What is the business model for when SotA is "released"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It won't be like Tabula Rasa unless some 3rd echelon party decided to buy the project and shut it down. It was NCSoft that decided to pull the plug, not RG.

2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

And if you paid more than $120, it says you will receive episodes 4 and 5 as well. That was the explorer pledge level. So yes there are people who have that expectation. But then again, those are people who took the early risks to help get us here :)

LoneStranger, Xandra7 and Sir Cabirus like this.
  3. Armar

Armar Avatar

Yes, but subscription only. No item based play depending on the online shop anymore.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Nomad2 like this.
  4. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

It is not true that ESO dropped subs in favor of cosmetic shop, they kept the sub model, adding crowns as a benefit that can be spent in the cosmetic shop. It was also supposed to give all DLC access, but then the devs decided to package several DLC into an expansion and claimed it was not included. The main benefit is the infinite shared crafting bag. Given the demand for cosmetics I don't see the shop going away.

But prepaid rent is essentially a sub, so SOTA already had the sub model. I paid for my benefactor pledge with a monthly draw so it indeed was no different than a sub to me. And anyone wanting a house now has to pay rent. Of course you could grind for it, but they make that painful intentionally so that you will buy crowns.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Roycestein Kaelstrom and Xandra7 like this.
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

NCSoft s-canned it because it was not viable. I just played the trial and do not know if it got any better. I think if this game ever becomes like UO and ends up having free shards it will live forever.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The only expansion, and thus the only additional content not covered by ESO Plus (which covers all DLC), is the forthcoming Morrowind expansion. It's absolutely massive, however, and justifies being a purchase.

I know some ESO Plus users were upset when Morrowind was announced because they had to buy it, but frankly I think even they will say, "Oh, I get it now..." when they see how large it actually is. It's insanely big.

Kaisa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Even many of us who came on post-KS, have all five chapters as part of what we've paid.

Honestly, this is the most I've ever payed for a game, and I still find an excuse to spend a small amount at each telethon. I'll probably keep doing so.

So, I DO expect that I'll get the first 5 chapters (if there is a chapter 6, I don't expect to get that). I do NOT expect any special consideration for a land-rush in Ch.2 or beyond. I expect to have to buy a deed (or move the one I have) if I want to get a house on the new content.

@Lars von Drachental: Thus far, Portalarium has been meeting my expectations for deliverables (even if it's a little be later than expected). I continue to give, more than 10x my initial pledge level at this point, to SotA because of that. As someone who is also a veteran backer of Star Citizen, CIG has made deviations (to put it nicely) from the statements that made me want to pledge to them (apart from just being late). Because of this, they have little more than a low-end starter pledge from me. I know a number of people who have gotten refunds over it. Be careful what you bring over from their way of doing business.

8. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

To me the value is in the crafting bag as half a buck a day to not make multiple bank trips between several alts is worth it, and since it is clear to me SOTA ep1 is not going to be done this year I returned to an ESO sub.

Bethesda knows ESO+ are just foaming at the mouth, as few are principled enough to NOT buy Morrowind and miss out, and that is what they are really mad about that the devs are doing it because they know it will work. In fact I paid for the DLC just to have it for when I am not subbing even though they include it, and I want to encourage more DLC (and expansions).

So I think there is merit in subs, but if rent is monthly or prepaid, then technically that IS the sub. That was RG pitch for the housing being expensive, and why I bought in. But my limit is investment beyond a reasonable sub fee, and I suspect others are like me which leaves open the question of how ep2-5 will get funded. To get more money out of me I need to receive five years of gameplay rather than the few weeks of disillusionment I got.

9. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I played EQ2 for 9 years so when the Kickstarter hit and I figured it would make a good replacement that I would play for at least as long so I totaled what I spent on that game for that amount of time plus the collectors edition of 5 expansions and gave that money to Portalarium. I expect at least 10 years of entertainment. I will knock it down to 8 before I start complaining because I really enjoy discussing things with you guys.
    The experience of hanging out with the team members that went to SotaCon East plus the avatars that could come out was very unique. It topped talking with Moorguard and Blackguard in SOE's booth at E3 forever ago.

10. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Of course everyone's value position is different. I think my point is that those who call for subs, are ignoring that (pre)paying rent for optional housing is that sub. So I think what they are really saying is subs instead of cash shop. That is the way Wurm Online works, you pay for the deed, but decorating is done solely by in-game crafters. Technically Portalarium kept their promise to not have microtransactions, since it is really a macrotransaction store...

