Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mobs shouldn't leash when I jump on a rock

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

When I jump onto something, like say a rock, the non-ranged mobs instantly run away. Of course I use this to my advantage but it's odd and jarring behavior. Those mobs should at least stay there and taunt me. Ultimately, I feel that if I'm able to jump on a rock then most of those mobs should be able to jump on that same rock.

2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

just 2 minutes ago I was standing on some rocks battling a bear and I was terrified that he would run away because i was "unreachable"
    the range that they follow you when you run is also to short but that might be for a different topic, maybe my whole post was :p

3. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Yeah, some mobs should be able to jump after you. Though I understand why some leash - to prevent exploitation. My rock jumping is usually to get High Ground advantage, so it is frustrating that the AI gets so tripped up by it.

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

If I were being attacked by some dude I couldn't reach, I wouldn't stay there for long. I believe the only thing that's jarring is the speed at which they leash back into their original position...

If they're able to climb it, you'd lose the reason why you're climbing it in the first place.

Tamsen likes this.
  5. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

What if instead of leashing instantly, they stuck around for "a while" but were "invulnerable (100% dodge)" until you jumped down, at which point they would attack you? Related, not sure why this is a thing, but I often jump when firing arrows, and more often than not, if I jump too high or stay airborn long enough, they leash! Mid-fight! :( so annoying.

Barugon likes this.
  6. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

In addition to @Lord Ravnos idea, how about when the mobs decide to leave, they first show some form of anger/disgust at the player, like spitting on the ground or waving their arm in a dismissive way (or the PG-13 version: give the middle finger) before they leash back.

And completely agree with @Gix, have them jog or walk back when they leash.

Tamsen likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yep, I agree.

Its actually something I do all the time just to get mobs off my back so I can heal... but I don't really think I should be able to do it. I mean, some mobs shouldn't be able to follow me places -- others should -- but I don't think de-aggroing is the best idea even in the first case...

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's really odd. If that's really happening, the game needs to check to see the last position you landed on before determining whenever to leash.

9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Agreed, it only happens when I'm running from melee mobs. And I figured because I was "in the air" the calculations determined that they were "unable to hit me" so they just leashed. I'm going to see if I can reproduce it more consistently before I consider it a bug and report.

GreyMouser Skye and Gix like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm going to try this as well.

11. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

1) make mobs that should jump be able to jump and path to you.
    2) terrain change all rocks and ledges to allow walking to each location.
    3) take away avatar jumping.

1) my favorite, but means a fundamental change to AI behavior. Maybe for Ep2 will be dev response.
    2) tons of effort with 'ugly' special case decisions and not enough added benefit other than being able to call a zone ADA compliant - for the population at large that means complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
    3) by far the most elegant solution but likely to cause the most uproar. I am included in not liking this elegant option.

Pick option 1 please! Humanoids can jump, arachnoids can scale, slimes are SOL and this is a valid way to survive them, liches and mages can blink there, dragons can fly there.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I understand if stuff like this isn't necessarily their highest priority but posting it might get them thinking and, eventually, something better might be implemented.

13. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Uproar indeed. I have a completely irrational hatred of games that do not allow jumping! I cannot explain why it bothers me so much. It just feels so unnatural to not be able to jump.

Tamsen likes this.
  14. Tamsen

Tamsen Avatar

That would, no joke, take away half of my reason for loving this game, and nearly all of the joy.

GreyMouser Skye and Net like this.
  15. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

ehhh... don't jump on rocks? :D

16. Net

Net Avatar

I hate how they leash and reegen and are avoiding all my attacks and fire dots when I jump on something...

Barugon likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Perhaps they shouldn't leash right away. If you're not attacking it, you're not a threat. The moment you attack while standing somewhere they can't reach, they can immediately leash. Better yet, they should call their friends over to wait for you to step down :)

Barugon likes this.
  18. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah the mob AI needs work. I see the Benny Hill run back too often.

Barugon likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I understand not being able to do damage to mobs when they can't path to me. It's the leashing part that's rediculous.

20. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Not entirely true. What if a player were to lure mobs to a rock and then just stand on it while a partner went around the area they started in looting / gathering resources. Like the bottom rooms of the Mines. Lure all the earth elementals and leap where they can't get you. And then just idle while someone else goes around collecting ore. Very easy exploit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.