“Totally not an !” or Quest Markers must go

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Leinad Laurelwreath, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oldsql gamer who dont need it, but noproblem with the option.

Good decision!
    Although i wont use it

2. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

It has always been said before that they cannot do different server instances for quest states in PC housing towns. But maybe they could do it with client instances? Basically fade to single player when interacting with NPCs - it is what ESO does when you enter conversations so they can fade away the other immersion breaking PCs also getting the heroes quest. If it means someone can hack their way thru quest trees does that really matter?

3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I checked it out. Not really obnoxious or neon calling; so with the option, not a problem for me. Then again I am stubborn and if they turned the NPC's upside down I would find a way to play regardless .:D

4. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Not really a problem with me one way or the other.

5. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

No problem here with the change. The ability to toggle it on and off should please the hardcore questers.

cartodude and Leelu like this.
  6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

No problem here with the change, given ability to toggle it.

cartodude and Leelu like this.
  7. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Yes, agree, this would be awesome! Would remove the continually spawning quest items that reappear in front of your eyes as your grab them.

8. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Four years in and we still have the same communication problems as we did in the beginning.

I do find it humorously ironic that so many people who are strong supporters of this "quest easy mode" for helping new players are the same who argue adamantly against other features that would make the game easier. I guess once the devs implement other easy mode features their tone will change. Lol.

licemeat, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Wouldn't this be possible in an even "grander" way?
    So that NPCs can appear and disappear clientside and this would only be visible to me? Then Charlotte could appear if I rescued her and only I see her because she is just shown on my client.
    This could solve a lot of problems regarding the choices and consequences. We could really bring the murderer in Ardoris to justice or the farmer in Soltown could return to his farm and appear there for me. This would lead to really satisfying outcomes and many interesting situations in regards to quests.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I think it is good that we will get more aid to make the questing fun for more than hardcore old school questers.
    The devs have seen the problem and are working on it - nice :)
    (When I started with the questing many releases ago now, I was able to be questwise lost already in Soltown, depending on what I talked to Stanley about)

Leelu likes this.
  11. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

If they are giving you the option to turn it on or off, what is the big deal? Things change,views change,times change,learn to go with it. This isn't breaking the game and if it is optional, this won't affect you or your game play one bit. Let those who might be inclined to use it have it. :)

Leelu, Sean Silverfoot and cartodude like this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

You woudl most likely saw people speaking to invisible NPCs... though replacing murderer by newly recruited guard to take his position... Or Charlotte by more generic kid for those who had not rescued her...

Anyway with client side specific changes the possibilities are really immense.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Actually I would rather see other players talking to invisible NPCs than having no consequences to my actions at all.
    Let's face it. How many players are actually interacting with each other when they meet? Most are ignoring each other and go about their business. So it wouldn't really catch one's eye if some players stood somewhere gesticualting to no one.

As for NPCs being substituted: I don't know. It would be a cheap way to solve this. Also, would they look the same like the other NPC who vanished? Where would they live? Where were they before? This would bring up more questions than it would solve.

14. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It's been something we've been wanting to get working for a while, yes.

15. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

I'll repeat myself, this sentence in any release notes, post, standup corner or quarter schedule would have saved BIG pain to these forums and the community :cool:

Anyway, get that thing working and bring us happiness!

[​IMG]

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This sounds great and would really give the players the feeling of being able to achieve something.

17. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Thank you for your clarification Lum, these are great news :)

18. Selene

Selene Avatar

Yes.. more flesh people please... don't be scared. [​IMG]

19. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Wanting and having are two different things. Obviously the story could be better if this existed. But where is this on the quarterly roadmap, or the episode roadmap? Is it even possible in the MMO engine you have, consider ESO's MMO engine was specifically written to handle instance phasing? The last mention of this was that scenes with player housing would cause database corruption if duplicated across different rather than same instances, what is being done to solve it.

My solution is to revert to client single player instance fading out MMO players and housing when you decide to interact with NPCs. Obviously those who invested in Soltown housing hoping to capture the noob quester market would be very upset, just as my noob is upset to see the snowmen in a town in peril. But as has been said a fair compromise leaves everyone upset. So if that meant my client NPC instance made a copy of the server instance, leaving me with snowmen but no other PCs to get a better NPC story that is OK.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  20. Curt

Curt Avatar

Could have a journal page for each town that's updated and give hints that will help you find the task.
    Bit like 'local gossip news'

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.