Gambling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBlight, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Can trade them on Siege, so no different than CotOs.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

"For over 20 years" pretty much includes from 1997 through 2017 don't you think? So I'm not quite seeing the point of this point.

3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The question is, did EA sanction selling them for cash or merely not enforce a prohibition?

4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The legality of online gambling has been refined since UO was declining.

5. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I knew a guy in college who sold pot and got beer for kids under 21. Must be legal then, right?

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Not sure what side you're arguing here.

If a company legally sells beer and pot to an adult, and that adult sells it to a minor, the company isn't at fault.
    Likewise, if a company sells adults and minors digital books that they can put their unique names and values on, it's not the companies fault if the people use that ability to create promissory notes that are then used in games of chance within a virtual world where every transaction required to "cash out" is outside of the virtual world and not supported by the company.

I'm not a lawyer, and I know you were or are. But I'm guessing that both of those scenario's would be extremely weak cases that you would not feel good about prosecuting.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The Game of Scum o_O?...

:eek: "OMG! a law with a history dating back to 1035 BC?" :confused:

The stumbling block I see in it has to do with the larger international issues, where some countries have strict guidelines or outright bans on all forms of gambling or their associated items.

Just one example :oops:~TL~
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_Cards_Act

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm definitely thinking about this from the point of view of a US citizen. So that's a very good point I hadn't considered. Still, UO, I've heard so many gambling stories (including lotteries) that I really don't see the problem. We have lotteries going on right now, what's the problem? All "real money" has to be traded outside the game, and in-game gold is not considered a currency anywhere that we care about.

From my point of view, some people just don't like gambling just like some people just don't like RMT. That seems to be the only problem here.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

well and used as a reward system like Black Desert does it is just fun. Spin the wheel for login bonus and rewards ;). Just Future thoughts on this . ;)

*** well and don't forget resting bonus and xp bonus perhaps for logging out in beds, camps, inns etc*****

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Which bring us back to @King Robert 's Quote o_O...
    I knew that cards were not allowed in Thailand, but I truly didn't know it's history before I read that :confused: and especially about the "game of scum!" ;

The current law was passed in 1943 superseding previous acts. The act was in respone to :eek: "the Great Gambling Incident of 1942" :confused: , where over 500 million Thai citizens engaged in a fiercely competitive game of Scum, with gambling revenue estimated at over (OMG!) USD :eek: 30 trillion :confused:

How to play Scum :oops:
    Scum is a card game based on the ideals of cutthroat American Capitalism: to wit, the rich get richer, and the poor...well, just don't be poor :confused:!
    http://home.utah.edu/~msm25/scum.html
    ~TL~:D ROFL

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That would've made more sense to say that since those 20 years mentioned include the present.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hmm ... if you follow the related link for Gambling in Thailand, it says 120 playing cards, not 2. Am I right in assuming the thrust of the law is not in stopping individuals from doing things but preventing organized gambling activity ?

I know that the Pokemon games have gambling in them -- slot machines -- so I looked up information to see if there has been any controversies. Found this link... https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_controversy#Gambling ..Its a different set of considerations from an online game though, since they were able to manage to modify the game for international release, and most of the controversies also seemed to originate from the fact that they wanted to market the game for minors.

Speaking of craftable game chips as suggested by @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos , I wonder whether tarot cards would by themselves be considered "playing cards", if put in the hands of players. I'm actually at the moment working on drawing a set of tarot cards, both a Marseilles deck and a SotA-inspired deck.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It's just like the echoes of King Robert :oops:
    :rolleyes: When it becomes a problem or something to need a tax on it, then it becomes illegal at that point here in Thailand. Gambling houses are busted on a regular basis here and shown on TV.
    So, "it is a law", but it's just not enforced unless it's a slow day or the local complain they were ripped off, or had a bad debt, or someone wasn't paid off, or it's cutting into an official condoned gambling, such as Chicken Fights when the off duty police are winning, or the Pigeon Races as long as you're the owner of the pigeon or chicken in the fighting ring.

o_O But when it becomes illegal around here, "then it's truly something that isn't allowed in Thailand any longer" and stiff penalties before you're deported ... never to return o_O Such a thing could even arise from a locally made internet game having lost a single customer to our SOTA or an official's kid who got angry at the game.

The game "Tropico" is banned in Thailand for whatever reasons, yet blamed on it's revolution innuendo :confused:~TL~

King Robert likes this.
  14. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Back when EQ2 had an RMT server, the in-game gambling goblin was specifically disabled for that server, so Sony at least didn't judge the potential costs to be worth the benefits (though to be fair, I'll also point out the company made a percentage commission off RMT sales which could have been a significant contributor to their concerns.

Regardless of legality, in-game gambling (whether done by company-provided mechanisms or solely by player initiative) impacts RMT trading, because in the US at least, sellers who trade enough to file taxes on their business have to either keep their business completely clear of any gambling involvement or keep a separate ledger for it because gambling profits are taxed differently than earned income, and individuals can get in a lot of trouble if they don't take that divide seriously.

Not saying that that is, or should be, Port's concern. Just mentioning it as something that goes hand-in-hand with having RMT as an advertised game feature that has a high likelihood of affecting more player dynamics than intended.

On Port's end I think @Berek already summed it up best that whether or not it can be done is subordinate to other higher priorities having more urgency for the time being. But ultimately I think it would be very tricky, though probably not impossible, to endorse both RMT and gambling, so I wouldn't expect explicit gambling mechanisms to be made unless there comes a preceding determination that RMT endorsement isn't proving profitable enough to the company to justify complicating or having to hold back on other desired features that conflict with it.

15. Visaard's Producer

Visaard's Producer Avatar

imagine a new SOTA cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, name COTO
    everytime a block is solved by hardwares hash miners : some COTO randomly appears in game in blood bay (visible).

player have to run over COTO to loot it , then have to stay alive and run back to exit to secure looted coins

a next gen Huntercoin - Human Mine-able Crypto Currency

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.