Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

4K same framerate as 1080p!

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Miganarchine, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Malimn maybe, but as its a laptop its 60hz or 120hz.... :p

3. ZeCarlos

ZeCarlos Localization Team

60 fps!! It's Incredible.

I have a GTX 980x2, I7 4930K, SSD, 16 GB RAM and Ardoris is 15-30 fps with stuttering, with or without sli,fastest or beautiful.

Sir Leonard likes this.
  4. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

I have a 2x SLI GTX 1080, I7 6770K, 32GB, a NVMe m.2 SSD (yeah, expensive...) and yet my rates are 15-20fps in brittany wharfs, basically the same i had with an older setup (GTX 770 and 16GB ram, "slow" SSD) a year ago.

I get the game have a severe bottleneck maybe related to Unity's architecture or scene building procedure.

Also, no noticeable difference when switching between 1080 and 4k.

Salix, liz_the_wiz and ZeCarlos like this.
  5. uhop

uhop Avatar

My 2c: memory problems. Either memory leaks, or too much memory for legitimate reasons is allocated (needs profiling and optimization), or something is terribly wrong with I/O, and more (memory-based) cache helps.

Why do I think so? I have relatively mild problems with performance. Sure, I file performance bugs time to time, and like everybody else, I have problems in Ardoris, but the slowdown there still not equal to a crawl mentioned by many others.

This is my setup:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz (12) System RAM: 64367
    GPU: GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 4096
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.602.Date.05.03.17

Like many I use SSD.

You can see that it has decent CPU and GPU, yet both are behind by several generations from the current state-of-the-art reported by many in this thread. The only noticeable difference with setups mentioned by others: 64G RAM.

I think it is memory. Otherwise I don't know how to explain what I see --- my setup should be behind in performance of many rigs described in this thread.

Hornpipe likes this.
  6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Just a tip for some : the only right way to check your FPS ingame is to type /debug in the chat. My screen and my video cards come with a FPS counter but those counters don't work with SOTA as they always display the max fps, even in heavy loaded scenes with high stuttering.

7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Linux ?

uhop likes this.
  8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

There is currently a bug that makes playing on Linux difficult if you have 16 or less gigs of RAM, someone with 64 wouldn't see it.

9. Xeethrax

Xeethrax Avatar

The performance issues in this game is the #1 reason I can't stand to play the game at the moment. 10-30 fps with frequent stutters simply gives me a headache. You want to know by how much upgrading from a 970 to a 1080Ti increased performance in SotA? 0%. All these alleged performance improvements done over time hasn't seemed to do anything but make things worse, in all honesty. Maybe due to the fact that the assets added over time drag any performance gained back down again. I'll keep checking back after the next performance overhaul.. and the next. Hopefully some day.

3devious and Salix like this.
  10. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

I have high hopes for the SotA Vulkan implementation, but they really have to put some efforts into it.

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Pretty sure SotA would have like zero players if the devs didn't include a clockwork tiki statue with glittering nipples.

I'm also in the "Upgraded hardware saw no improvement" camp despite being able to run much more demanding titles without issue.

I haven't set up a trace yet, but memory is the only resource that SotA seems to devour without end, SSD, CPU and GPU are all far from peak. Best guess is that SotA is saturating the bandwidth between the memory and something which is the causing most of the problems. Unity is known for memory issues, see the comments on the Tyranny forums for that, probably the same here.

12. Xeethrax

Xeethrax Avatar

Well GPU load is at 10-15% so makes sense that the upgrade didn't make much of a difference. My CPU is however working at 25-27%, which pretty much means 1/4 cores is working at 100%. The problem (for me at least) is that Unity is mainly single threaded (ie. only uses one core). Vulkan support probably will make a noticable difference in this regard.

Will it be the cure? No I don't think so. It will probably help in scenes with high draw count and lots of lots of objects, but won't do diddly squat for subsystems such as physics. Besides, I think we'll probably be in mid-2018 before that's stable and crashfree. Every improvement made to Unity is an improvement SotA gets for free (at some point), but it's not going to be enough. Optimization is something one typically saves until the end of a project, as any tech change might make any optimization work redundant (and you might not even need it). At this point you'd think things have settled enough to make optimization a part of every iteration.

Didn't they say (a good while back) that they were hiring a guy who's immediate job would be profiling the game and help identify optimization opportunities? Or did I dream it? Anyway, I imagine @Chris (and others) profile frequently, and that there are plenty of performance related tasks in the backlog as a result. Q2 was supposed to have a "significant focus on performance", but alas it was delayed for R41. I'm kind of surprised that people don't consider this to be a bigger issue, because for me it's a deal breaker. Anyway.. Hope to see some improvement in R42/R43.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The notebook I currently use has 16 GB of RAM and it works fine.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Don't expect miracles. Vulkan is not a panacea.

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

On linux? What type of memory utilization are you seeing?

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Last I checked, some scenes were using 10 GB or more.

[edit] BTW, my current PC is a gaming laptop with a GTX 970M GPU and 16 GB RAM. I just put together a new desktop PC with a Ryzen 7 1700 processor, GTX 1070 GPU and 32 GB RAM and I just got Ubuntu 17.04 installed. I'll let you know what the difference in performance is if any.

[edit2] Pretty minimal improvement going from the laptop to the new desktop machine (which has a lot more horsepower).

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  17. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

CPU: Sota is using 35% of my CPU power and only 4 cores of the 8 (logical processors 8) and it's using approx 8 gigs of memory + 8 gig cached, So plenty of room for Sota app to use more!

18. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Ditch player housing in NPC/Game towns, tough decisions need to be made or the game will flop big time. If you work miracles and get 60fps then I will eat all my tour hats!

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I just got my new notebook - HP Omen, gtx 1070, 512gb ssd (no hybrid), 16gb ram, uhd display.
    I just tried to run the game in 3840 × 2160 and it works fine. Ardoris is somewhat laggy an loading times there are x2 of the rest what i visit until, but comapred to what i ran before its amazingly fast :D

Game looks awesome in 4k :)

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.