1. All post bodies concerning Shroud of the Avatar player to player transactions or services are limited to this section of the forums. Unwanted solicitation in other sections of the forums or via chat or private message is prohibited, and could result in account restriction or ban. Posting more than once per week within your own thread, "bumping" it to keep it on top, bumping within a week of the first post, and daily replacing a post with a new one is also considered spam and is therefore, prohibited. Bumping is allowed once per week, if the new post contains information that is meaningful to the original thread (i.e. price updates).

Activities that involve real money exchanges between players are not allowed. Account transfers are not supported. Items purchased in the SotA Store, such as Pledge and Bundle Rewards, Add-Ons, Stretch-Goal items, and Player Owned Towns, as well as services that can be immediately fulfilled in-game (such as renting existing in-game property or items) are the only permitted exchanges in the Player Marketplace.

Be sure to include the types of payment accepted in your post [In Game Gold, COTOs/Crowns, or in game item trade]

We will not restrict exchange of goods but we will not officially endorse these exchanges due to liability issues and staffing bandwidth. No in-game or chat based real money exchanges are allowed. Exchanges are at the players own risk and governed by the Terms of Service of whatever third party platform. Catnip Games reserves the right to restrict any activities if they cause widespread issues for our community or if these activities involve exploits of any kind.

Item Prices

Discussion in 'Vendor Locations & Misc Services' started by Jatvardur, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I would like to present my latest efforts: a spreadsheet of prices. I scoured the forums looking for the prices of many popular items and took a note of the thread in which they are posted. The intention is to improve price transparency.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hXv7MLjQRd1BAC-hT3DKZ41Zhp_i2sDXytxBQWltZFY/edit?usp=sharing

What is it?
    • A spreadsheet of publicly available prices of popular items on the forum.
    • Prices are in US dollars.
    • It has 'Sell' prices and 'Buy' prices. Sell prices are WTS: i.e. selling to you. Buy prices are WTB: i.e. buying from you.
    • Reference so you can check the prices in the original threads.
    • I've tried to stick to the threads of larger traders. Generally such traders cover most items and are more likely to be trustworthy.
    • Edited:
    • Added new functionality. I made a duplicate sheet and calculated the prices in gold (igg). It is just a simple multiplication of the dollar price with a known rate of igg to dollars (100k/ $28 -- seemed a reasonable market rate at the time of writing).

What is it not?
    • It isn't perfect. This is perhaps the best solution for improving transparency, but it will never be perfect.
    • It can't be perfectly up to date. Prices may be inaccurate / wrong. Some items may even be duplicated since it is hard to match names sometimes.
    • This sheet can't cover all traders and all trades. It is about trying to balance the information as best as possible.
    • This is not about fixing prices but about making prices easy to find. Prices will still float by the laws of supply and demand.

Why?
    • I think price transparency is important for a healthy market. That's why this spreadsheet needs to be public rather than private.
    • I recently complained about the difficulty of finding prices via the search function. Rather than complain and leave the problem I wanted to make an effort to rectify the issue.
    • Creating this was a lot of effort, but maintaining will be an even bigger effort. I hope that by making this public that the community will help me to keep it updated.

What I need now is help to keep it updated. :)

Proposed reply format:

Item Name
    Price
    WTS / WTB
    Thread link

E.G.

HOB Cabinet
    WTS
    http://www.....

Don't add any formatting as i want to be able to quickly copy and paste the text. Don't bother with dollar signs either. Simple is best. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    By Tor, StarLord, Spoon and 8 others like this.
  2. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

This must have taken a great deal of hard work - thanks very much, Jat!

Jatvardur likes this.
  3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

That $20 CoV investment sure pays off.

Jatvardur likes this.
  4. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Thank you! Yes, it was quite an effort over a few days. The value of the "completed" work makes it worthwhile though. Obviously there is still a lot of items to add. I will probably do that bit by bit but would gladly accept any help that folks can offer.

I have another idea I'm brewing to help improve the marketplace too. Keep your eyes peeled. :)

Barnabas Root likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ouch, that is so much hard work.
    Big thumbs up for this.

I really think that this bit is key: "I've tried to stick to the threads of larger traders. Generally such traders cover most items and are more likely to be trustworthy."
    That makes the task feasible and the outcome less shaky.

Maybe just identifying those traders would make it more robust?

Jatvardur likes this.
  6. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Holy beejeebers the amount of work this must have taken. Thank you.

Jatvardur likes this.
  7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Haha, yep.

Obviously I should share my PayPal address for donations. :p

Frederick Glasgow likes this.
  8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Glad you approve.

Yes, absolutely. Identifying the key traders is an important part of building trust and in creating certainty that the prices posted are representative.

Key traders also help provide "liquidity": they buy and sell in a large number of trades and hence help the process of finding a seller / buyer.

As an example, Cristiano Kimberlin has many items for sale and has been around for a while now. So his selection is good and prices are in line with the market. Given his publicly available feedback I'd be inclined to rate him as a top tier trader. Hence it isn't a surprise that his prices feature heavily in my spreadsheet.

My next step is identify and publish a list of the main traders on the forum.

Edited:

Added new functionality to the spreadsheet. I made a duplicate sheet and calculated the prices in gold (igg). It is just a simple multiplication of the dollar price with a known rate of igg to dollars (100k/ $28 seemed a reasonable market rate at the time of writing).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.