Time And Effort

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HogwinHD, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

DevilCult Is a new player and he is winning in tier b Pvp. He's around 4 months old. He can beat guys with years under their belts. Why?? He has determination and the best pvp mentors in SOTA.

there are also a few tricks to the trade and not everyone is privy to that info.

2. Duke William of Serenite

With that said if you want to be competitive in pvp join my guild . It won't be easy it will take work but I can get anyone competitive within a few months.

3. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I hear ya.. and I *think* I get ya...but on the other hand (and there always is another side) take for a moment the player that plays RL most of the time....has a job... or kids to take care of...and only has 2 or 3 hours a day. Now lets say they.. for w/e reason play solo a lot.. earning everything themselves... I can tell you what suks there... being in the mid 80's and not being able to earn a half decent living because the loot tables just SUCK. Chris did that nerf a long time ago. and knows it....

I am not the biggest backer....and on that note it staggers my mind to think how much $ some of us have put into backing this game.. but I digress

I have one good friend who has done just an awesome job of earning and advancing in the game with only a basic account and ya know what? I don't begrudge him a thing.. but let keep it in perspective.. not everybody can play 12+ hours a day. Hmm it might be interesting to see data that shows the economy from the standpoint of $ (RL) invested vs loot in game. I'm thinking it's possible a lot of the more casual players have a **** ton of the $ that keeps the ship afloat into this.

But hey.. maybe I'm wrong

@Chris

ps: I too have had the times in my life when I had 16 or more hours a day to play a game...so ya.. I understand how that can be the case. Just for me.. I like now better.. The loot in RL can suck at times... but hey.. great graphics and no lag

Mac2, mass and Boris Mondragon like this.
  4. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

OMG.. rofl... you kill me... hey thanks I really needed that laugh this morning :)

Time Lord and Mac2 like this.
  5. mass

mass Avatar

Then no soup for you!:p

Fister Magee, Mac2 and Solazur like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hejsan Vikingr (Pirate) ;)

No Problems, my build is cool, Ice Cold cool :D And really love to play my mage with the Wisp, Meteor Shower, Shadowwalk, sometimes Lightning or CL for more than 1 Mob, i like kiting with icefield, harvesting with animal charm in my build, just unlocked fortify defenses.

And i'll buy me a HP Omen next week.
    Lag in NPC Cities is too annoying.
    I then will be less on the forum while in the Office :D

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If i would pvp like in the forums you would all be scared :D

devilcult and Boris Mondragon like this.
  8. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Stundorn, I am glad you have a mentor that will help you maximize your skills where you enjoy the game to the maximum. It was not easy for me to ask for help yet I am glad I did and will always praise those that took the most precious resource we have at our disposal called time. "Fair Winds and Following Seas to you". R/Boris/El Pirata

9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Which just goes to reinforce my argument that they can seperate the time bonuse and gap in pvp, and GOOD PvPers would still excell. Which is a good thing.
    Daoc. WoW. GW. UO. Shaiya. League etc etc.. all have players with identical levels and skills, yet have dominent pvp players.
    Thats actually why i LIKE the deck system.
    This doesnt change the fact that currently you need to devote a ton of time to pvp to become effective enough those skills are relevent. Or be power leveled.

And like i said, im fine with time = reward. But the ability to add even scenes that make the game, and pvp more casual friendly is there. And theres ways to implement it without destroying hardcores or people with more time.
    They can quite literally make it best of both worlds.

Pinky2 likes this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I have 900 to 69, but i did a lot of RP in a PoT ;)
    Not as much as it seems to be... :rolleyes:

Xandra7 and mass like this.
  11. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

Don't expect to compete at a high level if you don't want to put in the work. If that word "work/grinding" triggers you, maybe be happy with what you are able to achieve with your play style and eventually you will be able to get to where the other Titans in game have achieved, it just will take more time in days if you can only play a couple to a few hours a day.

For PvP if people keep thinking they have to be top tier to flag for PvP then there will be no lower level PvP. Guess what, average players out number the top players. If all players interested in PvP would just flag and stop being scared of PvP there would be PvP in Novia, but everyone is too scared of the top player "PvP boogie man" to flag. Most top players are not looking to pk any lowbie that they come across. And to be honest most top players don't flag for PvP. They PvP when it's convenient. So there is plenty of room for lower level players to have fun, just gotta get over the fear of that boogie man. Also take advantage of the PvP mechanics in place and flood your inventory to midigate any damage you might suffer from a PvP loss. If that is too much work to manage your inventory and it's too much work to level your character I don't see how this is anyone elses fault that likes to participate in the systems in place.

Please do not nurf the game for those who like a challenge and actual goals that can be achieved and rewarded for their efforts. Now we all are playing this game for different reasons, but there should be a tier of gameplay that is obtained by skill/effort put into play.

We don't need to give everyone participation medals. Yes I know this is a game and it's all for fun. But I find working my way up a ladder of skill and time fun....... I do not find having a low bar of gameplay fun..........

Mac2, Vrunk Hrrk and fonsvitae like this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

PvP

One of the issues happening right now is that the casual hard core player base is starting to catch up to the hard core base when it comes to the actual skills to compete in PvP. I feel that at about adv lvl 95-100 is the point where people are even and skill is #1. The hard core player will still have an advantage in that they can probably run several different radically different builds with GM's that allow them to design a deck against the lower lvl player who is stuck running what they have. But even that lessens.

