How is the PvP?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Salohcin, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I used to flag a lot more than I do now, but I do spend most of adventuring time in multiplayer/PVP scenes. Shoot me (Gideon Thrax) a friend invite in game and we'll go hunting. There's this one guy in particular I need to turn into red paste... he's pickpocketed me twice in the past couple days at zone entrances and then runs for the exit... I need ten of his skulls for a project now.

2. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Basically this is the way I think the end-game PvP loot system works:

you make a combat deck with skills and spells in it and you manage to kill some other players but there's definitely some players you can't figure out and they beat you consistently.

...so you make another combat deck, and that deck requires some additional gear and skills. now you're carrying 2 sets of armor instead of 1. This particular deck lets you beat the type of players above, but...

then you come across another type of player that you can't beat, and you create a deck for that type of player... now you may have even more gear in your inventory associated with this new deck.

When you die, the ransom system grabs 2 items so if you have more valuable gear in your inventory there's more of a probability that these items will be selected. The ransom system will assign a gold value for the items that are selected - I've seen a ransom value for a player crafted bow at 2200g and stacks of reagents in the 5000g range. This lets you get paid for winning fights, especially if the gear is part of one of the player's combat decks. You wont get the gear but you'll get the gold for it. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to pay the ransom, because you could go buy those items from an NPC or player for a cheaper amount. (players sell reagents too)

In theory this gear accumulation concept should help thieves too, as PvPers continue to accumulate sets of gear in their inventory there's a higher chance they'll steal something good.. but it's random. In UO you could snoop the inventory and direct steal an item. Seems like high level thieves should have the chance to steal multiple items.. not sure how it's currently working end-game.

There will be some players with much better gear and higher skills which deck manipulation wont solve. Information is power, make notes on players and pick your fights. If a player is beyond your capability, maybe find some friends to help you.

There might also be some additional PvP loot mechanics in the works.

Vas Corp Por likes this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

How long do you think a player would need from headstart to be competable in EVL League or kill pvp desired people in open world or a PvP scene?
    3 Month of 24-7 grinding, 4 , 5...?

4. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

you would have to fight to find out.

Vas Corp Por likes this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Right click, examine tells me a lot !
    If i have half the hp , focus and stats - and that's the most difficult or grindy things to get up - i barely need to give it a try.

The Obsidian Eye likes this.
  6. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Right now, the newer PVP scenes are tier 4s and 5s, so the people in them are people capable of surviving/hunting in tier 4s and 5s and have therefore put that much time in. As for people running around flagged.. I've seen all ranges. Granted.. they can go into soltown with their tier 5 stats/gear and you effectively have a low level dragon to fight if you're only a couple weeks in.

That is not to say every pvp flagged person runs around like a chicken with their head cut-off attacking every other flagged person. It just puts pvp on the table as a possibility. My personal favorite encounters in open pvp mmos all revolve around meeting people in the wild, and deciding to fight or not, or make friends or not.

As for the tournament guys... they're spooky and have put in a lot of time. 3-4 months at least, some have 50-100gms. They represent a sample of the best pvpers in the game though. They do break the tournament into 'Tiers' however, based on max hp and experience.. usually 3 tiers. If enough people showed up with low level stats, they'd put them into their own bracket, not throw them against the best people. Don't want to speak too much for EVL, it's their tournament. @Jade (is this the right jade?) @Caree Death @Sheamus McGuinness

7. Vas Corp Por

@HogwinHD (Alexander John in-game) is the reigning champion. Also @Audacity and @Silis are members of a group that hosts a PvP weekly Dojo, with guest speakers on various pvp tactics topics. I believe they started recording the talks too.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Don't forget that @Vallo Frostbane is the #1 PvPer and DoD challenge all PvPers to just bring it. :)

Grumpy likes this.
  9. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Thank ypu @Vas Corp Por , But It wouldnt Be fair if We didnt Mention @Corp Por , @Kigu Starfish (Kor) or @parallelogram and of Course @Jackdepirate . These four guys Are Some of the absolute Best pvpers In the game currently,

They spend their time, Grinding and also Duelling each other when they can in order to fine tune Decks and Have friendly competitions, much of what i know i learned from fighting these guys,

They are super helpful if they arent busy will help you Out. You shouldnt be scared of reaching out to one of us if you have questions :)

Belgtor, Pinky2, Ancev and 2 others like this.
  10. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

He means competitive pvp @E n v y :D

Caree Death and Stundorn like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

How much more competitive can you be in open world. Open World PvP vs Organised Tournaments is like the Sea compared to a Fish Tank.

Better to be King of the Sea thsn King of a Fish Tank :D

Either way....bring it :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Grumpy, Vas Corp Por and Stundorn like this.
  12. Vas Corp Por

Having seen the video of Vallo's giant pile of unaccepted friend requests, I wasn't sure if I wanted to feed o_O's flagged pvp to Vallo =P

(Which is exactly how I played UO and would play this game if I was allowed. More Villains!)

13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Well I did some duells, won most of them, also against people some levels above me.
    I'll give PvP scenes a try in some month i guess, but i'll not seek for battles bco my RP and i will have some protection , at least i hope so :D

@Vas Corp Por maybe think over PvP beginner scenes like you mentioned above that are locked to people with adv level ≥ 100?!?!?!?

Vas Corp Por likes this.
  14. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

you already know i aint afraid of no Vallo :p

Vas Corp Por likes this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You sure? :D

[​IMG]

Vas Corp Por likes this.
  16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

E n v y and Vas Corp Por like this.
  17. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Believe me, im Quite Sure :D

18. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

And then after they bring it, you res kill them regardless of adventure level. Where's that poop emoji at?

E n v y, eli and HogwinHD like this.
  19. Vas Corp Por

AFAIK this isn't a concept we have. I've seen this attempted in other mmos (Age of Conan for instance), where people lock at the maximum allowed level, twink out their gear, and just grief all day, and that becomes the new most newbie-gank-happy area in the entire game. It would be nice to have some lower tier pvp zones though (where the npcs are lower tier and the quests are meaningful for people >100 adv). I agree with that.

Stundorn likes this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oh yes i remember sadly :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.