Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

They fixed Combat Targeting, it works awesome now!

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Thwip, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Oh my Goodness, they fixed Combat Targeting! It works Awesome now!

Someone deserves a steak dinner.:D Good Job!

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

really? because hitting next target is still selecting the thing farthest from me.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The one issue I am having now with it is when I use my mouse to hit a skill on my hotbar, it is taking the Hard hard target I have on the enemy and putting it on myself. Not a big deal, but I wish it stayed on my enemy target.

FrostII and Weins201 like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, but that's pretty much my only hitch with it now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
    FrostII likes this.
  5. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

If I don't select anything, it picks a target, and will switch targets. If I select(I double-click) a target, it will stay on that target and not move off, unless I select another target or that target dies. Brilliant! :)

I'm really happy about it, fun factor is definitely up.

Yeah, the order in which the "next target" key selects targets is better for situations with Archers and Mages, but the important thing is that it stays put and does not switch!

***Edit: Oh I get it, if you are Melee you need it to pick the target nearest you so you can hit it. I was thinking about it from a Ranged perspective. I agree, "Next Target" should probably choose nearest first to smooth out Melee fights.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I was fine all afternoon, then went into crag foothills with a group, and once again I'm just standing there not swinging...hitting G 5 times to get target I'm on top of . Wasn't perfect before... but as a melee I preferred it to this nonsense. I should never not be attacking with auto-attack on and a target in range.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Just double click the target you want. I know that's not the best answer but it's a good work-around.

8. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

Yeah, it's fixed at long last. There are still one or two glitches, but that's acceptable. Much more pleasant to play now :D

9. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

So when you F2-F8 your party, you will never heal a different target than the selected partymember?

FrostII and Weins201 like this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

My issues and perks:

Next target now selects the target under your reticle instead of cycling. I like this because you can pick what target you want, but difficult because if a target under your reticle it will not cycle. This works the same for friendly targets.

Target bars drop for no reason is frustrating.

I don't like always target ting myself when playing a healer. But I am willing to work with it if they tweak the 'g' key.

When switching from an enemy target to a friendly target sometimes the bar will get stuck. This requires an escape out of the current enemy target to select the friendly target.

Friendly target only selects what is under you cursor it will not cycle the rest of your party. If there are multiple melee fighters on top of each other you have to switch to the Fkey targeting to get the right one.

Calusari and FrostII like this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I still have problems with target being switched on me. This is especially an issue when I have a Mob that is nearly dead and I would rather take out a Mob that is causing me damage and nearly dead rather than one with full health. Cycling through targets is hit or miss. @Chrystoph Reis, I have the same issue with having to hit the Cycle key several times to get the target I want. Sometimes, it just won't select the target I want. It's like it doesn't exist in the cycle. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but sometimes I will shoot a creature who hasn't noticed me yet, and it will receive no damage until it actually acknowledges me. Another problem is with ranged attacks hitting Mobs other than the one currently targeted. This is a big issue for me. It does no good for me to target a creature if the game is going to ignore my choice of targets. Anyway, I have noticed that the targeting is better than it was, but it still has things that need to be fixed/refined.

FrostII and Innascual Inch like this.
  12. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Agree with @Sorthious . Next target button targeting is still not working as it should.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Thing is... say I have 3 enemies around me, and I kill the one I'm targeting. I should then move on to target next closes as before, not stop attacking then have to hit G multiple times to hit something right in front of me. Having to double-click a target or even cycle through G to start attacking again a target right in front of me is not a solution. This has gotten me killed as those precious few seconds can be the difference between life and death for tank/melee classes.

I honestly don't understand why this is so hard, it is a mechanic I have literally be using of the last 10+ years...

Leostemplar, Numa and FrostII like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

When your hard-target dies then it switches back to auto targeting, which I think is the right thing to happen. The problem is that when you press your Next Target hotkey, it locks a target other than the one the auto targeting system currently has selected, which I think is the wrong thing to do. The Next Target hotkey should first lock your current target and then move on to the next target of you press it again.

I don't usually like to mention developers but can you please look into this @Chris?

Matt Harris and Numa like this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I had auto attack going in one of the Ruins and was firing some arrows at a Flesh Flayer when I got jumped from behind. Not really a problem - it's a PVP zone... So, I turned to face the player that was attacking me and targeted him - then got hit but the Flesh Flayer from behind and my avatar automatically reacquired the Flesh Flayer putting my back to the attacking avatar.

Hrm... auto-attack and PVP is no bueno. :p

16. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Maybe the targeting system can be modified to take into account the type of player(ranged or melee) that it's trying to set a target for. For instance, you could have a player designated targeting type that can be toggled; Ranged Targeting or Melee Targeting. Melee Targeting would cycle through targets closest to the player, while taking into account things such as a mobiles remaining health, how much danger they present to the player,etc. Ranged Targeting can do the same thing, but can be limited to targets within a players range of fire, and can cycle based on present danger to the player rather than which mobile is closest. Having a toggling option would, in my opinion, help to define the parameters used to target mobiles, as well as give players the option to change that targeting type should they wish to at a later time.

17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I think the aiming system is far from being satsifying right now.

I already made a post about this in this topic.

In my mind, we shouldn't fire at a selected target but we should fire at an aimed target (And if a target is on the path, it is normal for it to take the arrow). This way, it would imply knowing how to move properly and tactics (not just knowing how to press a button to select the target).

I have never killed as many rabbits (and lost arrows) as from the R36.Currently, when I select a target and it dies, if I forget to select another target, I automatically attack the nearest one. In the end, I sometimes see an arrow going at 75 ° from the trajectory of the arc to go to the rabbit hidden in the grass ...

How can one imagine that the current targeting system is good and fixed ? It's beyond my imagination... Personally, I think the aiming system in R35 was good. I can understand those who really need to select a target like healers, but I don't believe that basing ranged attack skills on the generalized principle of target selection is a good thing.

Also, @Berek , I think this topic should go in the feedback forum, not in the general discussions.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Agreed, thanks all for the feedback!

Hornpipe likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree for healing targeting should be both one click on player if they are in my distance since there is a range for heals and that depends on how leveled up innate skill for spell distance are of course. Also one click on party portrait helps a lot. It does not always work though and otherwise my wrist starts killing me if I have to fight with the targeting too much while healing a lot like all day sometimes ;). Also I've been having troubles with resurrection. I try to rez someone I'm standing next to and I walk all the way around the body to find a spot that lets me rez them and in the meantime it takes time away from healing the rest of the party. You almost need a rezzer and a healer in some battles which we try to do because Resurrection takes so much time to accomplish.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm surprised that there's still issues implementing a "shoot what I'm looking at" logic.

LookAt mode:
    If I'm attacking, hit whatever's closest to the reticle. If [whatever I'm aiming at] is out of range of the ability I'm using, hit the 2nd closest... etc, etc. Always in relation to the reticle going outward.

Cursor mode:
    If you're in cursor mode, don't let any attacks happen unless you click on a target yourself. If you get attacked and you have no target, make the aggressor the target. Change targets by hotkey/tabbing or manually clicking on the target. If you have no target and you press the hotkey/tab, target whatever closest to the cursor.

Am I missing something?

Hornpipe and Chrystoph Reis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.