Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

4K same framerate as 1080p!

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Miganarchine, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I just ran around Braemar at about 23 fps and Brittany at 13 fps but it makes no difference if I change to 1080p I still get the same framerate which is odd! and changing from the beautiful setting to fastest only gives me a 3 fps increase.
    These framerates make the game play a chore, I get 50 60fps in ESO at 4k and Final fantasy online is nailed at 59 fps in any area at 4k.

Scratch this question it's down to my desktop scaling for 4k
    *And why is the mouse pointer so massive? it covers up text like on the boat destinations.*

uhop, liz_the_wiz and Dmitry Donskoy like this.
  2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I suffer the same.. when you're running an nvidia 1080 graphic card, and 1080p resolution and higher resolution getting like 13fps in brittany/brittany estates ... is highly frustrating, ive tried changing the level from beautiful to less, but, it still is just as crappy

ZeCarlos and Miganarchine like this.
  3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

No idea what the problem could be, but I did find this snapshot from the last Port staff meeting:
    [​IMG]

4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Was this the case before recent patches or Release 41? If the framerate doesn't change going from 1080p to 4K, then it's likely a GPU limitation.

5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Berek it was better for me before R41. i seem to have slightly less framerates than I did in R40

6. Berek

k, thanks for the update! We are looking into performance issues quite heavily this next few weeks. If it gets any worse, please let us know.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think you mean a CPU limitation.

8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

@Berek I live in Xenos and I can tell you there has a been a SIGNIFICANT drop in frame rate between R40 and R41. God forbid someone starts redecorating anywhere in the zone.... everything literally starts stuttering.

Hornpipe and liz_the_wiz like this.
  9. Berek

It will be a CPU limitation if the framerate does actually change with the resolution. If changing the resolution doesn't impact the framerate as much, but turning down things like shadows, anti-aliasing, etc., does, then it's a GPU limitation... in general.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The resolution you run at has very little to do with the CPU unless you're trying to render using the CPU or you're copying frame-buffers to main memory, so if you change the resolution and frame-rate doesn't change then you're not bounded by the GPU but more likely the CPU. Anyway, it's very easy to see what's going on by checking the CPU load.

[edit] Also, the OP said that switching to "Fastest" results in a very minimal improvement (same for me).

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

my CPU has buckets to spare... and is still dropping, it would seem unlikely its CPU limiting and causing frame rates to drop and plummet.. today in DR I even got thrown down to 2fps as pauses... trying to find things to link to that is hard.

PS normally turning off shadows helps, but it isnt making a difference..

PPS Staring at the ground I could get my fps up to 77!

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I've got a GTX 1080 and Ardoris can bring my system to its knees, given that the 1080 is a beast compared to what many folks have and massive numbers of "Ardoris crashes my game" threads aren't flooding the forum, one would guess the problem is elsewhere. In my case, it is likely the memory buckling under the load as SotA seems to prefer loading gigs of stuff onto my main memory.

fonsvitae and Barugon like this.
  13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I have an i7-6820, 32gb memory, and the 1080M (yes its a laptop) but.. its designed for gaming.. its its soul purpose in the world.

I agree, that somewhere, something is hacking stuff off cos either everyone else is putting up and shutting up, or, its just a few of us who seemingly have good gear and..

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm currently using a gaming laptop with a GTX 970M and the performance is OK but it slows down to < 10 fps in some areas (Zenos is a good example). One thing I've noticed is that the launcher/updater sucks a lot of CPU when it's running and just doing nothing. The frame-rate is quite a bit better when it's not running.

This is on Linux BTW. I don't know if it has the same performance impact on Mac or Windows.

15. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I dont think that this is hardware related.
    Even with the best hardware GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme you will have spasmodically stuttering, no matter what resolution or quality settings you are using.
    Sometimes i am running 2 clients (POT administration or trading) and i forget to close one client. There is no real big difference in performance.

16. smack

smack Avatar

The game is still horribly unoptimized and things seem worse to me too. My Titan XP (Pascal) and 6700K barely breaks a sweat in terms of utilization, and the game can crawl to 10-15 fps in nearly all cities, depending on where you're looking at. There really wasn't that big of a difference between Fastest and Beautiful. Something is bottlenecking and thrashing to cause this.

17. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Game is CPU limited, I get the same thing where changing graphics settings has no major effect on framerate.

Rinaldi likes this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have a GTX980 and Ardoris is 60 fps for me. It does take 2x times longer for me to load into it, 40 seconds instead of the usual 20 seconds. But I am also only running 2 x 1080p monitors.

Are you running an SSD?
    Do you have 16 gigs of ram?
    Are you running in "fastest" video?

Has your client been open for a long period of time and therefor effected by memory issues?

How is your internet connection?

View my PC specs below.

Oh FYI: I usually actually have 2 clients open at the same time with these numbers. Both in windows in "fast" video mode. The primary clinet in my screen almost full screen, the second on my second monitor set to about 1/2 the screen.

19. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@2112Starman

SSD yes
    16, 32 actually
    fastest, I tried fastest and beautiful, and with and without shadows...

Barugon likes this.
  20. Berek

Yes, the game is not optimized entirely yet either, so that will effect performance as well. We get that it's lower in framerate in some scenes right now, even with modern hardware :(.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    2112Starman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.