Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Focus in R41

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Almar, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almar

Almar Avatar

I don't understand why you give us something in one patch only to take it away in another.

I had focus issues a few patches ago, I grumbled about it on here and a few players told me I should be eating buff foods before I hunt.

So, I level cooking, and start using foods like Bear Steak and Potatoes and Wolf Surprise to buff myself. With the addition of shrine buffs in R40 I also get Honour and Sacrifice buffs now, so I have lots on incombat regen.

Excellent!

Until R41 - where the regen is all taken away again despite my multiple buffs.

Today, while hunting Obsidian Wolves for ingredients for Wolf Surprise, I am constantly out of focus. I fight a wolf, another one joins in when the original one is nearly dead, add another at the same time.... and another. I'm OOF and pumping potions, just so I have the chance to skin what I've killed.

In R40 I could manage this drawn out fight with a bit of focus to spare and no focus pots consumed.

I am as geared up as I can afford and level compliant for that zone. I have dex+ artis to ensure I hit more often.

My grumble here - yes, I'm getting to it - is that why bother giving us shrine buffs if they are so overpowered (in your opinion, I'm presuming) that you have to do something to remove their effect in the next patch?

One step forward, two back.

Where's the fun?

Gurney2, Stahlknecht, Solazur and 6 others like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

:D

Solazur likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Obsidian wolves seem to be a lot harder to kill in R41.

Chatele and Almar like this.
  4. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Your magic skills have been nerfed. It now takes longer to kill stuff and you need to spend more focus. Level archery or melee and use magic on the side.

5. Almar

Almar Avatar

I'm blades and heavy plate, no magic worth mentioning.

Edit: Anyway - what's the point in cookie cutter builds where we all are the same?

I'm going to stick with my build and hope the game swerves back towards some balance. I know this is kinda Beta still and the longer destination is ahead of us.

I just don't understand the Agile reasonings for the apparent buff/debuff.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Solazur, Stundorn and Chatele like this.
  6. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Hybrid is the way to go. You need to level everything now. So far they have just been nerfing builds that worked instead of buffing the stuff that didnt work. They create group content by nerfing your char instead of creating good group content.

Chatele and discipleofweb like this.
  7. Almar

Almar Avatar

You could be right! I'll stay optimistic for now though even if I don't understand the reasoning. It seems to be odd numbered releases that are the negative ones....

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

For now, try to stack up the identical glyph to reduce the focus cost. It seems like there are some changes that affect the overall defense/resist stats on some mobs, which make them much harder to kill.

Stundorn and Almar like this.
  9. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

They only looked at focus regen for characters with skills in the 40 - 80 range.

The Devs should look at either focus regen or focus costs for skills, especially for skills above 80.

Skyo, Chatele and Almar like this.
  10. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Actually if we still use that terminology we are still in alpha. would hit beta when feature complete which we aren't yet :)

Sentinel2, Stundorn and Almar like this.
  11. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I agree focus seems to drain quicker in R41 and don't think i't simply fights taking longer.

Shade Cido and uziraff like this.
  12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

That's not true. A lot of my skills is use are 80+ and I seem to be running out of mana a lot more often now. It doesn't seem to be because creatures take longer to kill either. I think they are trying to avoid having everyone running around casting and never running out of focus. This will make people more cautious about what spells they are casting and people will try to stack glyphs rather than fire off single spells. Also, I think they are trying to make sure foods and potions are being utilized, thus ensuring there is a market for foods/potions.

fonsvitae and Stundorn like this.
  13. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I agree, I am pure archer, for now any way, and my focus drains a lot faster. I have been looking at my skills to see what I need to up, to get more focus. But I have all the skills that I can find for focus up to lvl 80-90 already, including Intelligence. Killing 1 Obsidian bear nearly drains me, when another attacks I have to run to where its safe to regen, I eat food, and have focus potions ... the focus drain is really too much, could be increased or have it regen a little faster in combat.... at adventure lvl 88 it's getting tougher, my skills take a lot of focus.....

Almar likes this.
  14. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

The Honor blessing seems to help with the focus issue. Also have Inner Calm (Focus tree) up to 75 to reduce focus costs.

Duke Gréagóir and Stundorn like this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

One solution to using too much focus:
    Stack more . ;)

Almar, fonsvitae and Stundorn like this.
  16. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

Using a ton of focus as damage resistance, avoidance, Parry and mobs dodging massive damage reduction. Taking allot more focus to do the same thing.

Almar likes this.
  17. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

I agree w/ both of you and, though I at first didn't like the changes, I have come to be glad about them. I was coasting on a more or less easy street (I had focus for days) and these changes bring me back to how it was when starting out; it is not so bad that one cannot survive, but it is difficult enough that one does have to be in constant awareness of the resources at hand and how best to use them.

In this context, small, beneficial increments are more meaningful, there is a sense of real accomplishment and group play has an even greater incentive. This level of difficulty feels to me like an Ultima should.

Sorthious and FrostII like this.
  18. Almar

Almar Avatar

I've been keeping check of focus today, I'm not sure about it draining faster, but it's certainly much slower to regenerate - even out of combat.

Edit: My inner calm is at 80.

19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

What happened was we now lose the stillness bonus when we get hit. When at full stillness, its a 25% reduction in focus cost. Once I was in position, I would try not to move to maintain the stillness bonus. Now that we get hit and lose it, its almost a pointless thing, unless your in a party and someone else is taking the agro. I as well have to watch my focus now, thankfully I am a death mage and can use tap soul for good focus regen.

20. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

As as meele fighter I am always moving in combat so this is not the cause for me.

The point of this thread, is that will all things being equal (including stacking, having two food buffs and devotional buff), focus is considerably more a limiting factor in R41 than it was before.

Almar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.