Deathmage God Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Some instances of mobs being immune makes sense. Are you really going to light a fire elemental on fire?

In deaths case it would be nice to see at least the damage portion work on undead just due to the sheer number of undead in the game. (Pretty sure it was that way early in persistence and the heal didn't do anything because there is no life to be drawn).

Stundorn and Brass Knuckles like this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

In the case of earth and many others it does make sense giving high enough attument and skill. When it comes to earth, even with my massive spec, its really hard to hit them, as if they have 4x the hp. It can flow logically that if you are strong enough, the force of a earth fist on an earth elemental still physically damages it a bit (think about that ridiculous part of The Hobbit move where the mountains started attacking each other). If you have huge fire attunment, its still feasible that your flame is so hot it melts the earth slowly.

Same can be said for undead. The physical force of a high attuned death mage can still damage an undead.

But I think it can be really problematic to make mobs 100% immune (well, except maybe boss mobs, but not farming mobs). This clearly forces death mages into having a second tree loaded. Is it feasible with the new pet changes coming in that Atos is talking about that the Death pets can physically damage the undead.

3. mass

mass Avatar

I think all trees that have a PVE group with immunity should get a skill that allows you to turn 1 creature to your side temporarily. Like a 'turn undead' skill that makes a skeleton or ghost or whatnot fight for you (or watermages turn water elementals, etc.). To me, it makes sense that you control that element, so while like elements shouldn't damage each other, you should get some control. This wouldn't be a great attack type of skill, but more of a support type of skill that allows you to escape or distract the enemy while you fight it with some other type of skill.

4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Is that buffs only? It should also affect innates in the magic trees too.

Stundorn likes this.
  5. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I read what Chris has said about pet changes and I find what will be funny is if this thread gets its way and death ray gets beat over the head with the nerf bat but the lich pet becomes a literal axe murderer.

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

1st i need to say i have less experience and knowledge of the game as the people i quoted and i respect their knowledge!
    2nd i do not play competetive,
    But i found this thread very interesting and its a good source to get to know more about the combat mechanics.
    So thanks!

Isnt that your own fault to follow the fotm?

No offense, i like your posts mostly and respect your knowledge and honesty.
    Yes, it fits from a RP view as there is corpse wax in it. Ask @Bowen Bloodgood :D.
    Whats about Ban Undead against Deathmage with more than 50 Atunement in Dead?
    Just a spontaneous suggestion.
    I really would like skills to avoid battles.
    A build or deck that allow you to flee from pvp and make it hard to catch and kill you. You couldnt beat the other with it, just flee.
    Signed!!!
    It's not the only way to approach to the game.

I agree, will never raise a tree just to stand it better. Feels... Just wrong and not worth. Another cause to stay away from pvp.
    Unlearned Pole, never want to use a weapon again instead of a Staff (i will cry if they move it from Bludgeon to Pole :p
    ) but i'll stick too Moon. I always buff me with celestial blessing, i love Shadowwalk for RP Reasons and hope they will increase to have less aggro from mobs when you use it.
    Someone mentioned something about Meteor Swarm to come. Cool.
    It would also be a good tree to avoid any fight as i asked for above.
    And i use a Charm and Moonbeams deck to gather in the Woods. They should loose aggro for x % maybe. It would also be cool to have a focus regen from the wisp or cocoon of night.
    Then it's maybe interesting how @Corp Por beats a Deathmage, isn't it?
    Ha! :)

I'll stay away from death, Fire, Sun magic and concentrate on Water, Air, Moon and Live for RP / immersion Reasons. So I am not a vial poster in this discussion and it will take me years to be competable if ever and i have high interest in Pvp Areas and pvp, but like it is it's more about prekären to die and try to implement this "weakness" into my roleplay :rolleyes:
    I am not going to change my attitude to the game, but as i said it's really interesting thread and it didnt derail or is closed after 12 pages on a mostly pvp topic - Award :D

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

*poof* Huh what? Where am I now? *reads* oh I see.. um.. from an RP view I can't imagine anyone except a death mage being ok with corpse wax in healing.. but as an alchemical ingredient it has other problems.. such as not being soluble in water. So how are you going to make a potion out of it?? But otherwise I don't see why a 'deathmage' wouldn't use a normal potion like anyone else.

Brass Knuckles and Stundorn like this.
  8. Valkadesh

Valkadesh Avatar

Stepping in here (perhaps inadvisably...) just to bring some perspective on Death Magic from someone extremely new to the game.

Going into this, I had intended to start out building as a mage and, without hearing one way or the other about it prior, started working on Death Magic first as I noticed it had a summon and a summon buff passive as I'm big on summons/pets and Death Magic seemed to be the way to go for a corpse buddy. After poking around with it briefly, it immediately seemed a bit more powerful than perhaps it should. I'm not sure how the life tap type spell fares in comparison to some of the strictly direct damage abilities, but the amount of damage and healing it does seems pretty good. Haven't unlocked death ray yet, but the elephant in the room seems to be corpse explosion which is absurd in its current state as, short of undead, I feel like it is simply an "I win" to any sort of group encounter as you only need to take one or two targets down to cause a cascade. I was surprised enough to find out corpses would explode multiple times that I considered reporting it as a bug but it seemed prevalent enough that I assumed it's well known already (and it appears it is).

