Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Housing tax rates seem a bit high

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by SabeSr, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Not very helpful to casual players to have to come up with 2000 gold a day to keep their town house lot.

60,000 gold per month is a lot to earn

The concept of taxation is great (opinions vary) but its not supposed to be a burden.

2. smokybarnable

smokybarnable Avatar

This is the reason I don't play the game. I want to play and I want a house but as a casual gamer I don't want to feel obligated to have to play to earn money to keep my house.

GraveDncer and Mihel like this.
  3. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Even if you setup greenhouses and planted the right crops you could barely pay your taxes with what you sell to other players via vendor.

I'm going to start growing tea leaves then when they are ready to harvest I'm walking them over to the docks and throwing them in the water.

GraveDncer, Nikko, Tamsen and 3 others like this.
  4. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Casual Player with a TOWN!? I'm not a casual player and would't on a non-Tax Free town.

5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

It actually doesnt cost much in terms of COTOs to fund rent. I too wish it was a bit lower, but understand the need for gold sink, real estate value, and way for Port to generate revenue. Housing more or less represents a significant commitment to the game. I understand people that dont want it to cost any IRL $, and dont want it to cost so much in game time commitment, but at the same time, these levels of commitment prevent housing from being scooped up and occupied by accounts that arent very committed to the game.

Yah I agree with this - Town lots arent a casual commitment. They represent a significant chunk of storage space, and ideally, there is a committed player out there (someday!) craving that spot so bad, yet what if none are available? The rental fee represents the level of commitment you have to the project financially and to the game community.

I really hope apartment rentals come out soon, I think it will really help with a lot of the perceived burdens to housing. Ive already built a few apartment buildings and am ready to go with super low prices, to encourage new players to participate in housing and realize its achievable. With the variety of containers out there, you can get really creative with storage space in a decent sized room, and use it as a great way to organize yourself towards earning enough for your own lot deed. Not that housing is necessary at all, but it is a lot more comfortable than a local bank storage.

There is zero incentive for landlords to rip people off at this time. With the amount of open space in PoTs (and PRTs, and to a degree, many NPC towns), I dont think there will be a market for burdensome rentals anytime soon. Perhaps in Ardoris or Britanny or any other maxed out town seen as "popular," but just saying overall that I feel the apartment rental feature will make housing fully accessible to everyone, and I dont think there will be a downside to it. Not until the game gets so popular that literally every spot on Novia is high in demand, but then, we have a really great problem.

I throw this out there a lot - my apts will be open to anyone who actively plays and isnt wealthy (in game). So even to you @SabeSr - if you want to roll up your taxed town lot for a while once apts come out, and save up IGG and rent out an apartment in Storm's Reach or Xenos, hit me up :). Im also trying to figure out a process to rent out farm plots attached to the buildings.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Elnoth likes this.
  6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have no problems with the rental amount. Any player can get 500gp from The Oracle every day. That takes the 2000gp/day rental fee down to 1500gp. If you own a Row Lot then you can pay the per diem by just going to the Oracle. A village lot is only 1000gp/day, so you would only be responsible for 500gp/day. I own a Town Lot and the 2k per month is a little harder to obtain, but I chose to get a larger property. I could have went with a Village or Row lot, but opted to put a little more effort in for a Town Lot. If I can't keep up with the amounts I get evicted and a player will get the option to rent the property. As @Black Tortoise said, you can use COTO's to pay rent(which I do), which gives you 3500/COTO, toward your rent, regardless of the amount you paid for the COTO.

Lexie, Thwip and Alley Oop like this.
  7. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I use COTOs to pay for my village lot, buy them for under 2,100 each. I hate the oracle, and it's busy work to visit, but it is 500GP (that's one way to completely diminish the idea of the oracle in-game as well--make them visit DAILY and click through the options as fast as possible, it just makes the oracle noise to be dealt with). Still... I think rent is too high, especially with how the game keeps changing, and the spots that have decent yields for farming keep getting nerfed. And player skills keep getting nerfed. And mining gets nerfed. But taxes are forever!

Lord Ravnos and Tamsen like this.
  8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Exactly... I think town or bigger I think... guild chapter house or something more useful. Why as a casual player you would opt for this, is beyond me. Even a village is too much for a casual in my opinion. Stick to a row.

