Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

XP Loss on Death!

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Wolfers, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

This is one of the reasons decay is also bad. It will prevent players from exploring the world fearing that they will lose xp in new zones that they are not familiar with.

2. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

I also think that the penalty is a bit much. I didn't mind the 12 hour decay. But now that's its doubled losing 1 mil + exp a death for me is a bit to much. If you really look at how much exp it takes to get higher then 100 the exp starts to add up 10% more each level. Soon you will need 30 then 40 mil to level.. Then you think about where you would dump the exp to skills. Then you realize the diminishing returns on skills taking them past 100. If you look at some skills at GM it only goes up 1-5 dmg at 120. For about 14 million exp dumped into a skill to take it from 100 to 120 just doesn't seem worth it with the added extra decay and the diminished added dmg.. Dumping almost 6 times the amount of exp to take a skill to level 120 to only get such a low % increase in dmg seems flawed! I guess that's when people realize that we do have a CAP.

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I actually went knowingly to my death. Dragon business. I was curious what my 24hr decay was. Now I know its about 30 min of play time.

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'm not sure the decay mechanic is a problem. It's a soft cap so it seems like it's working as intended. You can always drop levels and experience to lower your decay. What level are you mike? I don't think they're done at 24 hours either.

I've been hovering around level 99 for a reason. I want to see how this plays out, because I have a feeling some people will choose to dump a lot of experience instead of having to pay such a heavy price.

Stundorn likes this.
  5. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I think something like this, where you get a DEBUFF for a set time, in combination with maybe a small hit to your pooled XP would be much better and less punitive.

I think everyone resoundingly agrees that it hampers gameplay. Heck, it hampered some RP I was doing where I was asking people to die for me. <crickets> That's all I got <crickets>.

Vox Aquila and Chatele like this.
  6. Engel

Engel Avatar

We are here for fun to explore to die .. and with the penalty we play in secure zone for a good part of us ! The decay of armors and weapons is already limit for me . We dont need more penalty please .
    Fun Fun Fun !!!

Let me die in peace :)

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol you can earn it back so fast in this game. Do you remember Vanguard Saga of Heros, now that hurt? The amount of experience you lost at each death was rough. You totally did not want to die in that game. Not that I'm not sympathetic for your time and pain, of course I have sympathy, but this is not all there is to this game. They are just working it all out.

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

48 at the moment with my healing at 110s.

Grimbone likes this.
  9. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

I'm prob the highest level in the game... Once people realize that it doesn't really matter once you get past a certain point. looking at level 80's in skills isn't much better then GM in the skill... Sure every 10 levels in a skill adds 1 attunement or so depending how many skills are in each tree.. But it really doesn't matter all that much considering the diminishing returns on the skills and dmg output ... I would love to see a way to make it so its reversed, that it makes it so if you level a skill passed a 100 it scales better... It's such a small dmg increase from 80- 100 and even so after 100 for the the amount of crazy EXP it takes... Why not reverse the formula to make it taking spells higher yield more dmg? Taking the penalty from "DECAY" making it a bit of risk and reward... Why punish the hardcore or semi hardcore player who wants to put in the hours of work to make them a bit better then the rest? I mean cmon... That would make people want to play the game more and grind and focus into a certain Path! I can go onto much more about boss resistances and all and how it should have resistances for certain spells like a fire dragon being resistant again fire, go fugure.. But not resistant against water spells... All i know is that they have slowed down progression for everyone who wants to play and enjoy the game.. As i see it, it's been hurting the game as a whole. To control points to even 5 skull zones.. It seems like they just want to halt exp until they finish the game.

This just punishes guilds and players all alike. I have seen the decline in my own friends and guild mates alike! They want to play the Cat and Mouse game. Who does it hurt?... The lower levels and casual players! In the end with the current way skills progress it take sooo much time and effort, even with the old control points or the unresistant bosses and such. It gets to point it doesn't matter, the exp curve it takes and the lack of dmg increase for taking a tree to a higher skill points is nothing. Just calculate how long it would take "the wanted exp the devs" want you to earn an hour (500k exp) and take that as an example. At my calculation getting to 200 would take you 100+ years at 1 mil an hour. Sooo People cry for a Cap?... Or even want this decay! I say at the end of the day.. They have no need for decay cause it doesn't even matter.... Sigh..

Chatele and GoldDraco72 like this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

And therefore I dont know why they have a bonus.
    Because of pve is more risky wheñ flagged PvP?, then I ask why most PvPers want to be not attackable by non flagged instantly.

All this feels artificially constructed to me.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Lost 50k while figuring out how meteor shower can help me killing this or that , at least I paid xp for more knowledge of what works and what not.

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Played that and loved it as much as SotA , remember /rope or /pull tombstone or what it was ?
    I pulled a whole partys tombstones out our the Ant Queens Dungeon , bit by bit to return them. Airwalked with my Bards Songs and immersed ... We made the way to the Ant queen and she was despawned , logged out the whole Party and re checked every hour . I got a call at 04 p.m. and we made it , that was fun because this boss was really challenging to us at that time.
    Anyway , you could loose 2 Adventure levels dying. I loved it!

If highlevels can solo dragons and the demon , maybe the clockwork dragon too, when they loose hundred of thousands of XP but can reclaim it in less than 1, 2,3,4,5 hours the game is too easy , there is not enough of a soft cap at all!

13. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Wrong, Mike said it best!

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@mikedeathdealer I guess understand very well what you said, but that lays the measure for future high-level content a bit to far away for normal and casual players .

I tend to go for 80 in everything and then pick some specials for me to GM. I would like to be able to then be competetive as an authentic , specialized RP character.
    I may then specialize further and GM a whole tree, this will take me a lot of time i guess.

