Proposal to Portalarium - Adopt new live stream name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grimace2, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

On the success of 12 hour telethons
    and the future of
    Portalarium live streaming

Pertaining to https://www.youtube.com/user/Portalarium/videos

Also pertaining to live video on https://www.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar

Problems:

1. Searching for Portalarium live stream archival video on YouTube can be difficult due to the inconsistent naming convention used in the past.

2. The format of the 12 hour live stream has changed, improved, and outgrown the titles utilized in the past.

3. Unclear naming conventions create confusion and frustration.

Examples of past titles of live stream events:

• Fall into Winter Telethon
    • The Summer Telethon of the Avatar
    • The Spring Festival of the Avatar Telethon!
    • The Wondrous Winter Telethon of the Avatar
    • End of Summer Telethon of the Avatar!
    • Shroud of the Avatar Cyber Monday 12-Hour Streamathon
    • One Year Anniversary Celebration
    • Shroud of the Avatar Dev Chat with Richard Garriott and Tracy
    • Shroud of the Avatar Live Stream!
    • Space Bards Neon Shroud of the Telethon

Other naming conventions of videos include titles with:

• Community of the Avatar
    • Pen of the Avatar
    • Hangout of the Avatar
    • Deep Dive
    • Post Mortem
    • Dev Chat
    • Dev Cam

Solution:

Adopt a standard naming convention for live stream events that better reflect the content of the video and improve archival search ability.

Action

From this point forward I propose the following naming conventions:

For future 12 hour telethons ​
    • Summer Round Table 2017
    • Fall Round Table 2017
    • Winter Round Table 2017
    • Spring Round Table 2018

Monthly postmortems will continue with titles​
    • R39 Postmortem
    • R40 Postmortem
    • R41 Postmortem

Other future video content should adhere to similar standardized naming conventions.
    The video description can include additional information about the content of the video that would otherwise clutter the title.

On the Proposed Event Titles

The word telethon holds the definition of a long television program that tries to raise money for a charity by asking people to call during the program and make a donation.

The connotation of a round table better fits the theme of the game and lives stream content bringing to mind medieval Arthurian gatherings and celebrations.

For reference:

britannica.com definition of Round Table:

"in Arthurian legend, the table of Arthur, Britain’s legendary king, which was first mentioned in Wace of Jersey’s Roman de Brut (1155). This told of King Arthur’s having a round table made so that none of his barons, when seated at it, could claim precedence over the others. The literary importance of the Round Table, especially in romances of the 13th century and afterward, lies in the fact that it served to provide the knights of Arthur’s court with a name and a collective personality."

Closing thoughts:

• Postmortem is preferred over Avatar Autopsy.
    • The drinking element might bring to mind a buzz session.
    • A conference, seminar, or symposium all seem too formal for this format.
    • Be excellent to each other. And... PARTY ON, DUDES!

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

hhhaha! Love it! So official!

3. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I very much like the idea of standardization within the titling of the videos -- it should help folks rationalize their purpose and sequence as well. And as you said, I think doing searches on YouTube will become easier and hope if they do adopt this standardization, they rename their older videos so they're aptly named from the beginning. Also, I can see value in rebranding the name "telethon" certainly. And I certainly like the "Round Table" name as a possibility. Nice suggestions, Grimace -- good job ;)

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

5. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Hmmmm.... I kinda like it... Though I've also seen the word Avatarathon float around the webz... :)

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Grimace2

Nice. Really like it.

Also...since it is compulsatory (for me) at the mention of the arthurian legends to begin humming on carmina burana I thought I'd spread the disease...

7. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Maybe the best way should be discussed some more but generally I like this idea.
    (e.g. I would think that “SotA Round Table Summer 2017” or “SotA Postmortem R39” are more fitting and clearer.)

8. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

9. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

@Berek
    Thank you for uploading the recent 12 hour live stream to YouTube. I can't imagine the struggle you faced in doing so.

