1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Stats API

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Undone, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Well if the rumors being spread here and on other forums are true- that new players are shunning SotA because the Gap is too large to be closed within a reasonable time frame- then I think it would behoove @Chris to consider publicly sharing this information.

The consequences of keeping this information secret will likely be more spurious conclusions being drawn, i.e. they are keeping the info hidden because revealing it would confirm that the rumors are true.

Leinad Laurelwreath likes this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

@Undone

3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

As @Undone stated, the API only covered location-based events right now. Because player skills and levels are not really location based, I would not expect them to be available in this release. It may be added later.

Leinad Laurelwreath likes this.
  4. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I'm not really sure what you are expecting this to gain. This is intended for everyone, not just a select few. All adding a key does is make us jump through the extra hoop of requesting a key, and them the extra hoop of having to rubber-stamp it (because that's all it's going to be).

Frankly the barrier to entry to using this is already higher than that anyway, as you have to be a semi-competent programmer to utilize it.

Undone likes this.
  5. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

We understand that you will construct your own loot tables via manual testing and word of mouth; but providing all of this data with exact timing kind of makes it that much easier which is one thing we'd like to avoid.
    I agree that a time-delay would be ideal. However, elastic does not make doing something like this easy as it's not what it is designed for. There may be some work arounds but again this would not happen for a while as there are much higher priority tasks.

Umuri and Leinad Laurelwreath like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

And @Undone because you liked it:
    Privacy?
    With the system as it is I have to share the data with everybody if I want to find out something about my character.

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

One of the things the API was hopefully going to help alleviate was searching for goods for sale. However, I'm not seeing what I'd expect in order to make this happen.

I can see a way to find what sold recently from merchants, but it doesnt seem to include player or public vendors. Additionally, I don't see an "added to sell list" type attribute, which would be the other important piece. We would need to know when an item is for sale, and when it is sold, in order to make a usable vendor list.

Any idea of when player vendors will be added to this to make it worthwhile for the economy.

Sir Aular Glorthalion likes this.
  8. Undone

It is a Public API; I'm confused as to what you were expecting?

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I expected some reaction to my question.
    That you consider making it not public.
    I will take your answer as an 'no'.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I expected some reaction to my question.
    That you consider making it not public.
    I will take your answer as an 'no'.

11. Undone

Ah apologies for not understanding your original question/suggestion. And you are correct: the API is public (designed as such) and will not be made private.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Would you consider writing the events that would usually be logged in the API to a text file for the offline mode? Of far less use, of course, but we can use it to locate things that we experienced and might not be able to replicate again easily.

13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Can we know about change being made? Cause im building a tool to search trough the db and now some function doesnt seem to work like looking for arti dropped in a scene past 24 hours show nothing. (tryed with many scene and nothing is shown) i dont think it jumped from 10 to 0 so i guess it was removed or something. Also if there is new term being added would be fun to know :p

14. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

...ok...

15. Phil Scott

Phil Scott Avatar

Did the max size just go from 10,000 to 5,000 for anyone else?

16. Undone

Not without re-engineering our current logging which is unlikely to happen any time soon.
    Everything is in flux and we're trying different things. Artifacts and quest items were removed from the loot events.
    It should be back at 10k for now. A few people are hammering the server and eating a lot of bandwith; this has us considering different limitations to reduce load. If you are constantly hammering this API I would ask that you reduce your calls before the whole thing gets shut down.

17. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

What do you consider hammering the API? Want to give us some guidelines for how often to query data? Requests/hr or requests/min?

18. Undone

People who are trying to download and archive every event that comes through. We're basically uploading 10-30gb per day due to a select few who are querying as often as they can.

Titania Xylia likes this.
  19. Browncoat Jayson

Can you set a limit by IP, so they can only query once per hour or so?

20. Undone

It is possible but we are still hoping that won't be necessary.

Sentinel2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.