Deathmage God Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

For the sake of this conversation I never mentioned pvp, death should be viable and wicked !!! But the best non proc dps spell should not also be the best heal system in the game..

Yes yes I get undead mobs are immuned cant ya fight all the living stuff with death and use banish if u decide u wanna fight the undead?

Death is only one tree add a second in to deal with the undead. Just imop

Stundorn likes this.
  2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I was and still am most likely one of the highest attuned life mages out there as well. When i do group content with others i always take the role as healer for the main reason i would die being my main specced build of now death for boss's.

But this doesn't help with my death build, 2mins of negative life attunement doesn't allow quick swapping between decks for any benefit.

One of the reasons i trained up another school highly was i was burned out on archery, playing it all through the releases and also non stop till Christmas. I fancied a change was all, i didn't necessarily choose death as i thought it was OP, nor do i do now. Like i said archery is the way to go v boss's or single target opponents, i also fancied taking on more than one and going into dungeons some more which archery isn't ideal for imo.(each school should have its strengths and weakness's, i don't call for them all to be the same as you are seeming to) I still have all my points in archery and could swap in a moment back to, also i have been accumulating a large XP pool with hope other schools will get some love, polearms/shields etc and believe me i will put all my saved xp into those schools over more into death to allow me to be more useful in more situations.

It would be a shame if all schools got nerfed/balanced so they are the same, how boring... We need them all to excel in various roles in the game and until people understand they cant do everything with ONE TYPE of school we will continually get these threads of this or that being op. Pick a school for doing X, another for doing Y, another for doing Z, mix and match if u wish, while then not being exceptional in one area of the game but being competent in all, its all a choice, be the best at X content, all points in XCVBTY or be versatile in all, stick points in GHTY, HGJYU, KIOLP.....

Hornpipe likes this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No one is looking for the same, just compedetive and ballanced. Stop being so defensive and listen just a bit.

4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'm leveling everything, stockpiling foods, potions, and artifacts and keeping a decent pool of XP. You're all screwed come commercial launch and I get serious about competitive PVP. :D

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  6. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Funny that giving melee a leech option was mentioned

Some of my favorite swords are Life Drain swords I bought from Sara for just that reason, hardly OP but an occasionally 10HP for free doesn't suck.

Don't see many purpose enchanted weapons (or truly high end armor) being sold any more.

What I really miss are my drain DOTs from EQ/WOW.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

@Bow Vale

No need to pull that out of context u know it was simple brain storming.

Idc what they do or how they do it, just want all builds viable dps = dps not talking suport builds before you bring up water

8. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Death is Its own Reward, The closer you are to death, the more powerful You Become, Its hardly Rocket Science, Those who go Death Build , (Presumably With lich Ring) Leave them selves Vulnerable if the other person is Highly death attuned plus warded against Death, and also using Celestial Blessing, aswell As Death shield to boost attune and Oh yeah, magic resist pots. I tested this With @Corp Por and @Kigu Starfish (Kor) , It Brings the damage right down, So raise your Stuff and youll be fine, but dont complain that you are getting rolled over because you couldnt be bothered protecting yourself.

9. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

You do actually have this leaching arrow already as a combo, all you need to do is to put points into i think its death ray and voila...Think its called decay arrow from memory..

Derium likes this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

......... outta time for ur games sorry

11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Everyone fights among themselves about this stuff but it is really the fault of the dev's. They keep making these uber skills in my opinion for testing, they jack them up so people switch and use the skill so they get actual testing for balancing. In the case of air and death, they let it go far to long and people cling to them and get angry about it. However, look at Earth, it was epic for a month before they nurfed the hell out of it in R40. As an Earth mage, I was perfectly happy with the buff, I became competitive in PvP, even as a lvl 92 giving the lvl 110 boys a good run for their money in tier 1 league. But that go nurfed to hell and I dont see a lot of people around here complaining about that nerf. If Earth stayed as powerful as it was, I would have no issue with death magic since it was balanced and I could at least compete. The point being is that every skill class should be competitive whether it be nurfing one or buffing up the other.

BALANCE!!!!

12. karakedi

karakedi Avatar

Some things are not easy.

If a class tree is reduced it must be this ARCHERY not DEATH. Only 1 bow (40K) and 3 gm you need for best DPS in SOTA

We spend a lot of money and experience to be a good death.

Lich Kind Ring 250-300k
    Normal +10-11 2 wands 80k
    Sage sash 100-150k
    Normal +8-10 Armor's 100k for normal cloth full set (Bone amor more expensive 250 - 400 or much)

And we can not kill undeaths...

Note: I have archery too.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Derium and Deathadder like this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Agreed where in the ballance phase isnt that correct?

I sell my bows for 85k, shootersash ring of the gambler = still expensive..

And yea u might need more than 1 tree if u wanna kill undead, all other specs use more than one tree.

14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

It took them one month to "balance" earth. It took them 6 months to "balance" air. Death is going on a good 6 months now with no "balance" at all.

One issue is they seem to just go to far with Earth and Air. The fact that casuals cant bounce around to the latest flavor of the month makes this game a 1% thing. I have friends in my guild who I *know* are moving to death now as casuals and they probably wont even be competitive yet by the time it gets nurfed (it will) and they are gonna be some pissed of people. I know a few of them dropped blunt and guess what... Blunt is next and they moved all their skills away as did I. 99% of players just cant do this. I myself dropped blunt 2 months ago, recovered 9 mil xp and put it in Earth. Then Earth is nurfed. Now I am trying to raise Blunt again. I just GM'ed the main skill again last night but it took me 2 weeks and now I need to work on all 3 passives again which will take me another month. This is wholly the fault of the dev's.

