Since the Combat Survey is Over, Will We Be Able to View the Results?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

@Berek, I am very interested in seeing the results of the survey Chris posted the other day. I know many people that have not posted in a long time responded to that thread and where very happy with Chris's decision to ask us our feelings. This gave some of us renewed hope that they might be considering some changes in the future by asking for feedback. Please consider posting the results.

smack, Snikorts, Arc and 15 others like this.
  2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Great timing, he was just talking about it this morning! Will ask...

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Thank you very much!

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

My sincere hope is that the survey was not just done by a few people, and that it was able to provide enough diversity and contribution from a large amount of the community to get a good feel for what the poll was intended for.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes I agree :) . I was hoping it would get emailed out and put out there for a couple weeks.

6. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'd love to see the results myself. I'm surprised the poll was closed so soon. I'd like to see every backer who wants to participate in it throw their .02 in about combat so we know where we all stand on it.

7. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

This was just the first poll to confirm we're on the same page with the players. We will be doing more polls during R42 with more specifics and sent to a wider audience. There were about 370 entries and about 40 of those were people taking the poll more than once. *SHAME*Rings Bell*SHAME*Rings Bell*

I can give you the quick summary of the results.

• Players don't think our current creatures are interesting to fight. Known and trying to make more time to improve this.
    • Players think our animations are not very fluid. In our animator's defense, this is really more of a code/design problem than his fault and I think we all agree.
    • Players are super polarized on random deck system with a very slight negative bias. Where as most results were humps with the middle in the 3-4 range, this one was largely a U shape with lots of 1's and 5's. This was really just a confirmation of what I already knew and will be trying to address. This does not mean decks will be going away. It means we will be looking to update locked decks to be more compelling and more competitive with decks since that is the real problem. Players feel they must play with a system they don't like to be competitive.
    • The people who filled out the forms are largely online players. I expect this to skew more towards story players if we send a poll out to the email list vs post it in the forums.
    • One of the ones I was surprised by was that most people feel combat is plenty fast already
    • The other really shocking stat was a slightly higher percentage of players have played Skyrim than UO! My best guess on that one is that Skyrim captured both the Ultima and Ultima Online audience. UO and Skyrim were the most liked combat systems.
    • Players largely don't feel gear adds too much power but more do have concerns with leveling/grinding power results. Already working to address this...
    I think the best information came from the paragraph answer sections. Tons of good feedback.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Thank you very much for replying to this @Chris . I look forward to future polls.

9. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Im very surprised that generally people like the targeting system, makes me wonder how many people actually play in a party these days?

10. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

So if this is a design problem are we still in time to fix/refactor this? I'm one of those complaining and i thought precisely this was no animator's fault!

11. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

@Chris, I know I'm concerned with the targeting system and it didn't show up in your results?

12. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

It's super polarizing and skews to the negative with few people feeling in the middle about it. And that's of the people who actually came back to do this survey who haven't already left because of the combat system.

The solution? Maintain two similar but different combat systems! Because that's what an indie level game needs... extra drains on it's resources! I would actually have more respect if you just doubled down on the deck system at this point. It's the wrong decision, but at least I could fool myself into thinking you actually believe in it.

You have to keep cutting it back, offering options, puffing up those options, letting it divide your player base and be a lightning rod for arguments. Do you know why I'm here again? Because people dislike this system so much they're willing to contact me even though I haven't cared about this game in over a year hoping I'll come back and fight you guys about this again.

What does that tell you?

What would you actually need to drop the system? The forums are your fan base, and they're leaning against it (and always have been), but you want to hold on to it. Then quit talking about how it could be great, and make it great, or accept that it won't and do something better.

I'm not going to fight you on it anymore. But thought you should know that years later I'm literally still summoned by people hoping someone will knock this system over once and for all.

foobarto, Nikko, Snikorts and 17 others like this.
  13. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

@Chris Wow, thank you very much for having the integrity to post the results including the actual number of respondents. Whether a person agrees with every result or not, the fact that you posted the results information is exactly the type of honest transparency that we need in order to better understand the why's and how's of what you do. +1 to you in my book, not something easy to accomplish.

Nikko, hroth, Tracker and 11 others like this.
  14. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

@Chris and yeah, what he said too!

15. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

What survey? Oh, well.

16. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

vote early, vote often.

I think as far as the deck feedback it would be more interesting to see what the % of mages who like to are ok with the system vs say Melee.

My issue (as I said) was that when you are playing a constantly repositioning build like swords you don't have fingers free to combo/stack and are generally having to pay much more attention to where your character is than what your deck is doing.

Cliquet, Womby, Alana Baran and 5 others like this.
  17. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

I'm confused - where did he say they were going to drop the deck system? I'm pretty new, so I myself am still learning the deck system - but it sounds to me as though they are trying to make the locked deck build more viable, for those who prefer to play with all locked slots? I mean, I'm not sure, it just sounds to me as though he will be trying to tweak and streamline both ways. I hope so, anyway ...

18. digriz

digriz Avatar

I don't see how a 48 hour poll with limited visibility and 300 people and 40 doing it twice, is a valid sample size. But ce la vie.

Snikorts, Dantuin, Mykll and 5 others like this.
  19. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I suspect the fact that he knows they were duplicates means they didn't count for the metric

Ravicus Domdred and fonsvitae like this.
  20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

His comments all come from a time when card combat was first proposed.. and the majority of backers were against it. Most of us didn't want a mmo locked deck and didn't want randomized skills. Freeman, along with many other backers, came up with alternatives to that combat. Still, card combat and locked skills moved forward.

We continued to complain and asked for a poll years ago. To my knowledge, this was the first one done. Glad to see it, but hopefully it's not too little, too late.

A lot of backers sold their accounts due to combat and now we're seeing extremely negative feedback from new players during the free trial periods.

So, this is an old argument from some kickstarter backers who wonder what could have been if things would have been changed those many years ago.

Nikko, Ice Queen, Snikorts and 19 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.