1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smurfwizard

Smurfwizard Avatar

Every liquor starts with something being fermented.
    Wine grapes, Vodka potatoes, Whiskey rhy, wheat, or barley or combination.
    If you want higher alcohol % then they are distilled.
    Like to make brandy, they take the wine and distill it

Tibs and majoria70 like this.
  2. angegardien

angegardien Avatar

reading everything despite my poor English, everything is easier.thanks,portalarium.

Sean Silverfoot and enderandrew like this.
  3. Gryphon2

Gryphon2 Avatar

The depth of this still amazes me and I am so very much looking forward to diving into SoTA next month

4. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Great! Don't hesitate to ask any question if you need help :)

Welcome to New Britannia Gryphon!

Boris Mondragon and majoria70 like this.
  5. jerger

jerger Avatar

Please build bard school :)

Royou, Arc, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Also Druids and Samurais

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  7. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I am a Druid, ask me anything

Arc likes this.
  8. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Okay, Polymorphs, When?

9. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Soon!

Arc likes this.
  10. lucasjung

lucasjung Avatar

This is a classless game, so there will never be a samurai or druid class. Instead, you have to pick appropriate skills to focus on. You can be a samurai right now: get some Ardoris-style armor and weapons, and then train your character in appropriate skills (blades for katana, polearms for naginata or yari, and/or ranged for yumi).

Being a druid is probably a little tough right now, but will get better as the taming tree gets filled out. Some of the magic you associate with druids may never make it into this game, but even now you could cobble together a collection of spells that matches the flavor of a druid reasonably well.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  11. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

yeah, yeah, we all know that, and yet we asked for bards every single time and TA DA, bards are coming. I could be a Hobo or a Paladin in this game too. Doest matter, i would want a begging and chivalry skilltree, like i want a druid and samurai skill tree

Stundorn and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  12. lucasjung

lucasjung Avatar

There is no rogue skill tree, but anybody can play a rogue by combining the right skill. There is no mage skill tree, but anybody can play a mage by combining the right skills. Same for fighters and paladins. Once the taming tree is filled out, the same will be true for rangers. Bards, on the other hand, were missing a key element: performances which impact gameplay at more than a purely aesthetic level. Bards were one of the eight classic Ultima classes, so it was important to make them fully playable. The new tree will really be a performance tree rather than a bard tree, but it will enable players to play bards by filling in the missing piece.

There is nothing missing from samurai; as I said in my last post, you could play one right now. It doesn't make any sense to add a samurai skill tree to fill a gap which doesn't exist.

Druids were also one of the eight classic Ultima classes. However, those druids couldn't polymorph. IIRC, druids in Ultima didn't have polymorph until UO. There are plenty of other games and fictional settings where druids can't polymorph. That being said, if people really want polymorph, then it would probably make the most sense to add it to one of the existing magic skill trees as a single skill, or at most a branch of skills. There's just not enough there to warrant an entire skill tree, and adding a new magic skill tree would break the elegant symmetry of the current magic skill trees. If you really want polymorph, then I would recommend that you start a petition to have it added to one of the existing magic skill trees, as that course of action probably gives you a better chance of getting polymorph than asking for a whole new tree.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Perhaps it will happen one day. I was really encouraged when someone in our party found a flute that gave a buff when played and I cannot remember the name of it, perhaps something like fleet flute lol. I know we did try to say it 10 times ;)

Luca Xante and Arc like this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

lucasjung likes this.
  15. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

And yet, you said the very same thing in two posts. We know that. All of that. Before the samurai expansion in UO could play samurai, but hey, they did add a Samurai Spellbook. That was really awesome.
    They way you think, we can play anything already, port could just stop making new skilltrees and spells. I could play anything, i just need to use the power of imagination, right? Well, Uo had a lot of skilltrees/skillbooks, again, A LOT, and i dream with the day we will have this within sota.

16. lucasjung

lucasjung Avatar

I've already said that there are skill trees which still need to be filled out, which is the opposite of "we can play anything already, port could just stop making new skilltrees and spells." However, there are a lot of things this game really needs, and I'd much rather see Port focus their limited resources on major features rather than becoming distracted by fringe features like samurai-specific skills.

Even more importantly, good design is simple and elegant. "a lot of skilltrees/skillbooks, again, A LOT" would be the opposite of that, so I hope that we never see the day when SOTA reaches that state. Right now, SOTA has a well structured array of skill trees built with consistent reasoning. There is certainly room for many more skills within those trees, and probably room for a small number of additional trees. It's not perfect, but adding a bunch of new trees that break down along a different axis than the current system would make it worse, not better. Any new skill trees need to be consistent with the same logic by which current trees are defined. A performance tree fits. A druid or samurai tree would not.

It's pretty clear that you feel that you cannot currently play a samurai in a way you would find satisfying, but asking for "a samurai tree" is not likely to get you what you want. Instead, I would recommend the following process to anyone who wants to play a character type which is not supported by the current set of skills:
    1. Make a list of the abilities which are missing from your desired character type. As you do this, consider the existing skills carefully to make sure that there really isn't already a game mechanic that is functionally indistinguishable from what you want.
    2. For each ability on your list, come up with a skill to represent that ability, and figure out which of the existing skill trees it would best fit under, and where it should go in that tree.
    3. If there are any abilities which absolutely don't fit under any of the existing trees, come up with one or more non-class specific trees to put them in, taking care that your new skill tree(s) are broad enough accommodate a good number of skills, but don't overlap with any existing trees.
    4. Post your wishlist of new skills and/or tree(s) to the feature requests section of the forum, and try to drum up support for them.

Lord-Galiwyn and Numa like this.
  17. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This post's information is quite out of date now. Going to lock the thread to keep from it being referenced by new players. If someone has a question or consideration on the topic, please create a new thread or reply to a more recent one. You can copy any relevant information from this one if you need too.

Royou and nonaware like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.