How is the PvP?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Salohcin, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salohcin

Salohcin Avatar

I see zoned/flagged, player towns & guild wars (sounds abit like WoW) & it is not full loot... I thought full loot hardcore OvP was a big thing in UO...

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But this is not UO. It is a hybrid between a story-driven RPG and a sandbox onlinegame. Open PvP with full loot would never work in a storydriven game. No one would like to be attacked constantly when he just tries to finish some quests.

3. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

some of us really wish it was tho ^^
    I will wait and see how pvp turn out after ep1 is done and if it still looks like this I will probably be moving on... still have my hopes up but if you're looking for the thrill of UO it aint here...not yet atleast

4. Salohcin

Salohcin Avatar

:( besides the PvP this game sounds great, but none open full loot PvP, makes being evil in a bit pointless... Is it like ESO with a whole PvP continent or WoW BGs???

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

If you flag PvP, you are completely and open PvP everywhere. Many people are doing it. Its not totally open loot mostly because gear is like other MMO's and is very valuable unlike UO when I played it before 2000 where I would just run out with a robe and a deadly poison kryss and wrecked everything. Gear in this game is very important, It cost me a good 40 hours and hundreds of thousands of gold to get my perfect chest piece crafted so open pure loot. Its totally not feasible for one to just put on starter gear for PvP because they wont be able to compete unless they are a 1% type player who has 100+ GM's... who wreck people and can run around in their good gear and not worry. So there are a lot of variables and SOTA is not any different then what most MMO's have evolved into over the past 20 years.

What it is not is a purposely designated game for PvP where things like open looting are designed from the core as well as the game being completely PvP driven. Those kinds of games are hard to find and never really get big now.

Shroud is a pure hybrid sandbox like game meant to make you happy if you like to do everything like craft, PvP, socialize, farm xp, raid, kill mobs, explore, etc.... but it's not really hard core specialized in anything.

But we do have a set of "evil" PvP'ers now who have a great reputation doing PvP in game and seem to be pretty happy with it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  6. Salohcin

Salohcin Avatar

How will it play on my sys???
    Desktop Board DH61BF - Classic Series CORE I5-3470, 3.2GHZ, FCLGA1155, 6MB, 4 CORES/4 THREADS, TURBO BOOST TECHNOLOGY (BX80637I53470) - 8GB, 240-PIN Dimm, DDR3 PC3-10 PNY GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Graphics Card (VCGGTX10504PB

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

your PC is fine. Check your video settings, drop it down. I have a GTX980 and even I drop my video down unless Im streaming. SOTA is a video card breaker, not in its awesome fancy graphics but in the complexity of objects in the game that it has to render. My keep lot now has 1000 things outside and 800 things inside and it gives my video card a workout if Im at top settings.

8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Still a bunch of memory leaks so 16gb is kinda needed other that that you're golden

9. Salohcin

Salohcin Avatar

Hmmm, will 8 gig make it a lot worse?

10. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

as far as I can remember but there has been a ton of patches since, however it doesn't take long to pass the 8GB mark so I guess atleast it's not good :p

11. Salohcin

Salohcin Avatar

Still with low/med settings?

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

8 is fine, they have been heavily optimizing it, in R40 alone they removed 1-2 gigs from memory and mine usually sites around 6 gigs. 16 might help a bit now, but they will be doing more optimizations to lessen ram use and memory bugs that popped up from upgrading to Unity 5.5 2 weeks ago.

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Id also like to mention tht because there is no CAPS currently..
    To competitivly PVP .. theres almost a base level of skills you need up, or your quite literally just fodder.

The best chance you have is being in low zones and hoping someone else is also flagged..
    But yea the whole PVP area is weak as all hell.

14. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

PvP in SotA is poor and pratically pathetic. It is the sad reality.

The PvP guilds and PvP players have all left the community.

15. Salohcin

Salohcin Avatar

Well crap, I thought this was UO 2...

16. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Sorry, no more freedome.

Go look to chronicles of Elyria ...

Bye

17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I would recommend to check out some player-run PvP events and see if this is to your likings or not. Right now the game don't have enough population for the random PvP, but there are folks that get together do some PvP tournament/training/dueling.

For example: https://calendar.google.com/calenda...merica/Chicago&sf=true&output=xml#eventpage_6

Chronicles of Elyria looks promising in concepts. They do have some streaming demos and video broadcasts of the developers, but no actual playable demo to try yet.

If it is an isometric view sandbox-ish that you crave for, check out Shards Online (I think they rename to something else) or Albion Online.

18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

if you are looking for UO of 1999 ( not the current EA version) then check out Shards Online (aka Legends of Aria).

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Not to forget:
    every zoning needs 1Minute or more.
    SSD strongly recommended. There is an open world Map with Scenes, reminds me somewhat of Mount and Blade.
    Unflagged people can instant attack you.
    There is no Balance.
    There are some players who had exploited things you never can catch up.
    Ok not never, maybe it's possible in some years. You need to like grinding a lot.
    Not 100 or 500 hours...
    And you need help to become competetive, serious.
    I wouldnt recommend the game for pure pvpers. Try at free trial weekend and try to contact some of the pvp players.

20. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

There is PvP, and while it is not full loot 'give me everything in your inventory' there is a loot/ransom system in place. A lot of the best PvPers attend EVL's virtue league, which is a 1on1 tournament with sponsored prizes. It's a good place to go and learn about deck and gear building, and what's the current most popular builds. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-virtue-league-evl.46166/

PvP is still a system in flux as always (every mmo constantly balancing pvp even post-ship). Some PvP-only zones are in place and others are in-development (A high-end pvp only dungeon is coming soon, called 'The Fall').

Anyways, I encourage you to seek out and talk to people who actively participate in PvP for an accurate description/tips/tricks/opinions. There are a lot of 'PVP vs PVE' arguments to be found but I think that is not at all what you created this thread for. Add Friend me in-game if you like, List Rostov
    Cheers! Hope to see you out there killing people!

Womby, Ancev and Duke Avery like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.