An odd request. Bring back character wipes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mimner, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eli

eli Avatar

my preference would be for a cap on the number of skills you can have, released with the ability for existing god-level players to transfer skills to an alt (it would be worth giving that handful of players who qualify and didn't buy a 2nd char slot a free char imo).

2. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

@eli Well, 20% might be a bit draconian but an increase would certainly be in order, in my opinion.

Hornpipe and eli like this.
  3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

If they're going to do it, they should do it soon. It should have been done months ago - the decay rate won't just affect player skill progression, it will affect the economy.

nonaware likes this.
  4. eli

eli Avatar

yeah i highly doubt it will even get into whole digit percentages, but was trying to highlight how far you can go and people will still play it. It's an apples and oranges comparison because you could recover from that 20% in a couple weeks in UO, and you could obviously avoid it by just not PKing blues or saying ooOoOOoo for a few days.

It's definitely logical here in sota for them to start small and ramp it up, as opposed to the converse, which is what i suspect is their motivation for the very low rate. At the current rate, if you died every 4 hours it would take 96 days to reach 20% stat loss.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And the only way I can see to do it to not give player outrage, well to some who have spent cash in game and out, is for them to compensate or make items purchases bind-able to accounts. Then no one loses what they purchased and yet this could be a huge undertaking as I have no idea of the magnitude to do something like this. :)

edited to make more sense ;) I hope

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Precisely!

Weins201 likes this.
  7. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

What if instead of character wiping, we had an awesome interactive, enjoyable, intelligent quest system that was understandable and drew us into a bigger narrative? I'd love to see -that-.

I think that would hold your attention for a good long while, OP.

8. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Clearly too many people would throw a fit if there was a full server wipe. It does make a hell of a lot of sense, however, as the game went persistent far too early.

A limited server wipe, retaining some things -- like housing lots, etc -- might even be the most sensible common ground but, again, I think too many people would chuck a wobbly.

So, unfortunately, it would seem unlikely that there'll be any sort of wipe. Even though it absolutely would be the best thing for the game, going forward. Without a doubt in my mind.

9. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

@Canterbury -- I guess my issue is that the top few elite most knowledgeable people... like the ones who abused control points to gain MILLIONS of XP... well, I'm sure they'd find some other way to do it.

And big guilds will still have the power they do to mass grind and mark up a lot of items as they are re-found.

I don't know. It's certainly plausible, but we were promised that they wouldn't do it again to characters. I'd be kinda ticked, I guess, because unlike some others who are, say, retired, I don't have a ton of time to play the game. The slow crawl of progression I've made would suck to lose, especially having experienced the constant wipes of pre-persistence.

I'm 50/50.

10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

And there you have it. Even as someone who doesn't identify with the people who abused the system, or perhaps even part of a guild exercising control over the economy, you're still only 50-50.

This is why it will never happen. You're 50-50... people with more at stake would be even less inclined... people at the top of the tree would throw a major fit. So it won't happen, even though it's needed.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Persistence is a double edged sword.
    On the one hand it is totally understandable that some players want to keep their achievements, everything they worked for in the game as well as "their" hero. But this also has negative side effects:
    1. Stagnation - At one point players will have achieved everything there is to achieve. Or don't have fun anymore in grinding or trying to get one more level.
    2. Having a population in the game consisting of grandmasters and high level players can be demotivating for new players. The best lots for housing are gone and it will take a long time to come close to those players who have invested a lot of time and money already. So why bother trying to compete with them?

Some games offer some kind of seasons like Conan Exiles for example. After a month or so the servers and characters are wiped. Then everything starts anew and players try to achieve as much as possible in this short time. Positive effect is that even new players can achieve something after a wipe and veteran players can try out new things. Those kind of games seem to become more and more popular these days.

12. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

They restart the servers most of the time because they lack players in their worlds. It is very difficult to get an active community with balanced powers in games like that.
    Usually one group dominates and drives all players out of the competition. Then they start it again.

What we want here is a more balanced approach. Like EvE Online... long living sandboxes where you always can start to play and enjoy the game. And even a fairly new player can compete with a veteran under given circumstances.

That being said we are still missing a lot of the sandbox here. And I agree having to pay 1000s of $ to obtain a good land or a city ingame is not very appealing to new players. I'd rather see option for guilds to obtain all that through in-game means. That's where I feel is the problem. However I think a skillcap is necessary for the sake of game and combat balance.

13. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Maybe this affects some people,but personally I will would not work toward anything if it is only going to be wiped in a month or so. To me that would be demotivating,you only work toward things that will be taken away.

14. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

You left out the most important factor of why they can't wipe.. RMT is supported. As a company I wouldn't care who I angered because I restarted and wiped my server if it was for the better of the game. Although since you involve real money transfers between port players and players your old saying of DLMB would come into full swing. If they wiped today I hope they have a good lawyer.. Im 300% for a wipe, not to sure how much, if any I will play after "release" just for the fact unlike some, I only played this for the multiplayer side. If I wanted a solid solo RPG I would have chosen a RPG to play. From day 1, until present I have my doubts you will have all 3 modes and they standalone be great. At most you will have 1 mode t hat is good, and the other 2 will be or feel neglected. You @Lord_Darkmoon know exactly what I'm saying here currently it is leaning towards the MMO crowd, how is your solo game coming along?
    Bottom line they can't wipe due to their support of RMT.

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I absolutely agree with you.
    As for how the solo game is coming along... let's not talk about this ;)

Sir Frank likes this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

17. mercster

mercster Avatar

I am only level 46 and am trying not to even get to level 50 before release. I feel for people who have played all the way to endgame already. I also haven't done any quests since persistence.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Having a wipe does not benefit me in any way. Even if I were all butt-hurt about people who may have abused the system and are way ahead of me (boo hoo), doing a wipe still wouldn't benefit me. In fact, it would only serve to turn the months of work that I've put into my avatar into wasted time.

19. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

It's a race and half of the racers started a year ago and everything's only been made more difficult since then.

I'd be in favor of caps on the maximum amount of skills you could have. Maxing everything just makes everything trivial.

20. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

a wipe of any kind will just add more hate to the game... :(

nonaware likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.