*This* is the kind of thing casual-hard cores like me really get pissed at.

discipleofweb and Brass Knuckles like this.
  15. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I'm playing a bit of Hearts Iron 4 at moment, We are so lucky here with balance and such in various schools in comparison...I am thinking of emailing paradox games and complaining that their balance is out of whack....... its so unfair that the Germans get a Panzer tank and I'm left with a piddly Sherman :(

16. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Here's the rub - and this is just me playing devil's advocate... my opinion is that the other schools are lacking, not that death is OP. The rub however is this, Death is the flavor of the month. A large majority of the top earners in game are using death to solo the rise, sieges, multiple cabalists, bosses. In turn they find more artifacts, find more potions, earn more XP, level their attunements even higher, earn more gold, and they have the power to undercut the market and cause swings that push out competition. Same can be said for blades... if it was just about skill, then it wouldn't be a big deal. Like I said, I don't think Death is OP, I think everything else is lacking.

If all schools were balanced, not equal... just balanced - this wouldn't be a big problem - but as it stands I can see how this drama is going to stay self perpetuating until addressed.

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well said!!!

But I dont think the devs every had the intention of allowing things like the rise, sieges, big boss's and cabilists to be solo'ed by anyone (groups). Making all class's powerful enough to do that would be a pretty big issue in game. That's wholly assuming the dev's wanted these to be soloable. If so, they you are right, all class's should get buffed up. But in return, I expect every other OP class to be balanced the same.

As a reminder to people, I was one of the Earth mages telling the dev's (with pictures and videos) that Earth may be unbalanced when I was hitting stuff for 300-900 hp regularly with Obsidian arrow. The fact they nurfed it means they dont intend to have class's that powerful. I can accept the nurf even though it became 90% of my build.

Again, I think death was made uber on purpose for testing of systems with a low population of players. Give 100 people the power to kill boss mobs really helps their data collection. Thats why I keep telling people to be prepared for a death nurf like I did with the earth nurf. If they want to ignore that of get pissed for saying it... so be it, I know Im pissing people off right now in my guild by saying this stuff. But when the nurf comes its gonna be a "I told you so" moment. I can say that right now for air... I told people to be prepared for its nurf and they just got angry at me for bringing it up.

Stundorn and Brass Knuckles like this.
  18. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

As a death mage, what would I have for survivabilty if the life drain was nerf'd? I cant use life spells, which I like. If I am pursing the path of Death, I dont want to touch life and I like I am garbage at it. Healing with water or sun doesnt cut it. What would I use? Potions?

Because as of right now I die pretty quickly on the mobs that matter. I know some Death Mages can solo everything in the game, but they also have high skills in other trees that supplement your character for resists, attument, survivabilty. I have mainly only my skills in Death and I pretty much have to stick to anything that is not Undead or a Boss. I dont think I have yet been able to solo a "Main" boss, one that people are activly farming as a Death Mage at my current advl ~85, last I checked.

So does nurfing death mage really solve the ballance problem in the game? Or is Death Mage just the flavor of the month just how air, fire, and bow were in the past? What does this nerf really solve?

In pvp we are pretty nasty, but not unbeatable. Granted, if you let us control the fight it wont end well, but there are many times ive been rocked by all different types of play styles. And I have been one of those people 2v1 vs @devilcult and he rocked me and another well skilled player.

Yes we are nasty, but is that from death solely or a combination of a bunch of other factors: potions, resists, attunment, buffs, player skill.

What survivabilty will I have as a death mage with a nerf to the life transfer? I played death mage from day one because I love the death mechanics in games. Sacrifice something to maybe get a gain that could be worth the sacrifice. My main DPS doesnt happen until I am almost dead, which is about 1 crit away from any skill. Which is handy in pvp cause the person is trying to KILL YOU, so i have a lot of opportunity to do maximum DPS, but if I have full HP I do no DPS.

I think the numbers need to be looked at closely instead of just focusing on one mechanic in the game, because remove that mechanic and it removes a play style that appeal to many different players. I have about 600-800 hp and two crits form earth can end my life, two crits from melee can end my life, two hits from a boss can end my life, two hits from anything can end my life, but if you do one crit, and I am able to recover and get a few more hits on you, you are going to have a bad time.

Or we can just nerf death, find out it didnt solve much besides turn another interesting/fun mechanic into a pumpkin . And we can move onto the next nerf.

Stundorn, Vrunk Hrrk, Derium and 2 others like this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Some good points, id be very upset if they removed life drain.

Death Magic scales very well as you grow in levels.

-Novias newest deathmage

Stundorn likes this.
  20. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

The issue with designing things to be "never do that solo" is that it leaves a distinct lack of high end (end game is that usually spoken term) solo content.

Slightly Lower level group content makes for good late game solo content.

Right now there is NO end game solo designed content that anyone would bother to do and the power curve is such that all the high level content is the group content people are complaining about people soloing with little chance for people to truely level higher (skills yes)

(I'm also not saying that EVERYTHING needs to be soloable)

Stundorn and Brass Knuckles like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.