Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Will there by anything more that can we expect in terms of quests?

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There are so many NPCs in the cities that it simply is very hard to find the ones with story-related quests.
    Therefore I think it would be better to just have the quest-related NPCs initiate dialogue and have the others just say one or two sentences when clicking on them without going into dialogue mode. Just have the text appear above their heads.
    This way it would be much easier to find the important quest NPCs.

2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, @Lord_Darkmoon,

this would be a solution finding the right NPC's providing quests :)
    And I think, for the first time, it would be okay, until the game quests expand.

Better to have NPC's for "decoration", we know they are (at least until there is more time - after releasing - to give them meaningful dialogues).
    As I understand the "blue is not an !"-thing, it should be this way, that the NPC's providing quests will indicate to do this.
    So it wouldn't be necessary giving the other NPC's standard text.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  3. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

waiting until after release to add dialogue to existing npcs would mean releasing the game in an unfinished state.

Ravicus Domdred and Sir Cabirus like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Having incomplete main quests would be unfinished. Continually adding dailog and mini-quests to existing NPC's (that are empty now) in game will continue as long as the game is running.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

one would hope that after release they will be busy working on episode two as opposed to still adding content to the episode that is already released.

at least, I would hope.

6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think your view is pretty black and white.

Q2 17 is quest time, Starr just tweeted the first look at what Q2 is going to look at. Why is it quest time, because all major systems (tech) are in the game (and being polished) and now quests will be one of the things to tie them together. That also means they can start creating secondary quests to also tie everything together. So ya, they will be finishing up E1 story line however secondary quests have nothing to do with episodes. You can add a quest to any random NPC to go run a burger over to their buddy in Adoris and those can go in at any time no matter what episode it is.

Why haven't you seen many yet, well you need to think like a dev. They actually generally would not be, you need to think out of the box, this is a new thing, everyone can play during development. We actually have some in game because people are playing the game so they have to have some content. If this were any other game, these probably would not have gone in at all until this time in the dev cycle. You also probably would not have seen even E1 story in much yet, how hard do you think it is to put quests in a game right in the middle of making major tech changes (like say uncloning a quest zone).... and then having to go back and fix the quests every single time.

So ya, Q2 is quest time, E1 and secondary questing. To all the people who have complained about incomplete quests up to this point, I have tried saying these things in the past but people just dont understand they are in a developing game and how that works. Im going to have an "I told you so" moment here by Q3. Now, it is still completely feasible that people think the finished and polished quests are bad in the end and they have the right to have that opinion and more power to them. My expectations are clearly not as high as theirs for a 30 man team with 11 million bucks.

I expect this game to be adequate at launch and has the potential to be great in 5 years (if we can give them the time or money).

the question I have is this, do you think if this dev team had AAA title money, 100 million bucks and a few more years of development before a traditional release, do you think you would have an Ultima like game that you want? I think we would and its just a factor of time. If you do not, I dont know why you are still here!

Sir_Michael likes this.
  7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

...but nothing you just said has anything to do with my comment. I was referring to when Episode One is officially released. Not Q2, or Q3, or whatever else. After episode one is released, if they are still then adding dialogue and content to the existing episode, it is by definition incomplete. Which is why I said that I would hope that after the episode is actually released, they will be working on episode TWO.

Do I think I would? Who knows. We definitely could. But then again, if they had made the Ultima game that I wanted, it would already be done and released, as opposed to being stuck in the mire of MMO mechanics.

Cordelayne and Sir Cabirus like this.
  8. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I share your opinion, this is also my view.

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I would have also prefered that, but then... RMT happened.

It's really amusing to see you guys repeating an already well made and refined point while ignoring the culprit.

You are also by interim partial to me :p

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Dear Community,

I think everybody watching this thread is really interested in quests and I understand a few of us were (a little) concerned about the quest status and wondered, if we will see further unique and meaningful quests.
    And if we don't focus on a time point of "release date", and as Starman said again, after all these posts, I would say:
    yes, Lord_Darkmoon, there is more we may expect.

I believe in :) Let's see if and how we are surprised with R 47 - R 49 ... or may be earlier? Just the Dev. knows :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

At least our permanent repetitions shows that we have conserved a little bit of interest to the game :p However - I'm quite sure nobody of the devs have read (and will ever read) these whole stuff. The dice have been cast - and the result is a MMO sandbox game with a unloved stepchild called story :(

Cordelayne, Ice Queen and Sir Frank like this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Indeed, I think its great that most of us can very maturely go over our gripes and still remember why we are here, and it kinds of binds us because it foments a philosophy not of ethical hedonism but of ethical hygiene (ok thats really deep). Because we followed King British (he don't like me using that term but hey) in the new world, away from EA and the evil... RMT, we should be able to strive for unity (no pun intended haha). But the "system" still oppresses us, still like a drop of water eventually gets to our nerves, we want to do some cleaning (speaking of ideas here) and it dreadfully means collateral emotional damage, that does not mix well with the tendency of amplification of emotional drama that currently prevails.

Just imagine how hard it was for Lord Gariott to swallow this pill. I have seen first hand the amount of lore and old stories and books he worked with to create this new game, it is very impressive, I was like a little kid again, my imagination was soaring. but...

I cannot speak for the devs... but... some of them I'm sure would have liked more focus on art and story and less on MMO mechanics. If I was one of them I would have diplomatically participated in these threads, it would do so much good to many of the broken hearts we inflamed serendipitously, it is obvious that something is holding them back.

I can offer no explanation, exept fear. Fear of having to go all the way and explain their true forbidden passion. That is bound to come at odds with the very pragmatic approach the "main devs" have chosen, that is aligned with the rational world. Who wants that in a game again ?

"But we Ultima fans have been titrated over so many years to achieve from downright bizarre to glorious ascension"

That is very abstract, a gut feeling I guess but I don't think anyone will say anything to it.

The more time passes by, the greater the divide, because life is meant to change.

That is why I have even went as far as boycotting the land rush.

You know why ? Because thats basically free money handed at me, because I don't need a big house I could have bought another account with that money.

I just... refused... "free money" that comes directly from RMT "enhanced rational reality".

Well, now that is called freewill and ethical hygiene.

I am that I am :)

peace

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I suggest you look at all that is being done : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?...edium=email&utm_campaign=r40instructions_main

This is an impressive ramp up from @DarkStarr of the lore and elements that constitute the platform from which a great story can be told.

Just a little bit more patience, then when everyone realizes I have been right all along, that there are 10 virtues, that the main reality has fallen within a time fracture, that life = change and if too much is the same it becomes a pain.

Oh my I'm rhyming again...

Things are shaping up... even with my flamboyant disarray I am in fact applauding.

It's just freakin awkward.

Being in the spirit but not in the good time.

So powerful of an experience :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.