Saddness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I was out going to work on some exp and train a few skills;) and came across this scene in Deep Ravenswood . . . .
    [​IMG]

I am not worried that it happened, even thow it made me sad . . .

I was not overly sad because I can harvest them :p but . . .

What really made me sad was this is the "Game" and how it was designed and being continued:confused: . . . . .

A game where some players can waltz into an area like this (supposed to be somewhat difficult) and slaughter everything with ease and in a short time:mad:

A game where it is almost imperative to do just that, because in order to maintain and progress it is almost a requirement to just GRINDo_O

A game where one leaves waste because, the time needed to actually recover the valuable resources does not offset the time needed to gain required exp :rolleyes:

. . . . . .
    What and how the game has been designed is what makes me the saddest :oops:

I know:cool: I KNOW, I can go into Friends only and avoid seeing this . . . .

Ah well back to the Grind :(

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Numa, Dantuin and 5 others like this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yep, this is why it's a lonely Novia out there sometimes. It just doesn't always pay to be in multiplayer mode. Folks are either in Friends or SPO so that they can effectively grind mats and exp. IMHO it's a terrible game dynamic that needs to be fixed in order to encourage folks to adventure together (if that's what you want to do of course ;)). Let's hope that as we move along Portalarium irons out these kinks and balances the system so that we all get out there again! :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Nikko, Abraham and 6 others like this.
  3. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Well, for this to be "Fixed" you would need to get rid of the jerks that like to play in multiplayer and will intentionally come up just as your about to finish off a mob and land the killing blow among other anti-social behaviors that I have seen exhibited in multiplayer. When I started playing this game I played exclusively in multi. I stopped because I became fed up with the massively jerky people that do game. No not all are this way, but far too many are "just because they can". Most likely if it was a single person and they have gotten their character high enough that they can kill multiple higher level mobs with no problems. Personally, I wouldn't cry about it simply because I can skin them and once skinned it doesn't take long for respawn. No game can be everything for everyone.

Nikko, By Tor, Dantuin and 3 others like this.
  4. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

That is every game.

5. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

It was probably me sorry :)

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Think those havnt been considered high end mobs since month 2 of pers

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Sadly yes this is why I don't play in Multi, either. The respawn rate on critters and particularly harvestable resources is too slow for any zone to support more than a single player farming it in a circuit, or maybe a small group of lower levels. The "progress bar" on harvesting is also terribly slow, so if you've killed a pile of spiders and don't need the useless crap they drop (ok, I spose you could make mid-tier food out of the legs, but the venom sacks are 1g each and not really worth the time, and making them into poison isn't really lucrative either...spider silk's ok but again, its worth pennies) - then yeah, why would you sit there and spend 5 minutes skinning them all? And failing repeatedly at 90+% chance? ;) When I was low level (before persistence, even) and just starting the game, more than once a high lvl xp farmer has offered to drag me around, splitting the xp gain even, but my responsibility was battlefield cleanup, skin all this crap so they spawn again sooner. If harvest speed was bumped a bit that would help, but without a corresponding increase to resource respawn multiplayer's still going to be empty. The first thing I do when I enter a zone is hit nearby players and if there's anyone else there, I switch to friends. How many do the same?

Numa, Thwip, Vrunk Hrrk and 4 others like this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Could you make a better title that is relevant to the OP, so we know that you're talking about the game and not about being emotional due to aging, chemical in the body, and/or some sort of life changing events?

Anyhow, this is the common issue with all multiplayer games. It's gonna be somewhere between a free for all loot where people can jack your resource or some leave the resource unclaimed and prevent respawn or anyone else to harvest the resource.

It is a solvable problem that doesn't require being emotional about it, though.

9. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

gm field dressing swiftness and use the obsidian pots.
    i have done that in mining and when i was low level it took 12 hits to mine a node normally. now it takes me 5 hits per node normal.
    thats more that twice as fast.

same thing would apply to field dressing.
    i do agree that its crazy slow tho.

10. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I'm confused by the people saying this happens in every game. It does not.

Not sure how many other games some of you play but usually it is not worth it for a player to grind out trivial content like this. This is accomplished by giving diminishing xp returns the higher level you are above the mob, often to the point where if you are high enough the mob gives you nothing.

In SotA the xp amounts are static which keeps them viable and efficient for grinding and thus you will see this sort of thing often.

