Deathmage God Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derium

Derium Avatar

Like how they use to do each month? Yeah. If they are still only at the point where they haven't gotten skills to work, it seems rushed to go into persistence while still not knowing what to do with skills.

Think about it, we are still at the point they said "Okay, we didn't look at taming before we set the skills. So we killed it off and will take a look at it later". It's been months, they still haven't gotten around to actually making a taming tree. That's development, not persistence, IMHO.

Adjusting skills? Sure, but not even getting started on an entire tree?

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, it wasn't fun then either. Anyway, it's not worth discussing because it won't happen.

Derium and fonsvitae like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm an archer/tamer and with the upcoming changes, I'll probably be keeping the tamer part.

[edit] Also, they made many, many changes to skills after UO was released and for a great many other MMORPGs too. It's the nature of online games that they must be balanced.

Zader and fonsvitae like this.
  4. Derium

Derium Avatar

A balance is fine. I guess this game just feels as if they didn't test things first. If that makes sense. So now they sorta just scramble and over-nerf things to buy themselves time to figure out what to do. Yes, this game is still in alpha, but with persistence it makes it more important. A lot of games wipe the servers after beta. but we are already in a no-wipe situation in Alpha. So our mentality is "the game is playable and what I do will stay with me", so we sink in many more hours than we would in a normal alpha/beta. But to sink in millions of skill points and many many hours of gameplay for a massive change in your "class", sucks.

I wouldn't mind them doing something like making the taming change, if they actually changed things. They took the time to nerf it, but not fix it. The tree makes no sense within itself and even weird broken things like heal pet still gets messed up because it heals players more often it seems.

So they nerfed it, then left it broken. A temp nerf while fixing or reworking it would be something i'd expect from a persistence point of view.

Again, IMHO.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Then don't do it... Feel free to stop and return when the game moves to commercial release.

Barugon, Stundorn and fonsvitae like this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Tbh just feels as soon as players start using a skill set that they find fun (ie interesting and lets them kills stuff) its deemed overpowered and gets nurfed out of existence.

The game is just one massive grind unless you want to play house........there is very little a solo player can actually do other than kill the same mid-range mobs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Is one thing overpowered or is it just that other things are under-powered?

Are there actually any thieves in-game now? Do people spend much time with taming now? will people still use death magic in PvE? that will be No, No and No. Someone please enlighten me how that is a 'fun' trajectory for the game which is already labelled the grind from hell.

7. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

i use death in PVE.. just saying :p lol

CatherineRose likes this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm sure you do and a lot of people do......point is there will be a lot less after the nurf................find me a thief :p

9. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

i hear ya dude i really do, but if these nerfs keep coming im going to give up playing, whats the point of it?

They Nerf something We use A LOT, we find something else, they nerf that too. Literally killing the game and everbodies enthusiasm Along with it. i wish the devs would grow a back bone and stop giving into the Minority of players who feel hard done by

im all for balance and stuff, but when does it end, they will never be happy.

10. Derium

Derium Avatar

I literally sat here for a few minutes trying to figure out if you're possibly that stupid to think that way, or trolling. Unless you typed that sentence with assistance from an adult, I have to assume that's a troll.

Well played, because I actually thought you were being serious for a moment, haha.

*high-fives*

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Unfortunately it isn't. Standard response from the rose-tinted glasses community crew. Criticize the game or development, then you are reminded its still early access and you should come back later......or the game simply isn't for you.

12. Derium

Derium Avatar

Ahhh, I see the errors of my way. I paid $10,000+ out of being excited for this game. They made it persistent because it's developed far enough to be a near completed game. I made several friends and enjoy talking to them in game. The game switches from a sandbox to a Diablo 3 clone.

But yeah, my thought TOTALLY should be "screw my friends, screw $10k, screw the fact this game seemingly is heading into the failure route. Instead of expressing my concerns, I'll just come back in three years, click my heels a few times and I'm SURE I'll have a blast!"

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm not going to argue against you for criticizing the game, I criticize the game myself sometimes... but I would point out the reason they made it persistent is because they felt they would get better testing once it was persistent, since not enough players were willing to grind and rebuild their characters every month or play seriously, and because a lot of players didn't like having to rebuild all their guild and POT stuff every month. So they went persistent for kind of the opposite reasons you're saying. Not because the testing period was over, but because they needed more of it.

14. Derium

Derium Avatar

Then that is a scary thought. "We have to push into a state that we are not prepared for, because not enough people are playing our game". That means desperation, right? I just assumed "hey, it's persistent" means what it normally means, things are up and rocking as expected.

It scares me more, not because of possible desperation. But because of the possible outcome from it. Like a few months ago when you could farm 130k gold an hour in the Tower of the Shuttered Eye. I did it for a bit and farmed about 12mil gold (mainly because it was easy to do and I have a spare computer next to me while I work, but not enough spare time to actually play) and my buddies did too. But we stopped because it wasn't fun. I assumed gold was just that easy to get. Now looking back on it, seeing that was doable for well over a month, I can only imagine the hundreds of million gold a few people are just sitting on. That one thing ALONE could collapse the economy of those people let the gold get out.

Reasons like that are why we need one more wipe before launch.

15. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

I don't think one more wipe before launch is going to happen.
    What about the people who put in hours of their time/money GM-ing their crafting skills, or those who paid real money for prime locations in npc towns? Who's going to compensate them for their time/effort/money?

16. Derium

Derium Avatar

I know it's too late for a wipe now. I might have worded that poorly, I'll restate it as; "this is why there should have been one more wipe before launch". Even if that wipe was simply a character/item wipe. I dunno. It's all irrelevant now.

I guess my main point is since we are persistent and there's no going back. Then our character builds need to also be persistent, not major changes to them basically making you start your character over from scratch.

17. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

The dev team is not making you start your character over from scratch.
    If you read Chris' dev blog post, he made it so that skills recently affected by the dev team can be 100% refunded to get back all the XP put into them for that particular release, if you're not happy with the changes made to that particular skill(s) by the dev team.

Hornpipe likes this.
  18. Derium

Derium Avatar

Ugh, really? Why doesn't it say that when you log in? And how can I find that?

But at the same time, if I log in now and get all my EXP back from taming. It'll suck just as much if in the next 6 months or whatever they finally add taming into the game. Well, add it in a way that it's actually playable. Then I'll have to drop a few mil more points back in.

But you're probably right, getting the points back now, putting it into something good, farming the exp to sink back later is probably the faster route? Wonder if they will let us get all the points back into the temporary builds we have to make while we wait for taming to be fixed.

19. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/chris-daily-work-blog.85584/

Chris' blog post dated 04/12/2017:

"Added all tame skills to the "100% unlearn list" for R41. Those that still do not approve of Taming after my improvements to it will have the option to reclaim almost all the experience they spent on it."

Edit: They're going to buff taming. One of my friends was happy with the upcoming changes to taming.

Hornpipe and Derium like this.
  20. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Back when you could click your skills up to GM and back down to try them out we could really test things (pre use based). Since then they have never given the pre-alpha tester base even remotely the same ability to test and give feedback. Now were in this weird, "hey we will just let you -100% every skill we touch".

The one thing I wish they would have taken more seriously over the years is letting all players increase and decrease skills like we once could to try things out and find issues.

Instead it's up to 6 guys and girls with 50+ GMs.

QA is still a joke unless your finding art based issues. Why the hell cant we yo-yo skills at will in QA?

Why is QA still an elite club?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.