Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Unloved overworld PoTs

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by liz_the_wiz, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

The part I primarily dislike is the slabs. These are not visible inside the town, and as such should not be there. An empty town simply looks like a forest or plains with roads nothing more.

Scraps MacMutt and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I for one don't think they should lose their spot. However, say a person passes away, etc, how is that going to be handled? I think if the POT someone owns becomes completely inactive for a year (meaning, account never logs in, and no one lives there) you can:

A) replace the POT with a placeholder PRT
    B) make it invisible on the MAP

Then if it is not active a year after release, Port tries to contact the owner for 6months to offer full refund. If after 6 months, they are unable to reach the buying, the POT gets removed completely.

But it should at least be a 2 year process after release. Then they should be allowed to recirculate. You have to account for that type of stuff.

Bom and Nikko like this.
  3. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I agree that the group of foundations indicating an empty POT is unattractive. I would think a small sign signifying its existence would suffice. And, if only 1 or 2 lots are claimed maybe only one house should be showing, with no other markers such as the empty foundations. But as Sean said folks spent real dollars helping Portalarium build this game to get those towns and that cannot easily be dismissed or ignored.

4. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I like the idea of a process for removal. But there would also need to be a process of passing the town to another player or transforming it into an NPC town. Of course 2 years of having no governor it may be worthwhile to appoint a temporary one at least if the town has a high population.

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  5. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

My understanding was that PoTs on the overworld map would be subject to removal if they remained unoccupied for too long. This would be somewhat similar to the removal of houses when people leave the game for too long or don't pay their taxes. This was mentioned by the devs a long, long time ago and unfortunately I don't recall exactly when or where it was stated, and things may have changed since then. I believe the PoT owner would have the option to request their town be restored to the map once they returned to the game but there would be no guarantee that they'd get the same spot.

As for the look of the PoTs themselves on the map, I also hate the bare foundations and wish they were removed. They look bad and make the game world look bad. I'd also prefer it if PoT owners were given some other choices for the look of the buildings on the map, maybe something that fits their town's theme like a stone keep or Obsidian tower, although I expect that's beyond the scope for Ep 1. Right now the PoTs look very vanilla and uninspiring on the overworld map.

Bom, liz_the_wiz and Alley Oop like this.
  6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

How about POT/PRT's that have been active (Governor/Home Owners visited recently) have something graphically that shows this - like lights/lampposts being on (or off), chimneys smoking (or not smoking), etc?

7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Ah... the smoke and lights is on when people are in it.. so they've already done that.. maybe instead of slabs they could do like just a ploughed field with "sold" written on it, and make it a little like the village outside deep ravenswood so that you dont go there until there are plots laid down .. I dont mind the ones with like 1 guy living in it.. I really dont.. at least theres a plot and a house.. but, its the totally empty fields that bug me.. especially when its been that way month after month.. its just not giving the people who come on the trial, the view how much is happening in game, the thriving towns that are hidden etc..

Bom and Echondas like this.
  8. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Agreed - and the nested POTs need some mechanic as well ..

GraveDncer likes this.
  9. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

I wouldn't mind a game option that allows you to visually remove (filter) them from the world map on your client if they meet certain criteria such as no claimed lots. It wouldn't remove them from the game, but like the /visible toggle affects only you.

I think once you've paid for the privilege you shouldn't be at risk to lose it.

Sean Silverfoot and Bom like this.
  10. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I believe this is an issue best reserved for Episode 1 being declared released. Can't judge PoTs based on pre-release audiences. Heck, the owner of our PoT hasn't been around to manage it really.

But that is because he is an actively deployed serviceman with limited internet access. Taking away something he paid for because his military service prevents him from playing would be a pretty low blow. Ugly on the map or not.

Bom and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Unless its totally empty, with nothing set on it.. it wouldnt be the kind of town we are talking about anyway.. By the way you talked of it, you live there, thats not the towns i started about, its the ones which have litterally nothing..

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I've been involved with the PoT's since the start and I know of no such decision like that being made. Would love to see where this information is.

StarLord and Bom like this.
  13. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I seem to recall it being mentioned in one of the deep dives or telethon Q&A sessions a long time ago, but I have no idea which one. If nobody else remembers it then maybe I should see a neurologist because I have a pretty specific memory of hearing it during one of the live streams. In any case, I did a quick forum search and couldn't find it written down anywhere. :confused:

14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

See if I can find something myself......Thanks for the heads-up!

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i did find mention that the original plan was not to have five bare foundations visible, just one:

Bom and Numa like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Lord British and Darkstarr addressed this issue in the last telethon... or perhaps the last Post Mortem... Richard thinks the slabs are ugly too... They will be removed, and likely an Empty POT will have a different, less ugly and obtrusive marker.

Bom, Numa, Sean Silverfoot and 3 others like this.
  17. Xenix Brastar

Xenix Brastar Avatar

Not sure if someone has mentioned this yet, but perhaps when someone buys a new town, or until someone buys the town, there should be a wandering caravan with NPCs that show up near the entrance of said town....

18. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I think anyone would be hard pressed to tell someone that because they spent between 0-6k for a town,what they can or can't use it for and when. Look at the total number of towns,a lot of revenue was generated by town sales,upgrades,Add-on store item sales. Personally I don't think it is anyone's right to complain if they are currently unused or not,they paid for it and it is their decision.

StarLord, Bom and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  19. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Agreed, I paid more for more pot then the first 230 people and I don't have overland access.

20. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

We weren't given a choice as to the size of the instance, but rather just the amount of useable space in the instance. A holdfast instance is the same size as a metropolis. And taking into account decoration limits (only 8 lighting decorations can be placed in a holdfast), the fact that most exterior decorations need to be bought and that fixed POTs haven't even been addressed yet, you can see why many towns are or appear empty. Oh yeah plus the fact that we paid real money to have the POT and have overland map access to it during early backing gives the owners the right to keep it as they see fit.

Bom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.