The SOTA special sauce

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Audacity, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

True to our name, Moongate Travelers recently took a little trip to Austin. We had folks come from as far away as Canada to hang out. While we were there, we had the opportunity to visit the Portalarium studios. I cannot express the amount of genuine hospitality we were greated with. I think sometimes in our passion to advocate for the best possible game, we forget what a unique thing it is to have so much access and transparency into the game design and those working hard to produce it.

But more than that, equally important is this amazing community of players that we have. Of course I already knew how terrific my guildmates are, but getting to meet them in person as well as some Austin area SOTA players just reinforced how completely cool this community is.

Like any game, especially during the balancing process, we have times where we don't agree or get frustrated with changes or when our favorite things feel like they are being neglected (pvp love please) but I know this project will be super successful because we have the secret sauce! A dev team and a community working together and equally passionate about the vision for Shroud of the Avatar.

If you are interested in checking out some photos of the weekend, pop over here. https://goo.gl/photos/gD7feHJWVtKZRAQX7

Thanks so much to @Lord British for taking time to share the history with us and greet us with such a warn welcome, to @DarkStarr and @Chris for the open ear and willingness to always listen, to @Scottie for the amazing stories over lunch and dinner!, to @Vas Corp Por for hanging out with us at the movies (and letting me get a selfie with my fav pvp world builder #starstruck), to all the others who took time out of a busy work day to share their work with us, and to @Berek for coordinating everything. Very special thanks to @Attenwood... he knows why :heart:

Thanks also to @Winfield and @Jack SinAssist for coming out to hang with us! We had a blast.

PS Totes should have gotten Vas Corp Por to sign my arm or something...
    [​IMG]

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

More pics please...
    :D

Edit:
    In the topic since that link is blocked for me from work...

3. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Ok a few pics from the album for @Spoon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Yes, it was worth the trip down from the Great White North. Listening to the history and seeing all the cool 'behind the scenes' stuff was very interesting! I thank you for tolerating our visit :) The game means more to us then 'just a game'...its the home of an awesome community!

You are building not just a world, but also a family ;) Hmm..that may not have come out right....but it's true anyways

firesparx, Almar, Asclepius and 8 others like this.
  5. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Although I was not able to make it this time, I am very appreciative of Port for opening up their day for us. Thanks so much for the love!

firesparx, Almar, Asclepius and 6 others like this.
  6. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Something that really touched me during our visit to meet the Devs is what I suspected: the entire team at Portalarium is very passionate about SotA. Genuinely passionate. I had met and talked with @Lord British last year and his passion was so thick, you could cut it with a dull butter knife. Meeting so many of the team and listening to them really drove it home for me: this isn't a job for them. They care about every single aspect of this world they are creating for us. They truly listen to us and are doing their best to give US a world we want, which is no small feat when you consider how different we all are. I too appreciated them all taking time out of their day and making us feel very welcome. And thanks for the cool swag as well!

I had an absolute blast from the second I was picked up at the airport until I was dropped back off. We had lots of fun activities and lots of downtime to just hang out. I didn't feel like I walked into a house with a bunch of strangers I had to get to know. I felt like I walked into a house of friends to hug. Having been a part of things like this before, I have to say that's a first for me. And thanks for the cool swag you guys brought along too!

I haven't downloaded my pics from the trip yet but I will post a link as well. So fun to look back at the memories we made and anticipating new memories to be made in the future!

As our tagline for our guild says: we travel as one!

7. Thore Gundi

Thore Gundi Avatar

I had a BLAST!!... wonderful, exciting, fabulous,.... . oUTStanding!! .. . Much Love,.. and Thanks for the tour! ... . I second everythin' Aud said!!!!! ..... and some more pics::: I never had a chance to meet up with Lord British,.. but I did get a chance to digitally meet him!! hehehe :::

[​IMG]

I was able to ask Chris ,.. pretty much ALL my questions and he let me know .... the dev side of them..... SUPER COOL!:)

Watching Guardians of the Galaxy with the devs and Winsfield!! was awesome' and Jack was there tooo... . .

.. . :):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:o_O;):):D:D:D:D:D .........

firesparx, Almar, Zader and 9 others like this.
  8. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

Haha there is even a picture of a guy that gets licked by 2 people, this community truly is unique lol

firesparx, Asclepius, Dinsoo and 5 others like this.
  9. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Great pics! Looks like you all had so much fun!
    So many tongues ..... :eek::p:p

firesparx, Asclepius, Dinsoo and 6 others like this.
  10. Zader

Zader Avatar

How fun! Thanks for sharing the pics :)
    Y'all seem like a great group, this community rocks!

firesparx, Asclepius, Dinsoo and 4 others like this.
  11. zeme

zeme Avatar

So proud to be apart of the Moongate Travellers, and play a tiny part in this game :)

firesparx, Asclepius, Dinsoo and 5 others like this.
  12. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

It could be argued that we are a tight slightly disfunctional family...

firesparx, Asclepius, Manerd and 6 others like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG] :D

firesparx, Asclepius, Manerd and 4 others like this.
  14. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

It was an INCREDIBLE pleasure to have the chance to hang out with you fine folks!

Scottie ^_^

Cordelayne, firesparx, Dinsoo and 5 others like this.
  15. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

And @Scottie , I'm sorry I screamed during your story at lunch but it was SCARY! You ARE the best story teller EVER. Your reputation is rock solid.

16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Was great meeting all of you! Looking forward to seeing again who can make it out to SotA Con this Fall.

17. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Hah hah! Glad you liked it! The best scary stories are the ones that are TRUE!

Scottie ^_^

Asclepius, Dinsoo and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.