Im seeing frustrations with the hard core players in that casual hard cores are now rising up to compete with them. They have had it kinda good for a long while, relying on their bulk brute power from skills and now even they need to focus more on actual detailed skill in combat becasue the casual hard core in their specialty is now rolling all GM's in their primary fight and defense skills.

The one thing lagging behind is probably gear which really matters. The casual hard core is just not going to have the gear unless they have some really nice crafters backing them that help out.

For example, Virtue league is starting to even out pretty good, tier B it becoming more and more competitive by more and more people and people are starting to break in a bit to tier a which has traditionally been the lvl 100+ vs lvl 100+ players...

Skill is really starting to matter (vs just brute force skill power) and will so more as time goes on. Its no longer Mr lvl 110 vs Mr lvl 80.

13. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

If a game is too easy, people will not respect it.

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Is levels the key to winning in pvp? For this to be true, the higher level person would win like 95% of the time. Does the higher level person win 95% of the time? No. Have people with 10 or more levels lower then others still beaten the higher level person? Yes. Deck building, knowing your opponents, using the right skills at the right time seems to make more difference then just levels.

Now this whole, I need to grind my butt off to become effective at pvp. Considering most of the people in the game are not 100+, and there are a lot of lower level people pvp flagged, and the tournaments often have different classes for different levels of players, no it does not. Its from people who are comparing themselves to that top 1% of players, and want to be able to kill them, but don't have the time and effort to have the same level of skills, don't want to group up to try and kill them, just use them as the base of this argument to say but I can't win, meanwhile tons of low level people are pvp flagged, fights they could win, even people of equal level they could fight. I see people with 300 hp flagged, are you saying you can't beat a 300hp person who has been playing the game for a few days? I am just sick of hearing this I can't win, I can't compete, because the 20 people they are using as the people they want to beat, and not considering the tons of others players they probably could beat. Most times, those level 100+ players, are not going around zone to zone, finding low level people to pick on. Would it be possible to get some names of the players who you are talking about as who it is you are trying to compete with but cant? I also am curious as to what the average level of all the players in sota is.

15. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thats why instead of changing the whole game, they should just add an arena with everyone same lvl stats and gear so you can pvp equally with everyone. I think its already been taken in consideration as i talked with List Rostov about that already. For sure there is a lot of work to do before getting there. But one day im pretty sure there will be this kind of event/tourneyment.

Pinky2 and Mac2 like this.
  16. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The only reason why we level that much and get over adv lvl 100 and try to gm all skill is to be able to face every deck(pvp) or situation(pve) easily. Im not stronger than the guy lvl 80 which have less tree gmed than me. I wont use all those tree together. If im magic, i have gear made specifically for a school. So yes a level 80 can beat a level 100 easy. If you play right. A level 80 take a month to get (if you play slowly, 2-3 hour a day). Now, if you want to be uber, for sure it takes more time and dedication. The real thing that influence the powerful and the weak is the knowledge of stuff. When i was level 80 i didnt know much about the game and about PvP. I trained hard, went to EVL tourney, got myself killed so many time. Give me back that level, with the knowledge i have now in building deck and using skill. And i will do the same thing i do right now at level 100. Those extra skill i have got no real use but to fit a situation better. Im mainly necro air using cloth, and trained heavy armor, shield, melee, life spell to be a warrior. Thats 2 different build, both take around 0-80 lvl worth of exp. Which give me my current level 100.

That lock and unlocking skill options is what **** up people from the start. If you choose to be a warrior, the magic skill (except life!) and magic stuff should be locked wisely to have only the skill of a warrior to gain. Same for mage and archer. That way you dont end up after months of playing with 50 in every skill and still feel weak cause you didnt make the choice to lock or not your skill for a specific build to be strong with. All that experience gained could have been used wisely. But the game make you start with no knowledge, a wide variety of choice you cannot comprehend cause you just begin playing and it can take you months to understand this concept. This also should be explained as you start. In a tutorial of some sort or a online guide. That would definitly change the game play of many people.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Aldo, Mac2 and Stundorn like this.
  17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Make a Video!!!

Whats about resistance.
    I really dont want to level some Schools to only be resistant.
    Strongly needed for pvp or maybe they will change it?

18. mass

mass Avatar

Hey, I've been role playing a poor miner that has spent so many days and nights in the mine that he is developing a pneumoconiosis to the extent he simply cannot spend as much time in the mines [OOC: log in as much] as he used to. ;) He is a hero of the ages.

Kaisa and Stundorn like this.
  19. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

My adv level is 97, i really like to keep developing my character but i agree that the current skill system is a time sink. The pvp in sota will never be great with this monstruos gap between hardcore/casual players. I Think until level 80 all skills should be easier to level, and the benefit of 800+ attunement in some tree need to be lower. This way people with 100/200 hours could compete with hardcore players.

For me something annoying is the need to raise all magic trees in order to have a good attunement (resistence), i think de devs should create two new focus skills: magic resistence and elemental resistance.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  20. Duke William of Serenite

I have a player in my guild taking on level 100s . He's only a few months old . Levels help sure but pvp is more than that. How bout you two duel and I prove it to you ?

fonsvitae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.