Are People Here Really Ok With This Sort of Thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ice Queen, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I came back to check out the newest update to see what's new and what has been added to the add on store that I may like to buy. I see these horse statues and think I've seen those before somewhere, I look in unity assets and they are there and FREE. So why are these being sold to us in the add-on store for $20 and $50 Each, when there was no cost to them whatsoever? There are so many more examples of this happening in the past few years and I haven't really said anything about it, but never felt it was right. I'm not trying to say they shouldn't be trying to make money from the add-on store, I know this is a buy-to-play game, but yeesh. :( Of course I won't buy things like this knowing this, but I have to ask, "Are most people here ok with this?"

I do like the things we are able to create in game though this patch and will go that route and appreciate the devs giving us more in game items to create.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/52025
    [​IMG]

2. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

HAHAHAHA

Katu, Jaws2, Mortanius and 6 others like this.
  4. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

The idea is that you get to have it here on Shroud of the Avatar.

6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

damn. it doesn't even look like they modified it.

no matter what the intentions were, this looks incredibly greedy. :(

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

and for only the price of a full retail game!

its a steal.

8. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yeah...this has always been going on. I could make the case of selling it for access to the item in this video game, but the price is way too high.

EDIT: After some consideration, I'm really not in a place to know the dollar value of the work this took, so...the price isn't too high. It's exactly this kind of knee-jerk reaction that the developers and fans of the game rightly want to avoid.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm fine with it. I hope they get some sales and that pays for a few more hours of programming work.

10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

And then when it's no longer available? You sell it for twice the price and buy two full games.

The fact that it's on Shroud of the Avatar, a populated game, is what gives it value.

11. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

Reasons to buy something:
    - you will get enjoyment out of it
    - you will support the game's development

As long as the licensing on the model permits unconditional commercial use, or they are satisfying its royalty requirements, there's no reason to be upset at all in my opinion.

They didn't invent the unity engine, or the steam updater, but they are profiting off of those too?

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The alternative may very well be that we don't get as many assets for use in our game, so I'm fine with it.

The pricing, imo, serves as both additional funding but also it represents a pay wall to aesthetic items that lose their overall value the more people that have them. For example, a $700 Air Ship.

Of course the ideal would be that everything was free or cost very little, everyone had access to everything, and the game was funded by an unlimited amount of money. But alas we are not living in an ideal world.

13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

It's probably not completely free... if you follow the horse to Turbosquid their license is such that Portalarium isn't allowed to sell it without having first purchased the Virtual World platform.

https://blog.turbosquid.com/using-turbosquid-products/#Creations-of-Computer-Games

Bom, Daxxe Diggler, nonaware and 7 others like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm surprised the author is giving it away for free on the Asset store. She/he is probably trying to build an audience. It's a good piece of work, and actually thanks to this thread it just got some exposure, ironically.

But value doesn't equate to purchase price once it has made its transition to SotA. It's strange, but what is it worth? If Port puts it up for $5 then it's all over the place and has a low value. Even then they'll get hammered for offering something for cash that they paid nothing for (other than Dev time to import it, implement it, and put it on the website.)

If they put it up for $50 then it's worth $50. Same with the giant trees. They could be worth 99 cents. Or they could be worth $50.

There is no raw material going into it, so its up to them. As usual, I continue to hope that they sell enough to keep the game going.

15. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I completely understand that without complete information this could be frustrating.

Assets like these are often only free if you do not resell them like we are. Even if it was free it doesn't just magically appear in the game without any effort. It takes actual development time to get it working in the game properly. Many hours in fact. Sometimes the textures have to be adjusted. Often we have to make levels of detail versions. We have to make simple colliders. We have to set all the proper decoration and permission flags. We then have to spend time adding it to offers and the add on store. That costs money. It is not free.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

17. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

This isn't a new occurrance... they utilize Unity assets wherever possible because it's smart.

It saves them a lot of time. Saves them a lot of $. Raises some $ for development of a game I have fun playing. Speeds up development time so they can focus on developing other things. Adds variety to the world. Etc. Etc.

No reason to be upset at something that benefits everyone and hurts none.

18. Selene

Selene Avatar

I have no problem with this whatsoever. An asset in the unity store means nothing to me. Something I can place on my lot or in a town in the game I play? Worth much more.

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'm not upset, I had noticed this and thought I'd see if others were ok with this. It just seems very overpriced for what it is and the amount that it was bought for. *edit* Darkstarr has replied and left an explanation so I will take that reply and say thanks for clarifying the reasoning.

20. Aribeth

Aribeth Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.