Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known]Books and Music Sheet titles are blocking common words.

Discussion in 'Release 41 Bug Forum' started by Viper_Venom, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viper_Venom

Viper_Venom Avatar

1. Title: Books and Music Sheet titles are blocking common words.
    2. Reproduction Rate: Always
    3. Blocker? No
    4. Details: Sheet music and books are using the same filter as character creation. This leads to strange blocking of names for songs and books. I'm unable to use words such as "Throne, Lord, Sir, Duke, British or King".
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Use a blank book or blank sheet music and attempt to name it using common medieval themed names.
    6. User Specs: N/A

2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Viper_Poison - Thank you for reporting. Not sure if this is intended or not, but probably should be considered as something to fix. Recording for review.

3. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

I've submitted a bug to see if we can add some exclusions: 45896. Player names are one thing; we simply don't want players to misrepresent themselves or cause general confusion with who they are.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  4. Viper_Venom

Viper_Venom Avatar

@Lexie I understand character creation. I feel it's wrong to apply the same filter to art inside the game. I believe only a profanity filter should be applied to book and song titles. There are some names which should be okay for book and song titles, but not for character creation.

Lord is a prime example how the same filter doesn't make sense in both situations. I don't think people should really be able to self title, since we have titles given by the game depending on our pledge, but I don't see any problem with using Lord in a song title or book title. British is another one that's pretty odd. I understand not having people name themselves Lord British, but what if I write a book about my favorite dog titled "The British Bulldog" or about a British person?

If it's only adding exclusions, the ones I request are Ultima, Game, Blackthorn and Lord.

Lexie likes this.
  5. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

All book titles must be within the spirit of the game world.

6. Viper_Venom

Viper_Venom Avatar

When I said that I was thinking about our characters background story and thinking we were writing about our past. I thought we, as the Avatar, were brought here from another world. From a RP perspective maybe our character brought their favorite dog or misses them and wrote a poem about them or a short story.

I see right now there are two dogs in the add-on store. A Silver Clockwork Dog and a Grey Great Dane. Are you saying I can write about those types of dogs, but not other types of dogs? If that is what you are saying, then I would say a silver Clockwork Dog is a robot and therefore could be programmed with a personality for any type of dog of the owners desire.

I don't really understand how you can just take a word and block it knowing that it wouldn't be in the spirit of the game world without understanding the full context. It just seems to me as blocking creativity. Writing is creative art. RP is creative art. I just figure if something is inappropriate, then people can report it. Personally, I haven't seen any problems with books or music before this change.

7. Mischievous Dragon

A poisoned bread would be the only object you can take through to New Britannia from Earth. Your dog would stay on Earth. It is like that in Ultima IX.

8. Viper_Venom

Viper_Venom Avatar

Unless you can point me to a place where the devs stated this, then you are just making assumptions. Regardless, it doesn't address when I said "misses the dog". Forget the dog coming through the portal. Do we take our memories? Writing a song or book comes from our feelings, thoughts and memories. Are those erased when we come to this world? Do we not know who we are or remember who our family was? I don't recall talking to characters and trying to reclaim my memories in the story or quests. If we can't talk about where we came from, then why is coming to this land from another world part of the story? What is allowed to be used for my character's background story?

I just hope the devs consider these points when they decide if they are going to block words in art sources. In my opinion, our imaginations should flourish here, not be stifled by restrictive creativity. If someone is clearly trying to ruin the game immersion or other players experiences, then I have no problem with them being punished accordingly or getting their items renamed, etc. There will always be some trolls that abuse the system, but blocking a few words isn't going to stop them. They need to be dealt with and punished appropriately when they are reported.

9. Mischievous Dragon

You don't decide that. Hahahahahahahha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.