Deathmage God Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It was never intended to be used more than once on a corpse. That was a bug.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Can you link that please lol

3. eli

eli Avatar

Actually, if you combo douse with juxtaposition (chaos), it decreases fire resistance.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

But if it is like he said and I know its really stronger than CL , or what AoE did you refer to @Envy.
    I don't care if it is like it is, but it seems to me op compared to other AoE .
    But i sure understand your posting and comparison before.
    Well I once saw someone insta kill 4 mobs with one explode , so if they nerf it then there are still 4 corpses left and the next 4 would add and you have 7 (3 from the first kill, 4 from the new) and then use 1 to get another 4 ...
    Or am I wrong at this?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, no. I'm not going to search through all the dev posts. However, I think Chris may have talked about it in one of the Tech Talk Tuesdays.

[edit] BTW, I don't have any axe to grind against death mages. I'm only relating what I heard from the devs. BDF pays much closer attention to death mage stuff and he might be able to point you to the post or video.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's a great example and I appreciate you bring it up.

But let's walk through what you're talking about. If you're a fire mage and someone uses Douse, in order to counter that you need to have Juxtaposition in your deck AND Douse and you need those spells to be unlocked and you need them to be available whenever another player uses douse. Meanwhile, the other players just locks one casting of douse and it lasts for like 22 seconds at level 1 and is incredibly effective.

That's not a viable system, it's a broken one. And it extends further to all schools of magic that don't even have a similar active counter (like Douse) let alone a counter to the counter.

fonsvitae, eli and Stundorn like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im gonna clerify my stance here. I dont have issues with Death and its features, I just have issues when people pretend its not over powered, broken math, and even exploitable.

Corpse explosion was an exploit in my mind.

if people dont know reading this,

When it comes to corpse explosion, it was clearly broken and being exploited and Violation was the one who brought it up in Tech Tuesday with Chris. You can drop 7 mobs, touch them every few mins to keep their corpses from disappearing, pull in mobs and pop corpse explosion for thousands of damage (with say 7 corpses sitting around you), thats a major issue.

But, you may be right, they have a tendency to nurf it to far to the other extreme, we'll see what comes out of it. I dont see any reason why having them change it so the corpse could only be unused once is completely destroying it.

Is there anyone who disagrees with this other then the people who were doing this? The Devs have clearly stated that they do.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If you are high level with high attunement there is chance you could kill low/mid-low end mobs with a corpse explo if you crtit. Only 4 explosions go off now, that was capped a while back. As I said before if you know you can only use the spell once you need to make sure it counts, you need to kill 4 mobs without using corpse explo......then using it is highly unlikely to "kill" another 4 instantly.........why would you bother with the spell? Spam chain lightning, spam earthquake instead.

Derium and Stundorn like this.
  9. eli

eli Avatar

yup it's clumsy, but as a fire mage it's worth the combo not just for anti-douse, but for general buff of your fire skills. it, as well as many other things, would be far less clumsy if we had more than 10 bar slots, and could afford the real estate. Personally I think it's still worth 1.5 / 10 slots (since i would probably have douse anyway)

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Douse does not make you immune to fire spells. It only gives you a bit of resistance. Fire spells still do a tremendous amount of damage even with fire attunement, Fire Proof and Douse combined.

Lord Baldrith and Stundorn like this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Corpse Explosion has been what it is since forever... that's not a bug. That's people getting loud enough about it that the devs are compelled to respond to it. SUCK IT DEATH MAGES! For the sake of posterity though, Corpse Explosion is not a bug - it's a sacrificial lamb so everyone will shut up about death magic and get on with their lives. Now, if everyone could put that same saltiness into hating on taxes - maybe the devs would finally lower them! TAXES ARE A BUG... come on people, say it with me! TAXES ARE A BUG!

Grumpy, uziraff and E n v y like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would say it was more of a play style......a bit like an archer kiting a high level boss taking no damage.

4.....the number of explosions from corpses is 4

You right, the spell still exists.......it just makes it a spell that people probably won't use. There were lots of ways it could be tweaked......looked like its gone the same way as taming and stealing......ie make the game less fun.

2112Starman likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im really sure how you can take the stand that its "working as intended". Here is how you can tell that its not, when its only used by a few people and is kept hush hush for a long period of time and probably even sparingly used by the people who do it to not draw attention to it, no bug reports are reported by the people who are doing it.... you know its probably an exploit. As Chris sais yesterday, they look in the players log and they say "we gotta do this as much as possible until Chris fixes it"... clear indications.

This kind of thing was happening when Earthquake was doing tripple hits, they sure as hell fixed that fast when they found out. hell, I use Earthquake and I didnt even know that it did that lol!!!

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I often come to the conclusion that things in the low, mid and highlevels have different powers and this need to be balanced too.
    I think at the top end CE isn't maybe that powerfull, but in the beginning it is more effective and earlier available and without the costs of CL or EQ.

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Oh well.....looks like peer pressure has won the day again.......no doubt it will keep winning until there is no game left.

Derium likes this.
  16. eli

eli Avatar

I kinda agree, we'll have to wait and see though. The 90% use case of utility is removed, but it is still a really good finisher. People put coup-de-grace on their bar even though it's useless for 90% of the fight.

Lord Baldrith and Sara Dreygon like this.
  17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I was stacking spiders in DRW in R38 and 1 hitting FRs with corpse explosion because it was hysterical. It's not a secret. And if people are using it to gain ground in leveling - that's the 1% grind crowd we're talking about now. The devs only nerf what they use because well, to the devs, that's balance. For the rest of us though, that means we don't get to enjoy the nerfed mechanic anymore. Corpse Explosion was already a nut roll to use... Looking at the game from the perspective that it's all about grinding and considering there are no caps - what's the big deal if someone levels to 220? If it's a big deal because the loot obtained is unbalancing the economy... then maybe loot and the economy could use some balancing. If it's only a big deal because people are making it a big deal, the devs shouldn't call it a bug. That's called rolling over, not bug smashing.

Stundorn and 2112Starman like this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I agree with that. I think death is perfectly find up to 95% :)

That top end 5% just exponentially increases and really is only achievable by the 1% still.

What I wouldn't want to see happen is them nurf the 95%.

But people here are still once again pretending that they arnt taking out 10K+ hp boss mobs with it solo.

Stundorn likes this.
  19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I can agree with you on that.

20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You make it sound so easy. I could kill a 10k troll solo with magery (no corpse explo) until a couple of releases ago.....now mages can't do anything.......if you are an archer or melee on the other hand its a different story.

My objection is the constant nurfing of mages in PvE. If it was "lets tone down the damage from high level attunement on Corpse Exlo"....fine.......but no its just another case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Derium and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.