I'm afraid of powergaming destroys the measures and divided players to far away from each other about their strength and capability of playing the game.

Therefore I want decay more harsh the higher some one levels. It need too hurt you so hard that it fits what I already quoted by Chris.

I quote again, because they maybe need to adjust it in this direction more and more as when people move the measures allways further over the edge.

Hope I'm understandable, don't know how to formulate it better in English.

15. Wolfers

Wolfers Avatar

ehm... are you sure? Because this is the solution.. if i flag PvP I don't lose exp :p

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hehe, just for a PvP death caused by a p!ayer, not dying from a mob/pve :rolleyes:

17. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

For me, its quite the opposite.
    Where is the fun without any risk?

18. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

Yep! you are right.. decay of armours and weapons is a spike in ass .. .. maybe just increase these damages when a player die... but don't touch the pool!

Engel and Lord Baldrith like this.
  19. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

They have already discussed the decay rate going higher and adding crafting decay rate can't wait to hear about that. Really the loss just means you have to be more careful and maybe pool some extra exp each week for the possible deaths. I do guild events where I know I am likely going to die while having fun. It's no big deal. I just plan ahead and pool the needed exp for the death. You spend around 10% of your time working off possible deaths. Sometimes you get lucky and have none other times several meh.

Veronique of Lowlands likes this.
  20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I am thinking there are a few things speaking against this "hard" decay system, like discussed in this thread or here:

If you should accidently fall:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...pool-penality-when-falling.85284/#post-788095
    If you are a casual player:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...iscussion-about-chris-daily-blog.85583/page-2

I am with the dev. that death should be meaningful.

I wrote in a few Threads about.
    I think Gatsu, Wolfers and others made good suggestions to change it to a bit more (casual!?) player friendly.

Well, more thoughts of mine:
    Player could have a choice after death: loose them or serve for get them returned.
    Why not entering Necropolis after death and have to fulfill some quests to remain the XP loss? :)
    Could also be a combat with a high lvl beast - you have to do it in a given time ...

Another thing could be a teleport
    to an isle and you have to find your way back to your corpse -in a given time(!)- to receive all XP or a part. Well, the time could count down and with it the lost XP pool ...
    A perfect(!) way to learn all places in Novia well :)

Could also be a teleport to (as I mentioned in another thread) the isle of Chaos - where everything can happen ...
    May be you have to dance the Starrlton for half an hour to be free ;)

Or a teleport in a PVP zone and you have to slay one to come back *lol* (take it as a joke, @DarkStarr: it was a JOKE - really!!!!)
    (I wouldn't choose this, because who knows when someone comes over? ;) Nothing at all, I don't like to ambush other persons from Earth for fun or for receiving back "my" life on cost of another ...)

So far - I am under 90 - I am a casual player. And yes: I don't have much interest (aside from quests) to explore dangerous places to loose a high amount of XP "just for fun".
    It isn't fun at all leaving game after 1 or 2 hours with (nearly) nothing :(

Another suggestion of me was:
    Why not loosing the same amount of XP I earned with the last (few?) high lvl beasts - based on my lvl?

What about this:
    After 1st death:
    You will earn 50% of XP as normal from your beaten enemies for 2 (or may be 4 hour(s)?)
    If you die again within this hour(s) you will loose again 50% of 50% ...
    And so on.

The cutted % will raise every minute linear and after the 2 or 4 hours it is back at 100%.

This would be a meaningful thing if someone dies (a lot), but not taking the fun and whole risk to go further ...

Both of the suggestions could be used:
    1. buying back the pool decay by doing something
    2. receiving less XP next few hours.

And what I think would be FAIR: If someone in a PARTY dies,
    ALL Partymembers should receive a XP loss (sure, just more less! May be the given +XP for THIS Partymember will go down to 50% ...)
    Why should the one who die in a party take the whole loss of decay, if he is helping bringing the beast to fall? Everyone could have the same risk ...
    Often the really good players keep the dangerous part and die - for the others - should they be punished for?

I hope for a meaningful solution, not just a mathematical one :)

uhop likes this.
  21. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

That is chris talking about SKILL level. This is not the same thing directly since your death loss is based on Adv. Level...

...WHICH is based on total xp earned, not your number of skills, gm'd etc.
    You could never assign skills and be high level because you are killing things/exploring and its going into your pool.

SO....there is NO WAY TO STOP that clock. You can't stop earning xp, unless you just never leave town. Yea some may be slower to get there then others of us. But with the current system eventually EVERYONE will be punished with these insane death penalties. This is why I dont just jump into random fights with friends somtimes or go exploring in certain places where you are certainly going to fall or die all the time, yadda yadda. Its just silly. This NEEDS to change IMHO. You are punishing try hards now, but you will be punishing everyone one day. And this is going to make no one want to risk anything except the ppl that have more time to sit in low level areas and boost the xp pool up into the 10's of millions. Aka, most pain to casual players NOT the tryhards (me included).

@Chris .. yes/no?

22. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

look... I get hit by the same thing...

I think this was done to:
    A) stop people from soloing places like the Rise and not get punished on death.
    B) stop people from amazing massive pools and then leveling skills to GM ridiculously fast

I can see it having the following affects:
    Promotes partying
    More True Healer
    True Tanks
    Makes the multi-deathing less palatable (I see a lot of groups do this)

I mean it sucks... but yeah... the way I see people EXP farming then leveling one skill with little to no consequence when they die.... probably triggered this.

Simple solution: Play smarter and don't die, as often. Death should feel like a penalty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.