New game: Grinding of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bahamut Arc, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

+1 for that.

Thats cool. He loves the game playing "The Sims" Style. I already did that and Thats ok if he enjoy that way.

Not sure about easier. Well, if you mean that you can already kill tough mobs, have a good exp pool and then just throw it at some skill.... ok then. Lets talk something really hard. I challenge you to have GotA(Grinding of the Avatar) Tame creature skill at level 160 before i gm my taming skills at UO. I dare you to accept my challenge. I wont even ask you to reach lvl 200. 160 is ok.

2. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

I shouldnt have to. Is new content capped too? If not, i wont be able to kill a thing in the future

3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

4. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I laughed so hard I think I peed myself. :37 - :55...priceless...LMAO!

I suppose the only answer to the grind is to either laugh it off or weep bitter tears of frustration.

5. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

hahahaha. Thats how i feel playing Grinding of the Avatar

6. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

you are not wrong. Starman listed a bunch of games, all those games have caps. Shroud needs caps. the gain/lose/gain/lose sucks.

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I enjoyed that too, to much! :D

And So o_O...
    What I'm reading here is that grinding seems to be frowned upon, with no replacement in gaming.
    Every game anybody ever plays is a grinding game :D We, plug them in, we turn them on, we hit all the Super Mario buttons the game tells us to push and for some reason "that's somehow wrong" o_O?'
    This is almost like the "Pay to play argument", which has no basis in reality and serves only as a catch phrase for "I want more gaming drugs because the old ones just aren't good enough to get us a good gaming high at a pricing that comes for free".
    I once heard our SOTA Card Combat described as "Whack a Mole" :p But in the reality of gaming, we hit all the right buttons at the right time and every game is a "Whack a Mole Game" :D
    But what really is here to hear, is the outcry of playing an unfinished game, because it's not finished yet :confused:!
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~:D

8. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I just have to question why the OP is still playing if he doesn't enjoy any of it... seems silly...

Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Time Lord I disagree that all games are a grind. I don't think Super Mario is a grind unless you're not a fan of Super Mario play, but lots of people would call it Super Happy Fun Time.

Here's the definition of Grinding

grind·ing
    ˈɡrīndiNG/
    adjective
    adjective: grinding
    1. 1.
      (of a state) oppressive, tedious, and seemingly without end.
      "grinding poverty"
    I never felt like Deus Ex is a grind. I DID feel like The Witcher got a little grindy, but it made up for it.

But if you were only talking about MMO's, I would say that you are right at some point in all of them, they all hit that wall where you're just doing things to get past doing them, and it sucks your soul.

Ravicus Domdred, Salix, Arc and 3 others like this.
  10. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Arguing against no hard cap in sota is like arguing that capitalism sucks because there is no hard cap there, I mean, how the heck are we all meant to become billionaires without a hard cap to money!

fonsvitae, Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  11. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

In a fantasy game that wants to make people enjoy it and make them feel like they stand a chance, then hard caps do help. Not everyone can play 24/7. Some people have lives, a family, and a job. Not all of us can play sota from work on the bosses dime either, and I know many of sota that does this very thing. So if you can only play 10 or 15 hours a week how are you supposed to be competitive. You are going to die due to disconnects, memory leak lock ups, or what ever bugs are present in our "persistence" but not launched. Some people will never catch up to the status quo, and that is a shame. I feel its very detrimental and actually physically impairing to play a game 18+ hours a day. Blood clots kill. Why not just have no decay and a high top end that everyone will eventually get to? It worked for uo for 20 yrs.

12. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

The OP forgot to mention questing...

I'm on a quest to find quest number 11. It's one more than ten.

I've been searching far and wide, on a quest to find a quest. After three years you'd think I could find a more than a few.

Perhaps, I should put my '?' hat on and talk to myself.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm grinding are the best I've ever had

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Grinding the Zen :) or Grinding Up the Zen... That is the question :p!
    I do know what you're saying here and I understand what you mean, but grinding is both good and can also be bad,
    It's the "feel" part that becomes like attempting to describing "Love", which should take 1'000'000+ words having so many songs written about it. But as far as grinding, we can also grind sausage and be quite happy while eating it :D

This is Debby Downer vs FanBoy styled argument because, some people are just from a culture of complaining or a culture of happiness and everything between. I know so many guys that try and play "the heavy" when discussing their machismo or anything they expressed that machismo about anything. They enjoy the cynical nature instead of the more bright nature. I'm an X-Ranger, but that doesn't define my nature, I defined it. I could depict that same sarcasm as some may feel tough guys should, but those are frightened people attempting to hide their own doubts about themselves. I just finished up working around some of those types and they can't do squat because they have to overcome their own squat. When we all pull back our false faces, or even know they are there, then rhetoric about feelings comes down to a personal choice to be happy or satisfied or not. If we are not happy and secure within ourselves, then that's not going to change for long when depending on others to provide that happiness for them.

It's a half full, half empty issue we're dealing with in this OP. Or that's the way I see it.
    Every game we left, is because we were bored with it, which became the bad type of grinding.

I think our SOTA is the good type of grinding, while others need to search for something they need more than a game to make them happy. Others would disagree, but that doesn't change my mind about my own happiness within SOTA. For others it may be their band wagon, but my band don't play that kind of music theirs does :)
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  15. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Good Point. Maybe you are right... too damn right

16. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Thank you! Really! +1

17. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

haha. Well, quests are really something within sota. I wont complain about quests that much. And you are right, we need a lot more really good quests.

18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yeah you pretty much summed up why I don't play anymore. I dont mind a good grind when there is a goal and a purpose to it. Like grinding to get stronger, so you can kill harder bosses, who in turn drop epic loot, tied in with a compelling story, that makes me feel connected to the game world. Instead there are maybe a dozen quests, some of which make no sense (including the main quest lines). Epic bosses drop crap except for the new nazgul ripoffs. Unfortunately, even trying to find a party to take them on is impossible and i know a ton of you in game! :)

I hate crafting because its the ultimate grind. Especially given the fact that when I chop down an entire tree I dont even have enough wood to start a fire. Let alone carve a wooden bench. Oh I also wouldnt want to forget the deco grind for your house, but good luck finding enough furniture out there! I REALLY want to love SotA but to me, every aspect of this game is a grind. I already have a job that I grind away at, I dont want to do it when I play a game, lol! :D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  19. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

LoL. I feel you. Im married and i have a son. Its grinding enough already. I Still need grinding to play Grinding of the Avatar, gets money and stay with high grades at Medic college. Its seems to me i will have to cast away one of those items... well, who needs family anyway? #Throws Away Family#

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.