11. Kupursk

Kupursk Avatar

The problem in those other games is that all content becomes "disposable."
    You grind a zone, out-level it, then never come back because everything in there is useless to you. Then in endgame you're always left with but a couple areas to play. I like the idea that every bit of the game can be revisited without it being pointless (even if not the most profitable option).

The best way to accomplish that, in my opinion, is to keep the "power gap" between a lower-level character and an "endgame" character into a sensible range. For example, if an endgame character would do 2x or 3x the damage of a new one; as opposed to 1000x more damage as is the case with so many MMOs, that means lower-level zones might not be life-threateningly difficult to an endgame character, but he'll also not go in there and blow everything up in 2 seconds with one fireball.

This is how it was in Ultima Online (at least in Richard's time), and I think it's the main reason for its longevity as you always feel you have the whole world to explore as you will, no matter your character level.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Stundorn like this.
  12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Deep Ravenswood is a 5 skull zone and would be the equivalent to level cap zones in other games. In those other games, the players eventually become strong enough to do this. There would be no diminishing returns.

13. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

A perfect illustration of the biggest problem with this game right now. Thanks @Weins201 !

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Ignoring the fact that theres 6-12skull content now?

.. i went from 1 skull zone to 3 skull to 4 and 5.
    .. how many adv level 80+ still go in 1 -4 skulls?
    How does Sota keep them freash?

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  15. Kupursk

Kupursk Avatar

Well I'm not claiming there is, nor that there isn't, a problem with difficulty/reward in SOTA. I'm not nearly advanced enough in the game to know that yet.

I was merely speaking in general terms. I've played plenty of MMOs where you start out with 3 damage / 10 health... and end up with 50k damage / 500k health (or some such number.) All of them suffered from this "disposable content" problem. You stay in an area for a while, out-level it, then move on as there's nothing left to do there worthwhile.

I'm just mentioning that the more aggressive the "power level" of the player scales, the more this happens, the faster you're left with a bunch of areas you're "done with" and have no reason to return to.

In UO this wasn't the case because an "endgame" character was not so aggressively superior compared to a lower one. There was reason for a high-end player to hunt lower or mid-level creatures such as Ettins, Orcs, etc, and not just Dragons and Demons. There was also still just enough challenge for the player to have to mind what he was doing (even if not a BIG challenge in those cases) and not just mindlessly farm creatures with one shot of his attacks.

Also, in terms of crafting, good resource areas didn't necessarily mean high-level monsters too, as is the case with most MMOs where you'll only find the "endgame ore" nodes in the same zones where the "level 100" creatures are. Not to mention other activities such as fishing, housing, thieving, etc, that weren't tied to "area difficulty level" either.

This was nice, because in the end in UO even with a maxed-out character you still had, let's say, about 80% or 90% of the entire map and content to play. Whereas in most MMOs you're left with just a couple of zones with anything useful to do.

I'm hoping SOTA tries to follow the same path as UO in this regard,
    but as I said I'm not that far yet to judge.

:)

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Stundorn, Nikko and 5 others like this.
  16. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

One interesting way to keep it fresh or at least significant economically is to have mats for advanced potions like the poison recipes needing corpion claws, etc. If they did this inversion more, low level players would have something significant for higher level players to build economy.

Stundorn, Spoon and Rada Torment like this.
  17. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

We, as players, should not change our playstyle and routines because a bad game design imo. There are a lot of options to avoid issues with all in multiplayer, like making bigger scenes (compare the size of DRW with Outskirts for example), more scenes for mid-high levels, a better distribution of spawns (some maps has large empty terrain spaces), etc

This is one of the biggest issues with the "feeling" playing sota knowing we are playing an MMO. I would start forcing POTs multiplayer, no options for friends or single mode. The topic is very debatable but they should start doing small changes. They decided time ago they are gonna build an MMO, but the feeling is confusing atm.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Numa and Stundorn like this.
  18. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Seems not much has changed, ill check back in another year or so..

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Cordelayne like this.
  19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This reads like an ultimatum. If it is, I disagree with it in regards to every last feature of the game because those decisions not only define what this game is, but because game design choices belong to the developer.

However, having and sharing opinions is what we are posting on the forum for.

20. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

All I said is that if a game try/force to change your playstyle, thats a bad design basically. Not an ultimatum in any case.

It's good to talk about what we miss, or need, in sota, because if we want a better game, they need hear what the game needs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.