Now if anyone wants to sell me a TF town cheaply :D

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

2000 gp per day? Is that on a row lot?

10. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

2000g per day is based on a town lot and one month game time is one day real time unless they've changed it.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, I assume that row lots are still 500 gp per day.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yep...500gp for Row, 1000gp for Village, 2000gp for Town, and I think it's 3500gp for City.

13. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Feeling obligated is what I hate about subscriptions like Final Fantasy Online or Star wars mmo, I buy a months sub and feel I have to play it, spoils it a bit, but I wont be bothering about houses anyway because I kickstarted for an Ultima single player the mmo is just a bonus or a minus in many respects!

GraveDncer likes this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment.
    The tax prices are absolutely exorbidant.
    Not only can a new player not even have a lot until they can grind out a lot of gold and/or be lucky enough to win one in the raffle (lol, good luck) or buy one from a player, if one can be found, at whatever price that player has set. Assuming they can do this, then they have to pay to maintain the thing.

I agree there should be tax - a nominal, minimal amount, to ensure that the player claiming the spot remains active. This is how housing tax is handled in almost every mmo ever, that has it. The tax shouldn't be a huge economic burden like paying a mortgage forcing a player to grind grind grind just to pay the rent. It should be something trivial just to make sure you've logged in fairly often and if not then the spot frees up.

I know more than one person who bought 'taxed' deeds in addon store based on speculated tax rates who couldn't even afford to place them once the "tax rates" were announced and have since sold these off.

Realistically the rates should be about 10% of what they are now. Housing is a huge part of the game, there's no reason to limit deed availability with raffles when there's loads of player towns that are empty. There's certainly no reason to make players spend hours of dedicated time grinding to afford rent - this puts players off.

GraveDncer, Mihel and Hornpipe like this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if you log in every day and talk to the oracle, a row lot is free. anything larger is either a business decision (farming space), a status symbol, or personal pleasure, and it's not unreasonable to have to pay for those.

Tiina Onir and Lord Ravnos like this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Not really true. IF you manage to log in every 24 hours and don't miss the window and IF you manage to answer the virtue question correctly (or take the time to check the dialogue, every time, since apparently your virtue can change overnight for no obvious reason) then yes, you can get the 500g/day that you need for a row.

However, if you miss one of those logins, this is not deducted from the price of your rent ;)

And it is of course assuming that you couldn't put that 500g to better use on anything else, like buying reagents(500g wont get you very many), or repair kits (500g may cover ONE hunting session...probably not though, since you've got 5 pieces of gear and at least 1 weapon to fix) ...or food so you can have regen or teleports so you don't spend half your available playtime getting pulled into road encounters just trying to get someplace, etc. etc.

I understand what you're trying to say, but nothing in this game is "free". The 500g daily oracle money will buy 10 ingot molds for a crafter, and that's it. It wont even cover a stack of the cheapest crafting fuel. The game is absolutely punishing with cash sinks and the rent really, really doesn't need to be one of them or nearly as bad as it is. Its a real barrier to new players.

GraveDncer, zyxe and Hornpipe like this.
  17. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Hard to say it better...

the cash sinks are more like catastrophic whirlpools of death... and they WILL kill the game for new players who will never return regardless of being corrected after release

GraveDncer and kaeshiva like this.
  18. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I dont have every day to play... I have a real life... I have a couple days a week, usually weekends. Even then I only have a few hours which is barely enough to pay my housing rent if that.

GraveDncer, zyxe and kaeshiva like this.
  19. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Seriously?

I don't think so.

zyxe likes this.
  20. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I also think that taxes are too high... and I don't pay any of them. It's hard to argue for this gold sink feature when a part of us (the most favored, quite often) is not even concerned.

That said, I would not say that those taxes should be at 10% of what they are currently. They must allow derelicted lots to be put back on the market quickly.

I think that we have to wait for the room renting system before any change. When it will be active, maybe there will be less pressure on lot acquisitions. Then taxes may fall slightly (20 ~ 50 % ?). But that's only my opinion.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Gatsu. and zyxe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.