Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Change Smelting batch count to max. 100 please...

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by GrayFog, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

so we can do something useful like going to pee or taking a smoke break while we wait for the smelting process to finish.

20 is way too short to finish theese kind of tasks before the smelting process finishes :p

2. Net

Net Avatar

Actually I would hope that all the processing skills were much faster... about as fast as salvaging at higher levels.

3. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

I could see this getting tied into production skills. Faster smelting, additional smelting queues, critical smelting where two get smelted instead of one, e.t.c.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

currently, exceptional refining is a quick way to get several thousand crafting experience very quickly and helps you keep a higher XP pool for longer while refining, but that is ONLY accomplished by refining 1 item at a time. Remembering back, thier intent was to prevent afk-crafting, and with the ability to craft everything without consequence, laziness is the biggest influence on the economy right now and i dont agree we should take the work out of crafting until there's some other restriction there. (It doesnt take long at all to get to the point in EVERY crafting tree where you can craft everything. Then just give it to the best masterwork/enchanter)

GrayFog likes this.
  5. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

This is news to me. How much XP does an exceptional refinement grant? I always just thought this was something that wasn't really implemented yet as I never saw an obvious change like bonus items or the like. If it is significantly more than the default 20-40 xp for batch items, I might just switch to doing them one at a time.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its fairly substantial for advanced materials. They can yield over 1k exp when exceptionally crafted i think.

Crafting 1 at a time makes your pool deplete much slower if its around 100k or so (if your lucky you may see it go up instead of down)

7. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I tend to lock refines at around level 60. So pool doesn't go down for them. But if doing 1 at a time and boosting the skill level is a worthwhile investment, I may need to unlock my most common ones for a bit.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Many people seem to not know these things (I just bought 100 wolf carcuses for 600 gold), but for example butchery can give you up to 80 xp per item. This was great when I burned through the 1200 I already had (cough, 48,000 xp).

The devs have talked about this topic a lot even though the vast majority of people want to be able to batch 99. They dont want people to afk while doing it.

I rarely make this claim but this is one rare topic for me that I think they should be listening to their user base on but refuse to (stubborn!!!).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    discipleofweb likes this.
  9. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Hah, yeah. I just got enough butchering for wolves and bears. I need to set aside time to reduce my carcass count. Not sure what I'll do with that much meat, especially since I tend to go for int food. But I suppose it could be worth just converting into craft xp and practicing cooking skill.

10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, please, please please please.
    20 batch takes about 2.5 mins.
    This is too long to sit and watch it (boring) but not long enough to go do something else.
    As a bit of a power-crafter I often look at about 30-40 hours a week of refining. I've had to subcontract it out to even be able to leave town.
    Please, please please please, increase the batch, give us subskills under refining to increase the batch, please scale the speed up with level, please make refining less hateful ;)

uhop and ship2 like this.
  11. ship2

ship2 Avatar

@kaeshiva hit the nail on the head.. 20 is too long to watch and too short to do something productive in the mean time.. it just makes one think mean thoughts about portalarium, when we want to think good happy thoughts about them.

12. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

atleast give a max button so I done have to type or click 20 times to run up the counter.

uhop likes this.
  13. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I dislike the whole scene of crafting tables, it could look and feel way better than it does. And " Chip " is beginning to worry me, looking at me from behind.

14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Honestly my dream would be to just set max and have it go until I ran out of stuff.
    It wouldn't be any faster, but at least I could go make dinner or something.
    At the moment, I just play something else and tab in every 2m 36s to start 20 more going.
    I think any mechanic that encourages you to do something else (like, say, post on the forums....) while waiting for a progress bar, needs to be re-evaluated.
    If the long time sink is here to stay, well, then at least go the rest of the way and let us do it afk.

15. Curt

Curt Avatar

If change the max perhaps make it depends on your skill (giving more incentives to improve that skill)

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I would prefer they make refining and crafting more fun....There are no chances for fun things to happen in crafting...extra yield...burning myself on the smelting table, cutting myself during milling...etc etc...I could just set the machine to auto make me 100 or 1000 items...but isn't crafting supposed to be fun instead of just a waiting game? I guess I'm more into a Vanguard style crafting.

majoria70, EMPstrike and Net like this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Smelting 1 bar at a time gives you 2-5x more XP than batch smelting.

They have incentives for not automating refining. I dont really care to see an automatic afk-refine mechanism but i do agree it needs to be more fun

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. mass

mass Avatar

This makes more sense to me than huge batching. Do people really want game mechanics designed to have you walk away from the computer? Isn't that some sort of admission of failure? Like, 'Yeah, we know this part of the game is so boring that we'll just let you walk away from it.' It would better to have skills make refining more efficient, by letting you 1. increase per unit speed, 2. increase per unit output, 3. increase per unit exceptional chance for xp bonus; and let us have those advantages while doing our 20 batches. You could have surprises pop out during smelting that you have to click on to keep, like'ooohh, that chunk of coal had a diamond in it!' This way, you don't afk, and the more xp you contribute to skills, the faster you refine with better returns. Would make refining a viable area of specialization rather than a throw away game mechanic.

uhop and Lord Baldrith like this.
  19. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yep...I was fighting for crafting to be more fun for a long time but kind of gave up when Starr said "No MINIGAMES" because honestly, that is what I think would add alot to our crafting system. They could even give people the option to use their player skill to craft and create with better results or just do the automated system we have now...click craft done if you don't want to bother getting into your crafting project...

All I know is it is obviously NOT FUN if we are asking for the ability to let our character autocraft for hours so we can go watch a movie or something...Am I or Am I not playing a game here? Shouldn't it be fun?

uhop, MrBlight and mass like this.
  20. Lightfinger

Lightfinger Avatar

thought I'd add my 2 cents..

1. "20 batch takes about 2.5 mins. This is too long to sit and watch it (boring) but not long enough to go do something else." sounds like exactly what they want. hence your "subcontracting" is an added benefit of ".. what they want .."..
    1a. subcontracting = more player interaction, more of you in game (and whoever you sub..)
    1b. this is smart, keeps players caring about the time they're spending making things, which helps keep the value of the gear under control as well. If you can type "1000" and walk away for 2 hours, you dun give a (bleep)..... suddenly something you had to sit there for 2 hours to make and might be worth 2 gold is now worth 1 gold or less. . . .
    2. I too would like to see a max button -- or "20" button. As it is, I just type 22 or 33 or 44 or whatever and it changes to 20 automagically. (yes, magic must be involved..!) oh, and if it would immediately start the batch when I click 20, so I don't have to struggle further with the mouse.. and if it could have a hot-key associated with it. (maybe point the mouse at the 20 button and press E)

There.. 4 comments, 0.5 cents each..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.