Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Unloved overworld PoTs

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by liz_the_wiz, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

As a person coming into town ownership in the short future, I was looking around, and it reminded me of my newby days, where you arent really sure Pot or real town, so you go in.. there are a limited number of overworld PoT spots yet, even around brittany without trying 4 have zero residents, not even the owner lives in it.. Then there are ones with maybe 1 person the owner.. etc. Some are litterally nekkid no nothings placed.

Will there be a time when port reviews that these towns have been empty far too long, maybe their owner doesnt even log in any more will you consider stripping it and opening it up to a heavily used PoT owner ? Im not thinking me,but in general, to keep the overworld so that new players see it as a thriving game rather than dead space

Quenton likes this.
  2. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I'd think the empty PoTs that are not used could just be disabled. All of these towns that have nothing in them are a bit of a nuisance to be honest.
    I tried to go to a nearby town because I was out of reagents, and the town had maybe 5 houses tops, no vendors. If a town has no plots claimed by this point it seems pointless to keep it in the game.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i just wish they didn't show empty foundations. you could still enter them if you know where to stand, but they wouldn't be visual clutter.

(i don't like the empty foundations on pots that DO have some houses, either.)

GraveDncer, Scraps MacMutt and By Tor like this.
  4. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I think this is a great idea. I don't see how you could disable or remove a pot if the owner paid a very large price for one - but if it's empty (or nearly empty) you could just remove it visually from the map. It still could be entered but making it invisible (or maybe look like just a small hut) would look a lot better than 5 empty slabs on the map.

Shadow and Chatele like this.
  5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

If some of the overworld PoT's are deactivated I'd like to get in line to have my POT granted teh overworld access....!

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Perhaps one should consider that there are a lot of folks out there, POT owners included that won't play the game until release.

IMO folks have paid for these and they should use them how they want.
    If they want an empty spot to use later in the game, fine.
    If they want to have just one house and live as a hermit, fine.

StarLord, Bom, Nikko and 2 others like this.
  7. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I would definitely like the idea of inactive towns losing their right to be on the world map.

The issue is that they are essentially littering on the world map. It's ugly. If they want to have a small town or an out of the way town, we should have the choice of not seeing it or at the very least the nuisance of a slab.

8. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

It's true.

I don't love player owned towns.

Chatele likes this.
  9. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

for example Mediolanum (commercial city on hidden vale) city can't be moved near main path to Owl's Head because there are some ghost-towns (from ages) placed on tactical locations... i can undersand that empty cities can't be removed.. but also these cities are using maybe crossroads positions..or tactical positions.. damaging the game.

uhop likes this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

they are privately owne it is the owner choice to use it , in no way shape or form does this even remotely give port any right to do anything to it. It is private property.

11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

To an extent. However. id need to find the full Eula but normally you actually own nothing

12. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I DO agree that there should be a slightly more attractive graphical representation than empty slabs... either a small hut, or maybe "if" there are zero structures in the town, it could just be a signpost!

Bom and liz_the_wiz like this.
  13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I just remember it wasn't uncommon for the trial guys to think few people play partly as someone remarked that a lot of people are in friends so aren't seen but also if as you walk around you find villages marked that are fields it matters not that there are nested towns full to the brim, the world seems empty

I just wish that places which are good had a chance to shine. That people arriving found life. For these areas are were people will likely look for homes. It empty fields aren't home worthy.

14. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

Just because it's private property does not mean the players of the game can not petition it's removal from the world map.
    Just like you own your house but if you don't mow your lawn bad things are going to start happening.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

People not only paid for POTs, they paid for map access, so some of the solutions here make no sense...

I don't own a POT, but I am stewarding one... and so far its not up just because I'm trying to raise a lot of resources to get the public areas of the town started. So, in this case its not a matter of the POT not getting love, its just not at fruition yet.

I would agree that the Overworld representations with slab foundations are not that nice visually, and don't even communicate to passing players that they should. For example, if you have literally no lots placed, a passing player will still see four slab foundations, as if there are four lots ready to be claimed. A slab in the OW representation communicates to an average player is a lot that can be claimed, so is an invitation for a player to go in and try to claim one. But if you have none, the OW representation is basically misinforming people.

Also, the statues count as buildings, so if I place nothing but a statue of Boreas (my case), the OW representation will be a couple of slab foundations and a home. Really, though, it should just show up as a Boreas statue in an empty field, and nothing else.

It is something that I think the devs need to work on.

Bom, Nikko, By Tor and 1 other person like this.
  16. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I did not know that map access was an extra paid feature.

But if a town wants to "invite people in" they should do so through means within the game. To show several slabs is just ugly. They could perhaps go from 0 to 4 houses visible.
    If no houses are visible all we have are the name above an area and it's clear nobody lives there. When you enter a zone there are not any big slabs of foundation lying around.

By Tor likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

The OW town representation IMO should be as WYSIWYG as possible.

Slabs of some sort would be empty/unclaimed lots. If you don't have any unclaimed lots, though, you shouldn't have slabs. If you have a statue, it shouldn't show up as a building. If you're a Metropolis with 100s of buildings, you should see more than four (although obviously it can't be shown accurately). if there's a wall built into the town template, you should see the wall on the map. If there's an Oracle confirmatory, you should also see it on the map. Etc.

Bom and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  18. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

As I read it, it wasnt a paid feature, but it was granted to the first 230 POTs that were bought.

Numa and GraveDncer like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, but they were advertised with map access, where following POTs were advertised without map access. Now, on the forum Marketplace, you'll see POTs bought and sold and priced for sale depending on whether they have map access or not.

StarLord, Bom and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  20. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Disagree totally. This stuff was paid for and shouldn't be subject to the whims of what folks think fits or not. We'll just have to disagree on the subject. But I will fight tooth and nail for the rights of PoT owners to manage their paid for towns as they see fit. If I don't want my town full that is my decision. If I want a hermit house in a metro sized town filled with air ballons, again my choice.

Caree Death, StarLord and Bom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.