Since the Combat Survey is Over, Will We Be Able to View the Results?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes next poll one per backer. This was really important to hear feedback and ideas from backers without dealing with bickering back and forth and off topic randomized comments which I'm guilty sometimes. It was a good way to achieve this.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Ravicus Domdred and Hornpipe like this.
  2. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Ah okay, thanks By Tor -- way before my time :). Gives perspective though ...

Edit: Just to add - I played in the recent free trial and liked it enough to buy in and stay -- even though some say this is the worst time in the cycle for new players. I do like the deck system -- although I'm still learning to use it - there's a bit of a learning curve. I'm willing to try new things and this does set SotA apart from the other mmo's. I can definitely understand that some may want more conventional combat though.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  3. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Heh. I guess I missed the poll. Where was it posted?

foobarto, Snikorts, Dhanan and 3 others like this.
  4. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

5. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Ah thanks. I'll just wait for the next poll to help out with feedback then.

Ravicus Domdred, 3devious and By Tor like this.
  6. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Yea, a 1/backer poll and at log in preferably should do just fine.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe it also shows how popular single-player games with a great story, a simulated world and great quests with real consequences are. Not everything revolves around MMORPGs, imho. Not anymore at least.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Doubt you or i will like the results ;-)
    But would be nice to see anyway.

9. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I'd like to celebrate the decision of posting this poll as well, it feels good to be consulted. And even better to see a summary of opinions.

I think the views around the random deck system are so extremist because the changes made to the system to make it more likeable are minimum. The topic is polarized from the start, because "how much do you like the random deck system" is actually perceived as "what do you prefer, random deck or full locked?". I'd love to see changes made to system as a whole, so random and locked are perceived as parts of a whole instead of two separate ways of playing.

I must say i'm surprised that people thinks gear doesn't add too much power, though. When you can almost duplicate your main stat value simply by getting average gear (at least boosting it by 50% if you're close to the top) i think that's a considerable power up, and that's without accounting the rest of bonuses you can get...

Snikorts, Mykll, By Tor and 3 others like this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Or it's a strong indication that the same people repeat the same complaints over and over again on this forum.

11. dopedwizard

dopedwizard Avatar

I thought the option to opt for the Guild Wars 1 System was missing (a lot different than GW2). Always liked how they handled obtaining spells and building decks.

Mykll and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You could have put that in your comments. Believe me I felt bad for Chris since I wrote so much. ;)

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  13. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

@Chris
    In the next poll, can you ask for adv level? I think it would be helpful to know what content these people are facing, when they comment gear does not effect much...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  14. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

love the deck system, if I wanted a normal locked bar i could play any of the gazillion other mmorpg out there. Thanks Portalarium for striving to be different!

15. melonjelly

melonjelly Avatar

I am very glad a poll was taken at all. It's a shame about the duplicates. I use a very popular VPN service, so I would be quite unhappy if my poll form was discarded because another person also shared a similar IP address. However, I greatly appreciate that our feedback was requested and is being taken seriously.

I am completely unsurprised about the polar bias with the random deck system. As someone that has been following SotA since it appeared, I initially did not back it and dropped complete interest in the project because of the proposed random deck system. However, I saw a live stream of someone playing with a fixed deck and immediately bought early access, thinking my woes had been address. It was a shame to find out how heavily the fixed deck system was penalized (random deck bypass cooldowns + combination cards), and I have to say I have no love for the random deck system save for that the idea itself is very creative at the very least.

I am also completely unsurprised to find out that backers sold their accounts because of the random deck system, and as a newcomer my feedback is certainly against the random deck system after fiddling with it for several days. I can appreciate the ingenuity of it, objectively, but I do not wish to facilitate an argument on the forums about it via my post.

I have very mixed feelings about the developers trying to juggle the random deck and fixed deck systems as it would be more efficient (and easier to balance) focusing on one or the other.

To me it is a shame that the poll was not more widely advertised. It would have been certainly invaluable to have had past players give their opinions as to why they left or no longer play. The poll at the present really only has reached current backers, many who are or were happy enough to invest no telling how much money into the project as it is (and likely satisfied also with the state of things.)

16. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Oh, people did not like the targeting system either. I didn't have a question on it but they let me hear about it in the comments.

Snikorts, Peabo, Womby and 8 others like this.
  17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Its nice to be able to get a pulse- and in reguards to taking the poll twice my wife wanted to take it also. So yes you might have seen it was done twice but they were done by two individuals. If you are able to compair my two ull see they have a very diffrent perspective. (Wife is a socialite) ;)

Snikorts, Ravicus Domdred and Mykll like this.
  18. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Here's the problem, some people don't like the card system. Some do. It is split almost 50/50. If some want it and some don't, we're not going to rip the system away from people who want it. There is no reason you should want to remove it from them. What you should be asking for is an alternative that is more closely matched in power but doesn't require taking your eyes off combat. THAT is what I'll be working on in the next few releases. Demanding I take away a feature that you don't like but don't have to use is just pointless especially when 60.9% gave it a neutral to positive rating.

Based on the feedback I'll be making a post of what my priorities are in the coming months but spending time to remove a system that almost a quarter of the respondents listed as their favorite feature is NOT one of those priorities. Expanding play style options and balancing power for those who want to not look at their bar is one of those priorities.

Nikko, Innascual Inch, Womby and 14 others like this.
  19. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

@Chris I just realized one of the small things that can alleviate a lot of combat problems. Where mobs decide to stand and fight you. Right now it is not just toe to toe, but basically on your toes and their elbows swing into you (just animation). This is the reason first person melee combat is impossible. It also gives me a headache in 3rd person, but that is usually the camera bobbing into and out of the back of my avatar's head.
    So as a small fix, can you check this?
    1. Personal space - have the AI take a 2' step back when engaging melee to allow for weapons to be effective. With proper physics these close fights would have tangled swings.
    2. Please just give an answer why we cannot have translucent/transparent avatar heads when the camera is "forced to zoom" because of clipping zones from behind as you turn.

Thank you.

20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ill admit I HATED the card combat system and I fear it when combos expand but now that I know how to dumb it down where I dont have to look it does not grind on me any more.

Ravicus Domdred, 3devious and By Tor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.