I don't know nearly enough about the game to realistically be making suggestions, but a few things come to mind that should probably happen:

- Corpses should only explode once. Having the corpses being a requirement at the moment almost seems moot and you might as well make it a PBAoE that multiplies on use in its current state. Make corpses explode once and maybe increase the damage significantly to compensate. Corpse explosion is almost always implemented as something to do a quick burst of AoE damage either as a finisher or to get an edge, not the consistent spamming that you can currently do with it.

- Regarding balancing the magic school in general, trying to do so damage wise is likely going to end up in a back and forth buff/nerf war that will never end with different schools trading flavor of the month each patch. A few of the schools seems to be focused around specific traits and specializations and not necessarily something outright comparable to the other schools like damage (Moon for instance being mostly stealth and CC, nobody is really comparing it to Fire for damage output...) and it may make more sense to try to keep all of the schools balanced in such a manner. Fire I would imagine would be the highest in raw damage with more risk, but Death perhaps should do a fair bit less but with more sustainability and maybe introduce debuffs like Weaken if they don't already exist, or replace some of its existing outright DPS with similar modifiers. In a purely selfish suggestion, also more pet options/focus/upgrades :3

- Regarding the undead being immune to it. It makes sense I feel and helps balance it out somewhat with how often undead pop up. At the absolute most I would expect it to take heavy reductions (I'm talking 75%) if it did do any damage to undead.

Like I said, too new to really say much here, but thought I would throw my two cents in. I figure if someone who just started can use corpse explosion and immediately be unsure if they were cheating or not in doing so, there's probably something that needs to at least be looked at again.

Stundorn and 2112Starman like this.
  9. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I must say I am enjoying Death magic. I went and picked up a +25.5 death wand from Corp Por which brought my death attunement to 106. I then proceeded to go into K'rul and solo all the mobs. I don't even need focus so don't need to bother with tap soul in my deck so omg I was able to use my heal spells at full strength. There is no other school of magic I can grab a wand for and solo dungeons with so something is out of balance there.

discipleofweb and Stundorn like this.
  10. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Another death mage!!! Have you found death magic situational?

11. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Yah it's very situational like 90% of situations I hit a death spell lol. The other 10% of the time I hit banish undead/life spell ;)

Stundorn likes this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Can you loot after a corpse exploded?
    If yes , than this and the fact that you can use it more than 1 time is imbalanced.
    It's ok if it's powerfull , but 1 explode per corpse and no more loot , it should just disappear after it's exploded.

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Can you use other area spells from other trees more than once? Yes. Do you have to kill things in order to use area spells in other trees? No. Can you use area spells from other trees on undead? Yes.

If you can only use corpse explosion once, why would anyone in their right mind bother to have it in their deck? You would have to kill 4 things to maximise then rinse repeat.....it would become a waste to even the spell in the deck.

I don't mind no loot if you use corpse explosion ...... I would gain so much pleasure in exploding other people's kills.

Grumpy likes this.
  14. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Yes you can loot it after and yes you can explode it many times. It's not chemistry it's magic so you are using the death force energy from the corpse to damage near by enemies, Repeatedly for 5 mins or until the body despawns. *Sarcasm* But it's not OP I swear.....;) it's situational like "90% of situations" I can gather the nearest monster and once dead I blow it up in a pile adding more to the situation so I can continue to explode more things with more damage. The thing is you don't actually need corpse explosion to solo places with death that's just the fast easy kill button. That is not the the imbalanced part. What many people might forget however Death is one of the most expensive trees exp wise to level. So if we want a viable other option in other schools of magic the exp should probably be adjusted as well. I think most of us at this point have realized that we have to master all schools of magic to be viable as a mage, that 90% of end mages are running a death deck that's just situational......as in there is no real comparable damage in the other schools of magic type of situation.

Innascual Inch likes this.
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Ok, understand, dies it cost regs?
    Can.only compare to CL.
    And it seems to do a lot more damage, but cannot proof it.

16. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Death and Air are my goto trees for supplementing ranged and blades. I love chain lightning - use it all the time. I love corpse explosion too, but I hardly ever use it because it's such a pain in the ass to set up. With chain lightning you can wrangle mobs and kite and AOE and whatever... with corpse explosion - setting it up is like herding cats - then you have to lure mobs over to the murder pile. Corpse Explosion is a single player mode, friends only mode spell by my estimation... in multiplayer, and PVP (where the game should be) it's too much trouble.

tl;dr
    Nerfing CE will only hurt grinders that stay in single/friends modes - which is basically 99% of the players that log in. :D It's a hoot to use and is good for killing cabalists, but not practical for multiplayer or PVP.

E n v y and Stundorn like this.
  17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

But if you describe you solo the Rise with it. I dunno if you can do that with CL for example.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Corpse Explosion will be fixed in R41 (ie you will only be able to use it once per corpse).

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

People can farm the Rise using only Corpse Explosion like this: pull a mob or two into a hall and kill them. Drag more mobs to the same spot and kill. The more corpses you have piled up, the more powerful Corpse Explosion is. You can keep pulling mobs to the same spot and few Corpse Explosions will kill them, leaving more corpses.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

"fixed".....oh you mean completely destroyed beyond reasonable use?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.