so many other issues to finish, and even if they did, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

One of my long time gamer friends starting playing last week. It's been interesting explaining how things work to her. Her most often made comment so far is, 'well that's stupid' . . . . . . unfortunately, most of the time I have to agree with her.

We went to fight the troll last night, 3 of us, but by the time the troll was 2/3rds health, I was out of focus, so I just spend the whole rest of the fight running around dodging the troll while hitting him with auto-attack arrows for 7-12 per hit. wheeeeeeeeeee, hold me back before I have an excitement attack!

Caree Death, Numa, helomech and 3 others like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Like all other MMOs, this one has largely turned out to be another level treadmill.

helomech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.