Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please add more abilities to non-combat bar during combat

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Graynight, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

I would like to see the following skills allowable in the non-combat utility bar (while in combat)

Air's embrace (Dex buff)
    Strength of Earth (Str buff)
    Enlightenment (Int buff)

2. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

would also like to see the camouflage and the silent movement there also.... and why can't we have the healing touch and purify there as well.

3. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I keep all three of those buffs in my non-combat bar, as well as my elemental summons and Sprint ability. Your suggestions would make my life easier. But distancing myself from my own benefit and looking to game balance, I have to disagree with you.

The idea of the non-combat bar in combat was to promote consumable use, as they are hard to access otherwise. Allowing an extra bar of active skills is counter to the Deck Building balance. The ability to use these in non-combat bar to prepare ahead of a battle is balanced by the need to wait out combat readiness cooldown. And refreshing it means dropping combat to focus on abilities not "fresh in your mind".

Combat actives should remain in combat bar. Combat preparedness can live in non-combat bar at a cost. If we're removing that cost, we may as well just have a second combat bar rather than showing the non-combat bar.

4. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Lifedragn is spot on.

This is not an "Extra" bar for all your additional glyphs per my understanding. Honestly I would rather see them just make a smaller bar off to the side just for consumables. Mainly because of the confusion and possible balance issues this is going create as people petition for more and more to be made available during combat on the "non-combat" bar... Defensive buffs are for combat.

5. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

be happy we got the light spel in it .
    thank you dev for that :)

6. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

:)

The way I figure it, if you don't ask, the Dev's won't know. I'll let those in charge decide if my request has merit.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and zyxe like this.
  7. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I like idea. More like the Diablo 2 Potion Belt. Heck... Can we get the diablo 2 potion belt style? A belt or bandolier(sp?) that holds X amount of consumables.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and zyxe like this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yeah, I made this same request in the dev+ forum for R39. These 3 buffs (and the shield spells) really don't work well with the deck system. There needs to be some sort of way to not eat up 4 spots on the combat bar for them if the deck system is going to be used.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  9. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

They are pretty powerful buffs, that kind of require being needed on the bar to give them a trade-off. Otherwise they kind of become Mandatory Skills. In which case, they should just roll into the passive buffs and be gotten rid of as abilities.

10. Dakit

Dakit Avatar

The solution here is to implement a consumables only bar (5 slots). While I'm glad they are trying to get us something as fast as possible, it leads to issues like this.

Good short term solution, but long term needs to go back to pre-39 and add a consumables bar... or leave as is and add the consumables only bar, either way consumables only bar needs to be added, in my opinion.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think they should add two more slots to the utility bar. Map them to "=" and "-".

12. uhop

uhop Avatar

I would like, when harvesting/lumberjacking/etc. the main bar was not disabled, but worked as in combat. Surely if I have time to turn on light, while in combat, I can do the same while mining. If anything, my concentration is lower than in combat.

13. liomorte

liomorte Avatar

See I see the limited bar as this. If you are ready for the battle then you buff up before entering combat mode. If you get surprised then those buffs would be harder to pull off, as it should. I like how it is currently because of this.

14. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

Well, here's the thing.

This bar on the bottom is non-combat. As such, I fill it with standard stuff for being out of combat. Dash, sprint, buffs, an occasional heal. But when I enter combat, all but one turn grey on me.

Honestly, I am not a fan of the new bar being below the combat bar. I find it too small to read (I'm using a 50 inch screen), and I'm not going to manually change out my bar just to go into combat, then change it back to hang out in town, or to travel from town to town.

I'm looking for the positive in this change, and asking for more things that are used out of combat to also be allowed in that bar within combat to make it more....useful. Failing that, I would prefer just having a second combat bar that we can fill with more combat buttons, or no extra bar at all.

My play style (which most likely differs from other people) is such that I don't summon anything and I don't use potions. That makes the lower bar obsolete in my case. Granted, I have an extra slot open on my combat bar as my 'light' spell is now down there (It's the only one that lights up), but that was quickly filled with my sparkly new "Shield of water" spell.

My other suggestion would be to allow the user to show it during combat, or hide it. Those that use it on a regular basis within combat would have the ability to do so, those of us who find it unusable would be able to hide the extra bar from our screen. (Very similar to SWTOR and their extra hotbars, with the ability to hide it in the UI)

15. Gix

Gix Avatar

The non-combat bar shouldn't exist in combat in the first place.

If they want to make the non-combat bar as an extra combat bar for consumables (potions), they'll need to remove the consumables from the actual combat bar. Until then, not only is it ugly but it's redundant and confuses people into thinking that they should be allowed to put combat abilities in there.

The whole principle of the combat system (either locked of shuffling) is to not bring the kitchen sink with you.

To many options can dilute the design.

Think about it this way: There's currently a way to hide the numbers for Health and Focus for both you and any other character on screen. You might think it's a cool option to have but everything about the game is designed in such a way where you NEED to see those numbers. Anyone who doesn't is at a significant disadvantage.

... just like the one who hides nameplates has no way of identifying PvP players apart from the rest. Which would mean that showing nameplates is a necessity for PvP despite the fact that it contradicts the purpose of the game itself.

People will purposely ditch the role-playing aspects of any game if it means that they can get an advantage. So what's the point of having the option in the first place? The more "options" they give players, the more likely there's going to be the "better" way to play.

... just like we already have ton of discussions about the current XP/combat system.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Fister Magee likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How about being able to use Mind Wipe and Mind Lock from the utility bar? They could be grayed out in non-combat mode.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well it is first iteration of the 2nd bar. I for one like that we have it for now. I can see our combat and non combat bar going through more iterations. I don't think it is the most attractive right now. I am used to playing games with action and combat bars. I don't mind having a lot of things on the bars. Like some of these examples, but I do think it needs to polished to look better and with the games that have more hot bar options, things are grayed out when you can't use them of course.

To me there is nothing wrong with clicking a buff to take you into combat mode. ;) And it could be a different opinion for those who have mostly played on consoles verses those who have always played on pc's as I have. As with most things there will be many opinions ;). For me when I played UO I had my skills all over my screen, but customizable bars are always a good thing so you can put things where you want them. Perhaps if you can also hide the bar or have it show up when you want it. Any options will provide users their own way to play the bar. ;) Sorry if I repeated any games ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I just want Charm Animal non combat.

Huh @majoria70 has a screen from The Repopulation Tutorial ;)

majoria70 likes this.
  19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Mentioning this thread to the team!

Mishikal and Graynight like this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Although I understand why players would want this...I hope it does not happen for balance reasons.

Currently, if you want to use all three of those buffs in combat, you have to put them in your deck. This reduces the deck's offensive power, and makes players make decisions about how important those spells are.

By allowing those spells to be activated in combat from the non-combat tool bar, you're effectively making all players (especially in PVP) max out those spells and thus removing the choice to have them in the first place.

I can't stress enough how bad of an idea I think that would be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.