Would it be better to stop the live stream after 6 hours so there will be 2 clips or after 4 to make 3 clips?
    Or was the point keeping one link so people could find it?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

That's a good idea for the production of it getting on YouTube, though cutting the stream, even for a moment, tends to cause fall-off in viewers :(. We try to keep it streaming the entire time.

No worries though, I've defeated the roadblocks and conquered the path forward :).

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Or just clip by content section for better SEO and future referencing.

Grimace2 and Ravalox like this.
  12. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Berek, there's no need to cut the stream ... You can use any video editor (including Microsfot's Movie Maker (which is free, and still works on Windows 10 .. Gotten here for Win10 -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/movie-maker-free-video-editor/9nblggh4wwjr or here for Win7 -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13785/essentials-2012-release-notes

With this tool, all you need do is open the source file then select the location in the playback that you want to "split" it and select split from the edit menu. That will allow you to create as many segment files as you like within 5 minutes. Then upload them separately to Youtube as @Roycestein Kaelstrom suggested.

Reach out to me if you want a walk through, I do this type of stuff all the time and would be more than happy to assist you.

13. Berek

I could see about us cutting up future telethons by their hour theme to make it easier for everyone to watch...

14. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

And if you do a single upload, in the description, can have a lengthy description of what is going on per time hour. So even in a single upload, with a good description, Community Hour will have timestamps or whatever someone can immediately skip to that section.

15. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

If comments remain enabled (comments can be held on videos until manually approved) YouTube members can post time stamp links such as 1:23 and clicking that will skip to that portion of the video.

Mykll likes this.
  16. mercster

mercster Avatar

Roundtable Fundraiser

Doesnt have to be rocket science. Short, sweet, to the point, honest, and nice sounding. :)

17. Berek

I'm going to add some timestamps into the existing YouTube recording later today.

Mykll and Grimace2 like this.
  18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I like roundtable. Lots of ways you can take that. Call each segment within it a "Panel", seems more suited to what youre hoping to achieve.

Miracle Dragon and Grimace2 like this.
  19. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I like the idea of having a naming standard for searchable titles, but over the last 3 years these live interactive fundraisers have been called telethons, so I don't see why the names need to be changed - or that might just cause more confusion. 'Telethon' is a short word that invokes the idea of marathon-length, live fundraising with entertainment. I don't think roundtable is as intuitive in meaning.

Hmm.. if we wanted to represent these 'gatherings' in-game, what would they be called? Every Season is 6 years in-game, so these are kind of like 'state of the union' addresses and the 'olympic games' rolled into one. And 12 earth hours is 12 New Britannian days (and nights), equivalent to the traditional '12th night/12 days of Christmas' winter festivities from medieval times.. or which length is about a 'fortnight'.. It was traditionally very common to celebrate the new year over this length of time, The ides of March is an example of this, where on the old Roman calendar, the year began with March, and the Ides is March 15th. Infact, the Chinese still do celebrate the new year this way, with the New Year starting on a new Moon, and celebrations officially ending on the following Full moon (a fort night later). Maybe we can start holding the celebration 'in game' with it broadcast on a radio channel with in-game prizes and games and such..

Sorry I don't have any clever cool sounding names to add for ideas, but I think this could be a great direction to be thinking about these as the game takes shape and people will want to spend more time in-game than out of it, watching live video.

**Random: Lets use english measurements! they make more sense in a medieval setting! I like hogshead, as a measurement for barrels of wine which would certainly be served at such important festivities as these. There are two barrels in one hogshead!**

Grimace2 likes this.
  20. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

A clock is round, there are 12 hours on a clock, there can be twelve chairs (segments) around the table (clock).

Let's all continue the brainstorming.

@Miracle Dragon, great input! The history of telethons is wonderful.

I see telethon as a descriptor similar to tour, concert, performance, recital, etc.

When a band goes on tour the generic title of concert and tour are applied while the bands unite under a specific tour title.

The _Season_ Round Table naming convention can be extended to include a specific festival title (as used in the past).

For example:
    Fall Round Table 2017: The Final Countdown​

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.