Remove the restrictions for Trial players!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBlight, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

As i elaborated the first time you guys did the trial...

Is there any reason you cant remove the majority of restricitons for new players?

Maybe make 0 item drop/ability to collect ransoms for free trial players, but allow PVP/dueling.

Can you not do less limiting preventitive measures to prevent abuse / botting?
    Quick look at some of the feedback in sources outside SOTA forums.. it seems like this is the top complaint.

Any way you can reduce the limitations while still preventing ... abuse / w.e the issues/reasons were your limiting them so much?

You want people to get invested with a free trial... i think you should re look at the limits you have on these free accounts.
    @Devs.

2. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I think convenience has been traded for expedience. Therefore, I ask what development should be delayed to implement this?
    Don't get me wrong, you makes a good point and inform about outside opinions. I'm sure you're aware of Portalarium's push to "git 'er done" and the tight scheduling they're working under. Any suggestion of more work will have to bump something else.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  3. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

I'm rarely 100% in agreement with anything regarding this game and the people who make it - but those restrictions are there for a (very good) reason and shouldn't be altered to keep whiny children appeased. If that's whats bothering them, they're unlikely to stick around anyway.

Preventing a massive exploit due to a flood of unchained trial accounts is a serious, valid concern and I'm sure much effort and thought has gone into it. Changing anything about these restrictions, especially this late in the game, would be a bad idea on many levels.

Also, about what development should be delayed? It's not just changing the permissions for new accounts with a flag or setting and calling it a day. Whatever they do needs to be thought out and thoroughly tested before it can enter production - and doing that during a trial, when people are coming in and checking out the game risks any unforeseen consequences from those changes being magnified due to the increased exposure during this time.

4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think the restrictions are exactly what make it a "trial." Its a nice thing to offer, but its like a demo, see if the game runs properly and if its something you think you'd get into. Its not supposed to be long-term-playable. Yes, the restrictions are frustrating, but I think the trial gives enough of a preview of the game for someone to determine if its something they'd play - or not.

Stundorn likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agreed.
    Spent some time in Solace Bridge Outskirts this weekend.

I can understand the restriction that Trial accounts can't give items/gold to regulars - BUT the restriction that regulars can't give items/gold to Trial users is devastating.
    It would have helped hospitalers soooooo much just to make the Trade window one way only.

For instance I met one who had been trying to get that Salmon for 2h and was ready to give up on the whole game just out of pure frustration. This since they have to Clay mine to get the worms and at the moment I met him he had 12 Trout, 8 Bass and an assortment of random cloth items but no Salmon. Just a simple pure bad luck streak - but that was compounded with the initial frustration of getting the hotbar, then having to compete for the clay nodes in multiplayer and once he got some few worms they were quickly used up.
    Now I had lots of worms stocked in my inventory but no way to transfer them to him. So he quit and I have no clue whether he came back or not.
    :rolleyes:
    Another example was meeting someone who loves crafting in other games so I wanted to showcase crafting in this game. BUT again, I can't trade the recipes nor the material.
    Another example was someone who loves to RP and me wanting to give them some emotes. BUT again, I can't trade emotes to Trial users.

Now there are issues with 'laundering' items/gold through trial accounts but those are much better remedied in the farming end.
    BUT there cannot be any issues with trading recipes or emotes.

The "Devs" account is not the developers but rather a random forum user who named himself/herself Devs. So use Berek instead.

MrBlight, StarLord, Preachyr and 3 others like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: Hmm... "interesting random reasons people want to try and come play SOTA"
    • fishing
    • crafting
    • RP
    Yet all with disabilities to do so, and all of which still have placeholders within them o_O...
    just an fyi @Berek ~Time Lord~:(

Preachyr likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The fishing thing wasn't a special interest. It is just the very first quest presented to new users. Which is a bit problematic - would have been so much better with harvesting wood first before getting to 'advanced' stuff like fishing which requires reading the manual.

Also those combat oriented one can handle through giving advice.
    So while most questions would be about combat but for those we are not as restricted when trying to help (except PvP).

Time Lord and StarLord like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

@Spoon + @Berek ,

What I find of possible interest here, is that if there were "mini-games" that could be solo played within each area of special interest, then those could be separated, within or separate from the limited time free offer, possibly with special tips within their play, in such things as all types of crafting, fishing, agriculture and like subjects. Within combat offers within solo play mini-game, a hunting place of free play with no exit, yet with a single NPC vendor which could make available other weapons and equipment to the player. Within a "sort of" PvP quality, one mini-game demo could present bandits or single bandit with like skill set could be made available.

The above mentioned mini-game solo play could be constantly made available for free, which could aid or enhance the free trial offer experiences, while constantly advertising the game with a dates made available to the new potential player of when the next free trial offers may occur.

Whacha Tink? Good or Bad Idea? Anybody?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

The tag for devs was me being lazy. As i dont know who actually is handling the free trials.

But exactly this. The above comments refers to people who dont like the restrictions as * whiney children *..
    When its quite clear it could br adjusted.

If developement has to be delayed to fix the trials, enough they cant do it.. maybe they shouldnt have trials?
    Simply put, the trials are turning off more people then they r bringing in. So maybe they should MAKE time.
    Once agian i tried to bring someone into the game. And once agian this game was blatently laughed at.

Whiney children... this is the reason this official thread is so hard to take seriously.

firesparx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.