Free Trial Users Feedback Copy / as they can´t post it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It's really funny to see your response @Chris I think that if you got rid of the decks now I'd bribe @Berek to punch you in the junk. I've gotten used to them now. I still don't think they're a good way to do things but as I said 3 years ago "I don't have a better idea, hopefully someone will kick your butt for it someday." Well it's 2017 and I'm too tired to fight with you guys about decks. Get the story finished and make it so that we can fire @Amber Raine's spoon from a catapult at dragons or better yet @Amber Raine can fire some of us at a dragon while we wield the spoon!)
    I give you guys props for putting yourselves out there like that.

Ice Queen and Amber Raine like this.
  2. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

? i don't need any help lol, as i said i have zero problems.
    I just think the system is bad :)

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Creb Darkenie

Creb Darkenie Avatar

The elephant in the room is "why is there so much hatred in the comments?". "What provoked them?"

shanna likes this.
  4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I was around 60 last time I logged in and I only used it because I significantly more powerful when I used it. I'd be thrilled if combat didn't devolve into a dozen melee fighter chasing me in circles as I spam AoE, but as that's all the combat engine can handle, that's how I played.

5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

For a typical game sure, that be a death knell, but SotA is largely funded by repeated sales to a subset of users. Acquiring a few dozen customers that can be relied on to spend a grand a year is worth all the bad press this trial could generate.

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

... we've been giving them the same feedback for a long time already.

From what I got out of comments from friends and various contacts, most of the complaints have nothing to do with the glyphs. That part they can grasp.

The problem is that the game currently feels unsatisfactory. I am not kidding when I say that the introduction scene is rage-inducing. Most of the story and various quests (and there's currently very little amount) are about talking to one dude, to then talk to another... with no real scenario. The quests have you essentially reading about someone else's story within an interactive medium. Sure, I might be fighting through some dudes in order to progress through a quest, but they just feel like obstacles.

Do you know why people keep pointing to the combat system when they complain about the game? It's because, aside from the frustrating dialogue system, it's the only real noteworthy thing about the game from a game-play standpoint. People are willing to ignore the incomplete quests and dialogue if the fighting's good and that's barely getting a passing grade even if you were to use a locked glyphs.

Yes, the game is overly complicated (and that needs to be addressed) but that's seriously not what's holding you back.

Kaisa, Preachyr, Ice Queen and 5 others like this.
  7. mass

mass Avatar

I wouldn't confuse players choosing the most efficient way to play as equivalent to 'liking' something. In my opinion, the two first bad impressions you get from the game (which were present years ago) are the clunky combat and the small, claustrophobic starting instances. It's hard to not be put off by those low level instances with the 2d tree walls around them, no story reason to be there beyond a fetch quest, and no secrets to find. I think a lot of new players assume the whole game is like that, not knowing that there are a few really great scenes to explore. When continuing your uncloning of scenes, you should consider increasing their size where ever possible. Blood bay is a great scene that new players won't see, and many players will never see because they have to flag to see it. If you had one blood bay sized scene at each of the starting areas for new players that they were essentially shunted into, I think first impressions would improve a lot.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Sargon, Kaisa, K1000 and 3 others like this.
  8. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

But the trial doesn't generate a few dozen customers :D

Kaisa likes this.
  9. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Question on your play style. Are you a highly mobile gamer, or a stand in place gamer? I know a lot of the 'Farming Builds' include kiting enemies through AoE effects and staying out of reach of your opponents. I can totally understand how deck stacking might be sub-optimal for that playstyle.

I hate having to run around while engaging in combat. I have disabilities (physical hand deformities) that make that hard for me. So I stand my ground as much as able, giving me the Stillness buff and allowing me to focus on my deck stacking. And I LOVE it. I find it more engaging than just memorizing a rotation like in WoW, and more strategic than faster action games. Honestly it would probably work even better for me if I went heavy armor, but the image in my mind is definitely a clothie.

10. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Its a shame you did not do the free trial after the AMD was fixed, why tolerate half the population giving you a bad review because the game would not even work?

