Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please add more abilities to non-combat bar during combat

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Graynight, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Actually I would like the non combat bar to work with everything as an extra locked glyph in combat.

Also, bit unrelated, but I would love ability to consume potions and food directly from inventory when in combat instead of dragging it into non combat bar first. I can use those in combat so why not directly?

Grumpy, Peabo and Engel like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Its just one that can be activated from the hotbar. You misunderstand, we can already do this. It takes us into combat immediately, at least one I know of can do this atm since they fixed the problem ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

No, I think perhaps you misunderstood.

Please read what the OP said again:
    This means that you could activate STR, DEX, and INT buffs WHILE IN COMBAT from the non-combat bar. Currently that is not allowed and for good reason, because it unbalances the game.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I was at first wanting this since we could all get ready for battle sharing our buffs with each other, but I understand in Sota it is part of the strategy to have them in rotation. It takes a little while to get a handle on that at first since it is so different from other games. ;). At least we can all make sure we eat our food, and get our blessings ;) lol that sounds funny ;)

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  5. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

Would you mind providing more of an explanation so I can understand your point of view?

6. Drocis the Devious

Currently there are three main supported/designed archetypes, Melee, Archer, and Mage. The STR buff primarily supports Melee, the DEX Archer, and INT Mage. It's a classless system though, so there can be all sorts of hybrids, including those that use all three buffs.

By allowing these buffs to be used while in combat from the non-combat bar, this favors hybrids at the expense of the other archetypes. I happen to use the Mage archetype, and I'm not a hybrid. This means that I only need INT buffs and do not use the other ones. Which means I don't get the benefit of having those buffs, but it also means I don't get the disadavantage of using those buffs either, namely that it requires more XP and more slots in my combat deck to use effectively.

What you're proposing is that hybrids get all the advantages of being a hybrid without having the main disadvantages, and that creates imbalance as well as funneling players to be required to be hybrids so they can compete in PVE and PVP.

7. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

Ahhhh... that actually makes sense.

See, I'm pure ranged (bow). With the exception of healing spells, light, and my newly acquired Shield of Water (yes, I'm very proud of this), I don't use magic, I don't use light armor skills. Honestly, my way of playing is to hit my buffs, pull out the bow, and start making pincushions. But with that, I hit all three buffs. I don't really differentiate between the types, because "hey, stat buff". Strength gives me more HP, Int gives me more focus, and Dex lets me hit the guy in the left nostril instead of a random face shot.

But your explanation actually puts it into a new light. I don't really think in terms of balance for the game, pvp, or other players. I just think of "this is the way I like playing, I would like to have it."

Chatele, Tamsen, Lord Ravnos and 2 others like this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I would say for ranged, all 3 have significant benefit, although I prefer shield of crystal from the earth tree, as the earth attunement and additional HPs seem more worthwhile to me (but I've already got fire resistance up quite a bit in the fire tree). I also don't PvP. I'd be perfectly fine if those who are in PvP zones or have the PvP flag had different rules on what they can & can't do. :p Part of the adventure of being a PVPer.

Chatele likes this.
  9. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

How is something that everyone can do unbalanced? Now it may force you to take a skill that 'you' don't think you need, or force you to vary your very narrow ideal character role, but as long as everyone has access to it, I don't see it as 'unbalanced'.

uhop and Tamsen like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

There are three supported and designed archetypes in this game. You may be more familiar with them as the path of Love (Ranged/Archer), Truth (Spells/Mage), and Courage (Melee/Warrior). If we suppose that these paths don't mean anything, then sure we can all take the exact same path of INT, DEX, STR maximum and that will result in a "balanced" cookie cutter character for all players in the game. But if we seek any type of diversity between player characters, we have to balance those choices so that someone that is using STR but not using DEX and INT can still compete and have fun within the game. In that sense what the OP was describing is not balanced because the idea removes the major disadvantage of maxing out on all three paths.

In a fantasy roleplaying game, it shouldn't be too much to ask for a skill system that supports very basic fantasy archetypes without allowing people to ignore those choices and just max out everything without penalty or restriction. Otherwise we're not really playing a fantasy roleplaying game and the lore means nothing, the skills we choose mean nothing. There's no defining characteristic of what one Avatar can do verses another. Skills are simply a measurement of how long you've played the game, not who your character is.

Chatele and Leinad Laurelwreath like this.
  11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

As someone who plays entirely with ranged skills, I can say that's it is essentially mandatory already to increase STR/INT/DEX. So your point is lost on me. On an alternate account, playing as a warrior, I find STR/DEX and somewhat INT, mandatory as well. So again, your point is lost on me. I haven't played a mage, so can't comment on what's necessary there.

uhop and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I play Ranged exclusively, and haven't gotten several of the passives, nor buff spells that are non-dex related, by choice. But maybe once you hit the mythical level 100, I might be "forced" to do this? (somehow I doubt it though) I can choose to rely on my party members if I need a few extra HP via Strength spell, or more focus via Int from a dedicated mage, presumably they'd be more specialized in the corresponding spell anyway and provide a greater buff :D

13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I mainly play solo, I have nothing to 100 yet. So I have to survive w/o relying on party members. ;)

Stundorn, Chatele and discipleofweb like this.
  14. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Then you're making that choice to utilize survival skills/abilities over pure dps abilities. Which is your choice to make! :D For the record my highest ability is Ranged, at 93 I think. So yea, nowhere near 100. haha, and yes I also mostly hunt solo as well...

15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yep, but given the game supports both an offline mode and a single player online mode, I think that the experience in those modes needs to be accounted for.

16. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

"Balance" probably isn't the best word for it. What he's saying is the more certain skills are required for everyone, the more generic and "samey" each character really is. The system ceases to be "classless" and becomes more "monoclassed." Frankly, I think they're going to have problems with that anyway (especially since they dropped raising one attunement negatively affecting the opposite), but I do hear what he's saying.

Stundorn likes this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I have to agree here. As much as I'd personally like the convenience, I think its a bad idea and Drocis points out the main reason why.

My noncombat bar has:
    1 Heal for Out of Combat topup
    1 Light Spell
    3 Movement buffs for running about (dash/sprintblink) or swap sprint for inner str if I'm wearing heavy.
    4 pre-combat buffs (str/dex/int/shieldofcrystal)
    1 slot left to use for consumables.

I like the utility of this non-combat bar, but, I would have liked consumables to be separate. Like a 3 slot belt or something. Hey, maybe we could even craft these belts? :p
    Already I have to rummage through bags for recall/tele scrolls, or constantly change out my 1 free slot to summon a pet or elemental. Its just fiddly. Having the non-combat bar "available" in combat I don't really utilise it, because I need all the noncombat stuff I currently have on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.