Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fish for Private Fleta

Discussion in 'Release 41 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Fionwyn Wyldemane, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I had a chance to play a bit after QA opened and I went to the Solace Outskirts area.

One of the quests is to get fish for Fleta. Great, the journal provides some direction about fishing in any large body of water, but there is no mention of needing bait.

Near Fleta are clay deposits that only give worms...no clay.

It would be helpful for new players to have some direction in the quest journal about mining clay nodes for worms.

As a PS - I found it a bit bizarre to mine node after node of clay and *only* get worms. So bizarre in fact that I posted a bug report. Apparently this is by design? If it is, to *never* get any clay would be like chopping a tree and never getting wood...LOL!

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ild-483-mining-clay-nodes-yields-worms.86833/

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh this is important. Fishing is a bit confusing to do. Several people have asked how to do it ;) and since there were changes since some of us first got it going there was even more confusion from just dragging your pole to the hotbar and now that doesnt work anymore ;) Good find :)

3. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

So I was rereading all the dialogue from Fleta and she does advise that you need bait to fish and to search the clay nodes for worms when you ask her for *tips*.

So perhaps putting the info in the journal isn't as necessary as I first thought. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Good feedback. Making a note for myself to update her conversation.
    Clay nodes should give at least one "something." Normally, it's typically clay but sometimes worms. In Solace Bridge Outskirts, we put in special clay nodes that flip it so players get at least 1 worm, but sometimes more. I'll poke into the numbers to see if your experience of getting only worms was a mistake or just a long string of bad luck.

Time Lord and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  5. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

@Sannio thanks for the comments :)

I was looking for information in the Journal - trying to view things from a new player perspective - but didn't see anything there. I went back to the quest, talked with Fleta again and did find the *tip* about bait/clay nodes within the conversation itself. From my post above:

"So I was rereading all the dialogue from Fleta and she does advise that you need bait to fish and to search the clay nodes for worms when you ask her for *tips*.

So perhaps putting the info in the journal isn't as necessary as I first thought."

I'd hate for you to waste precious time on this when I admit adding something to the journal might be duplicating effort. I know we don't want to handhold players too much, but the new outskirts areas are a great place to have some tutorial type hand holding going on. It's a tough call and a tougher balance, so I leave it to you to make any or no adjustments :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I was just trying it, having never fished before. First of all, I was confused by the circle color thing with fishing, and after checking the "instructions", found out I was doing it right but simply hadn't found an acceptable spot along the shore.

I fished about 20 times, with chances ranging from 35 to 65, and I was never successful in getting a fish.

The clay deposits have a percentage chance each for worms and clay blocks, and can even result in no loot!There is no other way in that scene to get worms.

So here are the problems that I have seen:
    - it's not obvious how fishing works, even after you read the instructions file and know to drag the glyph to your skill bar. I even had to look around to find a glyph to drag, and found it in the K window. It's still not obvious that you should even be able to drag the glyphs from the skills tree window.
    - Fishing apparently has a stunningly low chance of success, much lower than the percentage that shows over the progress bar. If my experience was any indication, new players will be as stumped as I was as to why I never caught anything.
    - The clay nodes need to fixed such that you always get something. It might be less than trivial if this is default clay node behavior, but at least in this scene, they should always result in at least one worm.
    - An NPC vendor needs to sell worms. There simply aren't enough clay nodes, even with one player in the scene. I was surprised that the crafting supplies vendor didn't sell them! The blacksmith doesn't sell them either.

uhop, Time Lord and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

So I just checked my inventory, and there were 3 salmon and 3 bass in there.

Somehow I successfully caught 6 fish but I guess I missed the (presumed) momentary flash of success just before the progress bar went away. I was expecting a loot window, or at least something a little more obvious than the progress bar text. This might be something else to consider about the new player experience.

No, wait, it was in my chat log. But I had it filtered.

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It seems that the alchemist sells worms, but he's a bit inconvenient for new players to discover.

9. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

We found the problem with clay in Solace Bridge Outskirts sometimes giving no loot. I think the fix will be in with the next update. (You'll always get at least 1 worm from Solace Bridge Outskirts clay.)

Time Lord and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.