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Xandra7 like this.
  11. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yeah, but what about people who don't have housing in SotA? The way it was costed out, and the way it was handled, was enough to turn me off it completely, for example. I'm sure I'm not the Lone Ranger.

And if you have a situation where people are dropping out of the game, there goes (potential) rent, while people who might still be into it, but not paying rent, are left behind. That's why it'd be a useful option.

12. eli

eli Avatar

failure often teaches you more than success.

13. 3devious

3devious Avatar

There are folks who just let anyone move into their towns and there are those of us who pay folks' lot rent as well. Unfortunately that forces people who want free stuff to get involved in the community. Tax free lots are just given to people sometimes. It's easy to get a place. It might not be where you want it or as big as you want it, but you can get a place for less than most people pay in a subscription. If you really expect to have your own place and not pay anything further for it than the cost of the game you're going to have to get involved with the community. If you don't want to do that, I really can't help you.

I know it's a high price for a game that is not even out yet but if you wait until launch you might have more options. I'm too lazy to be a landlord and hopefully no one who wants to live in our cities feels left behind but avatars can live on my lot as they wish as long as they don't PK people who don't want to fight in my house.

14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I think you might have misinterpreted my comment somewhat and that's entirely my fault for giving too much information. Basically, how to get a house cheaper or easier isn't the issue that needs fixing. I raised my personal example to highlight why house rent perhaps shouldn't be the only game in own when it comes to revenue raising. Why? Because, again, some people might not have houses, but be quite happily playing the game. WHY they don't own that house isn't really relevant to the point I was making as they might not own a house for 101 different reasons, which are rabbit holes we don't need to go down. The point was simply that there'll be people who aren't touched by house rent, who could be better touched by something else.

15. Womby

Womby Avatar

I doubt that there is a single topic that has been given more thought at Portalarium than funding.

A mandatory subscription will not work. (See just about every MMO except WOW.) ESO had a mandatory subscription, and was forced to change it to an optional subscription.

It would seem that the game is being set up to derive most of its income long term (after initial game sales) from the sale of COTOs. These are currently used for tax, repairs and in-game purchases. More uses may follow. The in-game drop rate of COTOs is so negligible as to be safely ignored, and seems to be there only so it can be said that it exists. People who are $ rich and time poor will take shortcuts by buying COTOs from Portalarium to pay tax and/or sell in game for gold, allowing them to buy materials that others have to grind for. This is good because it funds the game, and provides an income for grinders.

The devs have discussed the possibility of a voluntary subscription (most likely providing a few COTOs and decorative stuff in return), so that is a future possibility.

It is unlikely that the add-on store will be abandoned in favor of in-game sales for COTOs. Probably both will continue to exist in parallel.

16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I wouldn't worry too much about this. They will figure something out like how they did with the bundle.

For all we know, they could be charging people $0.25 per post on the forum as a main revenue aiming for players who don't login to the game and would rather trolling on the forum for entertainment. Anyway, my point is that anything is possible.

Sean Silverfoot and idaniod like this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

In that case, I believe you owe Portalarium $1,031. :)

(And I owe a great deal as well!)

18. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

An optional sub is what I was talking about in the OP, Womby. I don't know why people always end up talking mandatory subs. Like I said there, one that gives genuinely useful, but not game breaking, benefits is a no-brainer.

19. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Sure and that’s why I’m just talking about their subscription model. ;)
    I think just if a subscription is helping to e.g. lvl faster this would feel not right for a game you already had paid for and at least for me it looks like such a StarCitizen-like-subscription could be an option. E.g. not everyone has the possibility or is willing to invest $450 into a bundle but still would like to have access to dev+ and a subscription could be a possibility for them. But paying e.g. $10 a month just for some more (or just earlier) information is a little bit expensive…but giving some not game relevant goodies could make it still an attractive option. Maybe subscribers could even automatically participate in telethons..that they do not have to search a way to participate while they are on vacation in the middle of nowhere. :D

20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

A subscription model that is working towards a pledge level might be an option worth looking into I assume...

Also a monthly package for 5 bucks as someone suggested with a random items, emotes etc might also be sth people might be willing to spend from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.