Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Scene load times and one way to help alleviate them

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

A long time ago, I could exit to the main menu and click Leave Now (not wait for the 20 second timer). Once I was at the main menu then I could click Start On World Map immediately. If the countdown timer was not finished at that point then the game would make me wait until it expired before putting me on the world map. This had the great effect of making the scene load concur with the countdown timer. It still works to some extent but now I must wait for the countdown timer before clicking through to the world map. I lost the concurrence between the world map loading and the countdown timer. I really feel that we should go back to the old way of simply making us wait to be put onto the world map instead of making us wait for the menu.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    uhop likes this.
  2. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

That seems to be a sensible idea to me.

I am speculating part of the problem is memory management and hitting pagefiles. My office PC has 64 GBs of RAM and loads pretty darn well in the rare case I use it to run the game. My home PC has 12 GB. If I have other apps open, Chrome with sites like Facebook or Crunchyroll seems to be a big one, I tend to see pretty dismal load times. They improve if I close said programs. Further, the longer I play the game in a session the longer the load screens start to take. If I reboot my PC, they go back to being pretty reasonable again. That to me screams of memory leaks or garbage collection not properly running. Perhaps references are just getting held in lists and never fully let go, not sure.

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

they have acknowledged several big memory issues that came in with R39 and Chris has elaborated on a lot of them (exactly what they are) in the Tuesday Tech talk as well as their fix's. They are also thinking Unity 5.5 will help and it will probably fix most of them but introduce just as many more to fix. By release, they should have a lot of it locked down.

4. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Oh my, I had no idea this was a thing. Another set of videos to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.