Death oOooOOoOo!!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by RelExpo, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

@slandrew I also hope for people to be drawn to PvP, but I don't like the idea of PvP gear. In fact ever increasing gear tiers, and PvP only items are some of the things I hope this game avoids. It sounds like it will be avoiding it too.

2. Tizon

Tizon Avatar

2 all the way

3. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

Option 2

4. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Option 3 for me, don't like to lose things especially when its due to a lag spike or my router going on the blip :p

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. Hotdave

Hotdave Avatar

Option 2 is the only way for me, i really enjoy building up my characters skills, but would like to keep my skills when i die, however losing everything in your inventory no matter how valuable is what makes the game extremely exciting and what i loved about the ultima online series, its also why no game has really ever been the same since UO.

Zifnab_Strongarm and Kigro like this.
  6. Kigro

Kigro Avatar

Definitely option 2, it's the only way!

Hotdave likes this.
  7. Sean

Sean Avatar

Option 2 for sure!!! UO had death perfect with the lootable corpse and red blue grey system of people looting. And as another player mentioned a skill to speak to ghosts heheh OoOoOoo OoooOooOOOO

Zifnab_Strongarm likes this.
  8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

From where I sit, the sequence goes:
    PvP stat that makes you better at PvP only and is gained via PvP (gear, variant xp, special tokens...) ---> the passage of time sets the original group of consistent hardcore PvP players as inherantly better than anyone who comes after, because they have bigger numbers ----> their numbers only work in PvP, and that's what they like anyway, so they end up camping the PvP encounters --->casual players entering PvP lack both experience AND the numeric advantage, so they lose. Badly. And probably learn to hate PvP. ---> The PvP stagnates in gaining new membership. Meanwhile, the PvE game will be moving along, people getting more skilled, challenges becoming more elaborate. The tendency of all Persistent online games with large communities is to periodically introduce new content, and the PvP players won't see very much of it, since their PvP stat doesn't help them there. Nobody likes suddenly being weak, especially when they just have to return to their favorite stomping grounds to be strong again.

This sequence drives a wedge between PvP and PvE gaming even when the players are technically part of the same population, and the only division is self enforced. It also helps make the game suck.

The LAST phase of this death spiral comes when content is introduced that unfairly affects one group over the other. It doesn't matter who starts it, the devs will be forced to go on an editing spree, trying to fix what is broken. The fixes will inevitably become more erratic as the unforseen consequences to one group from the other group's fix necessitates yet another fix. Eventually, either it splits into two truly seperate games, or one group's experience is so ruined that player base starts evaporating. I'm pretty sure most of the people on this forum already have a game in mind from this last description...

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I didn't have a problem getting use to PvP in UO. There were PvPers that were playing several years before I decided to get into PvPing. I didn't find that the learning curve was too hard for me to pick it up. I'm competitive by nature, and it was right up my alley. There are PvP people and there are not. If there is a guy who is new to PvP and he gets beaten too fast, if he's a PvPer at heart he will get more gear and come back again and again until he doesn't get beaten.

That's probably why PvPers use such derogatory terms like Tram*** and Care***** .... terms which haven been banned from these forums. I don't think it's right to mock a person because of their personal prefrences. However the person who PvPs has at some point had to learn how to persevere, and forces themselves to learn how to overcome. A competivive person that starts to PvP doesn't give up because they got beat to fast, they will likely say to themselves "that person got lucky I'll be back, and I'll be back stronger".

Time Lord likes this.
  10. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Much agreed, and as long as there isn't a special 'PvP only' stat, be it from gear, from character build, or from some enchantment, then that kind of PvP experience is completely possible.

Isaiah likes this.
  11. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

All the way! No game in history has ever reproduced such a perfect PVP system as UO had, and I do not understand why its not used more, if i was a game dev, I would totally be ripping off the concept for my game.

Sean likes this.
  12. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

You did forget number 4 thats possible thats been in a game before I dont remeber which:
    (4) die dont lose everything but the looter gets choice of 1-3 items from your bag

13. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Thats why for murderers you make them always full time option 2 full loot loss when killed as a punishment for being evil and a morally evil player.

Crusader of Sacrifice likes this.
  14. ImRad

ImRad Avatar

I'm fine with option two, but would the defeated opponent be lootable too if this were the system? It's a hard balance but I see this as a scale tipping factor against a players choice in play styles. I think it'd be better if all were, or none were. One or the other, and maybe just penalize the murderer's skills upon death.

15. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

There could be so much more depth to a Life and Death cycle in a game... If you are not limiting its discussion to PvP concepts. :)

16. Boraxx

Boraxx Avatar

Option 2 is by far the best in my opinion.

HOWEVER: Items purchased as part of the pledge campaigns should not be lootable

17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

RIP OooOOoo (spirit speek 120 didn't help me understand what you wrote though :( )

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Ara

Ara Avatar

Agree.

19. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

Most people here seem to get it (if they played UO)... Higher risk = higher reward.

You don't have to separate the PVE and PVP communities. Trammel wounded UO, and Item Insurance killed it.

Guards in towns that kill unsavory characters keep people safe who are doing things like banking.
    Lootable items on dead avatars give people incentive to PVP, and they give an otherwise law abiding citizen temptation to take something that isn't theirs.

I used to mine in Minoc, just across the bridge, when I wanted to stay safe. Even though the resources would run out more quickly, it saved me from having to log on to one of my other chars to deal with the PVP.
    If I was willing to risk the PVP, I would venture out near one of the dungeons to be able to mine without exhausting the mountain's resources.

rild likes this.
  20. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Option #3...Not into punishing players so harshly for death. Death happens...bad playing or just bad luck...Bad connections...RL...etc etc.

Time Lord and MalakBrightpalm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.