Unlocking the combat deck as well as unlocking the number of trainable skills only as you level up is a very good idea. It is what ESO does, you cannot use your backbar until lvl 15, and you can only train active skills that are on your hotbar, and you only earn skills at level up. The problem is this will not work if you do not show the level progression, if people do not know when you are going to give them the next carrot, they are not going to tolerate the stick.

The skill deck is a good idea for breaking up the spreadsheet rotation that other MMOs have, but that is the very reason people dislike it, because it is very different, and requires twitchy hand/eye coordination that some are not good at. If you allow people to take off the training wheels right away, that is simply human nature, so if you think only high levels can appreciate the power of the system, then only let them use it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  11. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I am tank/melee/earth/shield, sometimes 2h.
    I am very mobile, but i don't have to kite since i am an tank.
    Have zero problems, as i said.
    I use what the system gives me and can farm through mobs ultra fast by now.
    Stacking is very quick too as i am not an clicker.

But do i like the combat/deck system? no :p

12. Shanna

Shanna Avatar

I somewhat reluctantly admit that I participated in this type of flaming when it came to ESO (TESO, originally.) Most of we testers went in with very high hopes, which led to very far for them to drop. The disappointment/negative reviews there were different, though, in the sense that they were coming from the core, older, ES fan base. We had a lot of complaints regarding over-simplification. Oddly enough, the newer players seem to like it just fine.

I'm hypothesizing that the simplicity of ESO mechanics turned OG's off, and turned the younger generation on. Perhaps the opposite is occurring here with SotA?

*Oh yes, our second biggest complaint had to do with customer service/dev lack of addressing of issues. Devs literally ignored their beta testers. Who does that?? The poor CS continues to this day (I've given it a couple more tries, most recently on console.) Thus far, the CS/dev involvement here seems refreshingly satisfying!

13. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

It's almost as if people who don't like a core part of the game won't stick with it. Especially one that puts people who don't use it at a disadvantage. Funny that.

Kaisa, Preachyr, Ice Queen and 4 others like this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

You would rather pretend that the game is fine as it is?

15. Creb Darkenie

Creb Darkenie Avatar

I am simply saying that we should try to understand the hatred of the posters. I do not understand your question about pretending about the game in any way. How did you come up with this question from my post?

Koldar likes this.
  16. mass

mass Avatar

I think this may be true for some trial participants. But I don't think Port should back down on complexity, but rather show proof that learning that complexity will reward them with a deeper, more engaging experience than they can get anywhere else. I think it's still too early to prove that to a new a player. I think players subconciously come to the conclusion that it will be really hard to conquer the learning curve here, only to have a meaningless grind as their reward.

majoria70, shanna and Gaelis like this.
  17. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Sure, but the first initial expression, the first 5 - 15 minutes of playtime counts for tons of players. That's sadly how it is...

And let's face it, the tutorial, starting experience is quite suboptimal.
    I had no problems at all, but when i went through it, it was already clear to me that many will have issues here or there, expecially at the oracle...

Anyways, i am clearly not an trial player, i am here since the KS and i never felt the combat/deck system was good...

Kaisa and Ice Queen like this.
  18. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I do understand the hatred of the posters, but i am not an DEV for Port, so i can't do much s... other than posting my concerns over and over again on the forums here.

19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I think people say this because we have a tendency to downplay the feedback that folks give about glaring flaws in the game. Some us are like "FFS everyone with 2 braincells to rub together knows that no one would release it with no <insert feature here> missing at launch, duh!"
    Then some of us are like "OMG! This is the man who made Ultima! Of course it's going to be awesome! Show some respect, b******!"

Not all of us are happy little backers marching along like lemmings just because we're not grabbing torches and pitchforks and ready to join the revolution.

@Gix usually gives our devs some tough love and your post seemed to hint that the volatile posts were just picking on Portalaruim for no reason. I apologize for putting words in his mouth but some of us have our grownup pants on and can admit that we have a ****load of work to get done before we put this game up for sale with a straight face. Some of us are in denial.

Kaisa, Belgtor, GraveDncer and 3 others like this.
  20. Gix

Gix Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.