An odd request. Bring back character wipes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mimner, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Yes, I admit I'm a very strange bird in that I actually enjoyed the server wipe. Something about being new and wimpy again and having to build from scratch is just so appealing to me. However, I'm not suggesting here that we bring back server wipes.

Instead, I'm thinking about all this great work being done on the three major story paths of truth, love, and courage. I've been intentionally avoiding everything to do with these because I want to experience the story from scratch in its fully polished glory. I haven't even read Blade of the Avatar yet even though its been tugging at me for years!

I'm currently level 80 and that's just going to get higher by the time we finally launch. What I'm worried about is this: am I just going to slaughter everything through the entire story with no feeling of challenge during the process? If so, I'd like to humbly request a feature here. Allow us to individually wipe our character's back to level 1 and 0 exp. In addition, give us a buff that allows us to earn exp at a rapid rate (maybe bring back the x4 bonus) until we regain our former level. You could even get crafty and find a way to extend the buff a bit higher than where we deleveled to make the exp gained from the story rewards actually meaningful at our original levels. This could have a secondary benefit in that it would allow people a mechanism to completely rebuild their skills. It could be free one time, and you could pay increasing amounts of Coto's to do it successive times.

Anyway, this is just a crazy idea I had. I thought I'd bounce it off you guys to see if its as crazy as I think.

Leelu likes this.
  2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

When we get the other character slots you can start fresh, or get a cheap account and do the same.....and.....Feel free to delete yourself if you like :) I wont be deleting me though :)

Arc, jammaplaya, ManaPlow and 10 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

We don't need a wipe, we need caps or a decay system that is more aggressive on the highest tiers of our player base.

4. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

I just want the story to be thrilling even if I'm high level.

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I thought the cap was 200 or something like that... I don't get too caught up in these convos because I don't have any GMs presently - but isn't a level 100 skill representative of half way there?

6. Drocis the Devious

Leelu likes this.
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

First of all we need a rebalance of all magic schools and melee. Damage types needs to matter like it was initially planned. THEN we can implement caps and so on.
    Right now each month this is a different game...

I am sure with the release we will see Skill Boosts available in the online shop. For faster skillgain etc.

zyxe, Kaisa, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Screw decay we need hard caps.

Decay becomes punishing if your a casual player. Lets say I want to play for 1 hour a day and yes im at a high level when a death leeches 150,000 xp every 12 hours you will find your 1 hour a day a grind just to maintain your decay costs.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Done - delete your char and start over

Aord, neveser and Barugon like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you saying that you are a casual player and that a death costs you 150k xp's ?

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I believe xp wise 190 is half way to 200 the way it scales. I expect any one with 150 skill in anything would be ledgendary ;).

@Duke Avery example the healthy skill 1 to 150 takes 711,637,000 xp . ranged combat 1-100 is only 1.2 million so ud have to level gm ranged about 700 times just to reach the same xp burn.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Hornpipe and Duke Avery like this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

What im saying is if I decide to play casually now. This would be my situation.

People situations change I might have played hc for a few months but what if i want to play casual for the next x amount of months/years?

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Eventually yes, but not now. This does not advantage me at all as it does with the guys with all the GM's. Chris pretty much made it clear that they follow around those guys who shift their GM's around every patch and nurf all the new uber stuff that they find. Since we are still in dev, it would be unfair to continually nurf these guys and not allow them to quickly shift to something that works again.

After release when their are a lot less major changes... sure... absolutly!

14. Drocis the Devious

There are ways to make decay much more forgiving for casual players vs. power gamers. I support those ways.

Vidgrip, Stundorn and Hornpipe like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If u assume casual will always play casualy and a hc/power player will always play hc then yea.

I dont remember dingles xp loss on death but I want to say near 400,000 xp per 12hr death, going casual would hurt for a very long time. As long as he never changes play styles or never dies then its less of a deal for sure.

I personally hate seeing a xp loss and would rather have caps and multiple characters.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    neveser, Budner and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

400k xp every 12 hours is not a big deal to dingle. But let's assume for a moment that he just decides to chill out and go super casual....then he dies all the time and he loses skills and spells. That's the whole point of a decay system. Eventually as he loses those skills and spells he would no longer lose 400k. He would lose 300 then 200 and then 100 and then 50k....

That's how it works right now. But the problem is that dingle doesn't care about 400k loss, it doesn't effect him, he just keeps going up and up. I'm no where near where he is but I just keep going up too. Everyone does, and that's not a good thing. Casual players will never have any of these problems, it's the powergamers that need super decay and they need it now.

Nothing against dingle, but that guy's character needs to start losing about 5 million XP every time he dies.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Hehe, I feel my character is an investment of my time. Though I agree for punishment for poor play and dont mind some exp loss on death for sure. How much time should a death cost an hour is alot though yea its possible to make a couple hundred . Id be a huge fan if someone asked me and I know they arnt for hard caps and affordible death cost upon every death.

Id like 5 chatacters who can do everything vrs 1 that can.

Anyways were off topic....

18. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I do not feel that we should have hard caps. We would just have a bunch of people maxed out. No fun. We should, however, have significantly more decay than we do now, at least at higher levels. No one should be able to maintain 40-50-60 GMs.

Beli, Hornpipe and EDDYCORP like this.
  19. eli

eli Avatar

Something tells me 0.04% will not be the release decay rate.

UO had a rate of 20% for murderers.

Hornpipe likes this.
  20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

You have no idea my entire guild will quit. Lets pray they dont find this post lmao!

Jonah Hayes and Lady Cind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.